Author Topic: Can you be stopped late game?  (Read 4198 times)

Offline Evil Lil Spore

• Microvision Master
    • View Profile
Can you be stopped late game?
« on: February 19, 2006, 04:19:55 pm »
Awesome, My first post!
Alright,, so since I found out about this game a couple weeks ago, I have been wondering about this. Once you get to the UFO stage, will there be other civilizations that can match (or be ahead) of your civilization technology wise? That can actually defeat you? If this is the case, I hope there will be more kinds of ships than just UFO's.
"Wright talked about how the game mechanics were really homage to all his favorite classic games. The tide-pool played like Pac-Man, the tribal game played like Populous, the city conflict game played like Civilization" So why not add a space conflict that plays like starwars, with bombers and fighters and frigates and what have you.
As fun as the UFO sounds, having one all powerful ship at the end doesn't seem to present this possibility. So why not split its effects among other ships, instead of having one devastating ship. For that matter, what about vehicles? Can you edit more then there looks, but edit their rate of fire and life as well? This will allow the kind of starwars thing I am thinking of. I can picture Spore late game could end up as a kind of Empire vs Rebellion for galactic dominance.
Oh, and one last thing. How good will the individual creatures AI be? Will they need to eat to survive, and rest? If so, can a food supply be killed out or will it be ever respawning? Can natural resources run out? I am just so overwhelmed with ideas right now!

Offline Slyght

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Can you be stopped late game?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2006, 04:29:24 pm »
Most of the questions you asked can't be answered at this point, because we really don't know much besides what was shown at GDC '05 and Steve's interviews.

At the space stages of the game, there is diplomacy type stuff you can do with other alien civilizations, so yes, there probably be warfare/alliances of some sort as well.  You can't just go around destroying planets without repercussions :)  Will you be able to control whole starfleets?  Unknown at this time.  I imagine you could edit your UFO to look like whatever you want it to, though, if you wanted it to look like the Millenium Falcon or something.

Yes, you can edit more than just looks with vehicles, the parts have functionality, including their attacks and defense probably.

Most of the creature stuff you ask is not really known at this point, but yes, you do have to eat to survive.

Offline 762

• Metroid Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2006, 04:29:34 pm »
http://www.gamingsteve.com/archives/2005/06/will_wright_int_1.php

(scroll down to see the Spore video)
http://www.pqhp.com/cmp/gdctv/

That's all the spore info we've got right now, except for speculation. But anyway, here's what I can tell you:

Once you get to the UFO stage, will there be other civilizations that can match (or be ahead) of your civilization technology wise? I think you set the pace for technology so you're not up against an incredible superpower when you're just a fledgling. You won't be in tribal when another civilation from your planet gets the UFO

That can actually defeat you? It's a game, so defeat is always a possibility. Otherwise where's the fun? :)

So why not add a space conflict that plays like starwars, with bombers and fighters and frigates and what have you. Because that's expecting way too much out of one game. This is a "universe in a box," but remember that there are limitations to everything.

Can you edit more then there looks, but edit their rate of fire and life as well? You can edit the functionality of vehicles by adding cannons and propellers and stuff like that, but I don't know how detailed that will get.

Oh, and one last thing. How good will the individual creatures AI be? Will they need to eat to survive, and rest? If so, can a food supply be killed out or will it be ever respawning? Can natural resources run out? You should probably send those questions to Steve via PM. He might answer them on the show.

Spore countdowns: USA Europe

Offline Feigro

• Star Castle Cadet
  • Yea. Really.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2006, 04:41:31 pm »
That can actually defeat you? It's a game, so defeat is always a possibility. Otherwise where's the fun? :)

Not necessarily true.. you couldn't really be defeated in simFarm.. Simcity.. the Sims.. Sure, there WERE ways you could loose in those games... but seriously.. Unless it's intentional, it's pretty damned hard to loose in the Sims for example.

Also, it's been said you do infact set the pace for technology, which includes species on your home planet being unable achieve sentience other than yours (similiar to humans being the one sentient race on earth) there are of course, different tribes. When it comes to other worlds, the A.I. lacks the U.F.O. tools, such as the planetary death ray, infact I'm of the understanding only you can get a U.F.O.

The end-game is a sandbox, you can be killed on your way there I'd say, but once your get to the galactic level, I'd say it's impossible to loose.

Which I don't mind, personally.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2006, 04:47:00 pm by Feigro »
"We're calling it Spore..."

Offline Evil Lil Spore

• Microvision Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2006, 04:57:58 pm »
The end-game is a sandbox, you can be killed on your way there I'd say, but once your get to the galactic level, I'd say it's impossible to loose.

Which I don't mind, personally.

Ok, I really wouldn't mind not losing that much ether, but I still think I would eventually get sick of screwing with civilizations, however dealing with galatic unrest and wars would add a whole new level to the game.

Offline Feigro

• Star Castle Cadet
  • Yea. Really.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2006, 05:11:05 pm »
but I still think I would eventually get sick of screwing with civilizations

I agree.. and, not to get into the habit of comparing these two games... BUT, it's the same difference with Sims. Plenty of people can say "I'd eventually get sick of screwing with a family/people" and some people did, I was one of them, bought the game, played it tons, loved it. It was a fantastic game, do I play it any more? nah, I got "tired" of it, for lack of a better phrase. However, there are still THOUSANDS of people that play the Sims regularly.

Would Spore be more interesting if it delved into the more complex scenarios of galactic warfare and diplomacy? Absolutely. Will it? mm.. probably not.

"We're calling it Spore..."

Offline Evil Lil Spore

• Microvision Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2006, 05:27:23 pm »
Well said, but I can always dream can't I?

Offline Spriggand

• Asteroids Aficionado
  • It's HIDEOUS! RUN AWAY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2006, 06:36:29 pm »
Well said, but I can always dream can't I?

Nope. I just telepathically disabled the area of your brain that controls dreams. Now your life is hopeless! Muwahahaha!
OH MY CRAP IT'S E3

Offline Evil Lil Spore

• Microvision Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2006, 08:14:13 pm »
Well I am going to go to your house tonight, and shoot you in the face. What do you think about that, telepath boy??

Offline Quantum Burrito

• Donkey Kong King
  • Up, Down, Strange, Charm, Top, Bottom, Burrito
    • View Profile
Quote from: The Will
In a movie, one can always pull back and condemn the character or the artist ... But in playing a game ... we can be encouraged to examine our own values by seeing how we behave within virtual space.
tl;dr. But with all those shiny symbols and numbers it's probably awsome.

Offline happydan20

• Venture Conqueror
  • Discovered the "everything syndrome."
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2006, 10:13:59 pm »
that really is the question: will the civilizations keep pace with you (such as never using a nuke till you do) or will you enter into a Galaxy that has already seen civilizations come and go. 

I'd prefer the second myself, but who knows how it will be.
I survived the flood of 2008 and all I got was this crappy homelessness.

Offline Evil Lil Spore

• Microvision Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2006, 11:25:21 pm »
You certianly can't be getting nuked while in diablo or civ games, but mabey they can have ruins of alien technologys and such.

Offline Aybraus

• Track and Field Jock
  • aka VFX Watch aka Toothy aka Chris.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2006, 11:52:52 pm »
What I judged from the GDC video is that the UFO stage is gonna be all about figuring out what the fork all the buttons on the spaceship do, and then messing around with them.

Also, about winning.  In all of WW's games, you can't "lose" in a game, but you can end up really set back.
I'm toothy22 on Steam. Someone needs to invite me into the GS clan!

Offline B.A.S.

• Zaxxon Zealot
  • WAR GSP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2006, 01:16:27 am »
hhhmmm that brings up another question VFX, what happens if your city gets destroy or all of your Followers get killed?
Your Friendly Canadian Fighter :)
"It is defeat that turns bone to flint, gristle to muscle- it is defeat that makes men invincible"- Henry Ward Beecher
Inkling:Durgon only comes by when he is taking a break from beating up people and animals

Offline Lambsquirter

• Megamania Megalomaniac
  • Don't play with your food
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2006, 01:52:43 am »
You certianly can't be getting nuked while in diablo or civ games, but mabey they can have ruins of alien technologys and such.

yes, i hope to that you will be able to have ruins and such when u come accross them, u can explore and wonder.  This idea of ruins was mentioned in another thread here
http://www.gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=546.0 :P
Under construction