Author Topic: Star Wars: Empire at War  (Read 1725 times)

Offline TheShark

• Kaboom Boomer!
  • It was either that or a rattle-snake bite...
    • View Profile
Star Wars: Empire at War
« on: February 17, 2006, 07:39:34 am »
Wow, I just got it last night and it is awesome!

The tutorial tooltips are the only downfall so far. There seems to be no way to skip a tooltip, so the tutorial takes a pretty long time to get through. But the tutorial is very helpful, just a little repetitive. Other then that I've been having a blast. The fact that you can auto-resolve battles helps a lot(Steve should be happy). I love the space battles, but hate the ground battles. I mean they are good, but I've been playing C&C First Decade and Age of Mythology for the past few weeks, so I'm kinda sick of RTS battle for a little while.

The Campaign is really fun so far; I'm currently Imperial. And I did play a skirmish map, which took a little to get used to, but seems like it will be a lot of fun online. Although I think they should make skirmish maps larger then the ones they currently have. They were meant for four people but were hard enough with just two. Seems like with four people, all the maps would be sudden death.

Graphics are great turned up, and okay turned down. The sound is fantastic as well. Of course there's a great soundtrack, but i like all the voice-overs. They added some cool prequel information in there with the New Hope stuff (Ex. Having to go to Geonosis to develop and build the Death Star).

The AI is pretty good too. Easy can be tough. You'll notice right away from the tutorial to the Campaign how many units you have to make and lose. Although in the campaign, an easy tactic seems to be that no one attacks your planets right off, so you can wait and build up money right off. I did that for a bit and had 2 planets with just mining facilities and two other just making ships and units.

Anyway, awesome game so far. Thoughts?

Edit: The patch for this game was released and I downloaded it before the store I bought the game from even finished stocking it.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2006, 09:32:29 am by TheShark »

Wow, this makes me realize how long it's been since I was an active user here.

Offline Serinen

• Asteroids Aficionado
  • Excellent
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars: Empire at War
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2006, 09:20:43 am »
Great game but it feel like it's missing something,I can't quite put my finger on what it is.
My Sporepedia Page
The First Spore Stop Motion Animation
An analog man lost in a digital age... cue the sad music.

Offline TheShark

• Kaboom Boomer!
  • It was either that or a rattle-snake bite...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2006, 09:35:23 am »
Great game but it feel like it's missing something,I can't quite put my finger on what it is.

More units, bigger battles, bigger maps, more upgrades/technology, not sure what else. But I agree, it feels a little empty some times.

Wow, this makes me realize how long it's been since I was an active user here.

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
  • Life is worth much more than gold
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2006, 11:05:29 am »
My copy was sent today so I hope it arrives tomorrow.

Quote from: /lurk
PALM: Oh face, come closer. I've needed your touch since I heard that fundamentalist Christians were being stupid again.
FACE: Not again! Quickly Palm, come to me!

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo

Offline Desram

• Pong Paddle
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2006, 10:37:03 pm »
I've played for maybe a couple of hours so far. I'm not really sure what to make of it yet. The game is very pretty and serves the license well. I am having trouble coping with the real time on the strategy map. I was playing the campaign and all the sudden a nearby planet declared for the rebellion and started dumping corvettes on me. I found myself using the "resolve batte" buttons a lot after that happened. The fun sort of died for me there. I'll give it some more time tomorrow I guess.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2006, 11:03:40 pm »
Yeah the Real Time was a cool thing at first but it got really annoying for me as well.

Offline FoxSpirit

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2006, 04:18:50 am »
Well, fighting a winning battle is over in 7 minutes... loosing, defensive battles are something different.

Yeah, you fight quite a couple of battles but I'm still in the process of learning how to dissect a SpaceStation the best possible way... I think trying to go for hangars is the best bet you have since the endless troop supply of it is killer.
Cellphone ringtones, the Chinese water-torture of our time.

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2006, 04:32:13 am »

It didn't.

PALM: Oh face, come closer. I've needed your touch since I heard that fundamentalist Christians were being stupid again.

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2006, 04:45:31 am »

It didn't.

It finally came, WHOO HOOO!

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2006, 11:20:27 am »
I blew up Hoth.

<_<
>_>

What?