Author Topic: The tipping point  (Read 10522 times)

Offline 7LES

• Battlezone Captain
    • View Profile
The tipping point
« on: February 19, 2006, 07:41:45 pm »
From the moment i saw this game i wondered if at each level if there is a "tipping point" a point were you are fairly unbeatable and shortly after you go on to the next stage. In the micro stage its when your little amoeba is unbeatable, in evolution i guess there is not one, in civ stage it will probably be when your tribe is the most dominant, at the city stage it would be when you have taken from 1/4 to maybe 1/2 of your planet and there are no other nations that can effectively attack you, i guess in theory in the space stage there is no tipping point because there is always a bigger federation of planets someone else made that can challenge you but who knows.

Do you think there will be tipping points in every stage most importantly in the space stage? I think it would be beyond cool if there was no tipping point in the space stage that way you could play almost forever.

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
Re: The tipping point
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2006, 07:50:16 pm »
well the microscopic stage probably won't last very long, between a half hour and an hour prob so its either harder to reach the tipping point (less time to get there) or it won't matter much because its a short stage.

the fact that the computer will balance the ecosystem as you evolve means that there shouldn't be a tipping point, there may be a tipping point where you are a top predator or you have defenses so good that you repel most predators, but that would be part of the game cause sooner or later the prey will adapt to you or the computer will add something that can get past your defenses and kill you.

as for the space stage, I don't know what the tipping point will be or if there even is one because its so huge and there are so many things that can happen and so many ways to interact.

Offline Mason11987

• Rally-X Roadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2006, 07:51:41 pm »
Well you can play forever, there is no END.  And it is most likely that there will be a point where you are unbeatable in the space age, although the existance of "alliances" (to quote Wright) assumes that there will be an enemy.  The actual power of this enemy is still in question though.  A lot of the space age is still in question actually.
My Sporepedia page: http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Mason11987
On GS: http://www.gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=12609.0

Maxis and Spore - Bringing your imagination to life:

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2006, 07:54:34 pm »
Well you can play forever, there is no END.  And it is most likely that there will be a point where you are unbeatable in the space age, although the existance of "alliances" (to quote Wright) assumes that there will be an enemy.  The actual power of this enemy is still in question though.  A lot of the space age is still in question actually.

yea thats the main reason why we are uncertain about the tipping point at that stage, but we already know that there are tons of stuff you can do in the UFO stage and there are so many interactions I don't know what sort of tipping point would be. I know there would be one as far as interacting with alien species and blowing up thier planet, but I don't know about the other stuff.

Offline xnodas

• Frogger Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2006, 07:55:58 pm »
Well, in the Bacteria Stage, I think it wil be a more easy transition to being an aquatic creature.  Like you wont just be like pop, "I'm a fish."  It will be more slowly and there will always be something that can eat you throughout the two stages, and including the Land Creature Stage.  I think the tribe stage will be the same way.  You will slowly be able to build more sturtures until you reach a city, and all of the other yous will be building cities as well.  I think it will more smooth like that, but when you have 1/2 your world conquered, I'd say Yeah you are unbeatable by other cities.

The Space Stage is huge.  I'm talking like Morrowind huge with literly millions of things you can do, but put enough man hours into then it will become easy. (Morrowind was a bad example.  It takes like five hours and you can kill the ending boss, but it would take 200 hours easy to do every mission.)
"Tell me what you cherish most...give me the pleasure of taking it away." Final Fatasy VII: Advent Children

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2006, 08:00:51 pm »
also, I think the tipping point in the evolution stage will be something much more dynamic because when you reach a tipping point, the ecosystem has to reach equilibrum and so it would level things out by adding different creatures or modifying existing creatures (I don't know how exactly the computer will handle the adaptating part...) to adapt in response to what you did. so any tipping point you reach will be brief unless its some kind of uber-uber fast creature or something....

Offline sgore

• Questron Serf
  • Actually, Jeopardy is my second favorite game show
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2006, 08:35:13 pm »
A lot of the space age is still in question actually.
A lot of the whole game is in question.  :P ;)
What meme is relevant right now? Look, just imagine I'm riffing on that. Updating signatures is exhausting.

Sam:The Ploofy Master

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2006, 08:40:33 pm »
I am guessing by UFo it will be realtive like the Sims 2. Perhaps you get a bunch of UFO feature and colonize a bunch of planets but then the resources of your first planets wear out or your shape ship needs to be repair etc. Things that wear out or break just like in the Sims where you can buy all the best items but eventually your big screen TV will need to be fixed or your nice car will need a tune up. That sorrta thing.

Offline xnodas

• Frogger Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2006, 11:30:01 pm »
The tipping point for the Space Stage is when your technology developes enough to where you can destroy the galaxy. Then you hold eveything in your galaxy for ransome.
"Tell me what you cherish most...give me the pleasure of taking it away." Final Fatasy VII: Advent Children

Offline Lambsquirter

• Megamania Megalomaniac
  • Don't play with your food
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2006, 02:12:40 am »
but why would u want to destroy the actual galxy..then u wont have anything left to conquer :P
Under construction

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2006, 04:02:00 am »
but why would u want to destroy the actual galxy..then u wont have anything left to conquer :P
um.. so you could go to the next galaxy?

Offline happydan20

• Venture Conqueror
  • Discovered the "everything syndrome."
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2006, 11:33:12 am »
will made it sound like you could invest in your parts, when you invested enough into the brain you moved on...  perhaps if you simply forgo that investment youll stay as you are.
I survived the flood of 2008 and all I got was this crappy homelessness.

Offline DarkMaiar

• Fire Truck Driver
  • Behold the mighty Willosaur... all cower in awe.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2006, 04:12:32 pm »
The tipping point for the Space Stage is when your technology developes enough to where you can destroy the galaxy. Then you hold eveything in your galaxy for ransome.

I don't think that it is even possible to visit all of the hundreds and hundreds of thousands of planets that WW is planning on the galaxy being composed of so the chances of being able to destroy it all is probably zip

Offline xnodas

• Frogger Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2006, 06:25:14 pm »

I don't think that it is even possible to visit all of the hundreds and hundreds of thousands of planets that WW is planning on the galaxy being composed of so the chances of being able to destroy it all is probably zip

theres only thousands not hundreds of thousands.  i've played games where i still havent beat in over 200 hours now.  it is very easy to blow up a planet, even a solar system if you target the sun or suns.  unless there is some massive delay in being able to fire your planet buster then it will only take a maximum of five mintues to destroy and find the next target and a thousand solar systems could be erased within 84 hours.

Offline happydan20

• Venture Conqueror
  • Discovered the "everything syndrome."
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2006, 07:09:10 pm »
we don't know that its possible to blow up a sun.  We also don't know what kind of resource it would take to blow up a planet...  Although will eluded to it being massive.

I don't think anyone's going to be blowing up planets at any high rate of speed...  also figure how fast the universe will grow, I seriously doubt you'd break even.

8)
I survived the flood of 2008 and all I got was this crappy homelessness.