Author Topic: Red Mars, Green Mars, Blue Mars  (Read 7404 times)

Offline Lambsquirter

• Megamania Megalomaniac
  • Don't play with your food
    • View Profile
Red Mars, Green Mars, Blue Mars
« on: February 16, 2006, 10:21:56 pm »
i have finished red mars, and currently (slowly) going through green mars.
This is a very good book, about the terraforming of mars in the future and shows the emotional and human imapact of this.

Under construction

Offline otaku62

• Brain Games Mastermind
    • View Profile
Re: Red Mars, Green Mars, Blue Mars
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2006, 01:17:34 pm »
I read all three last year, partly because my girlfriend wanted me to read one of her favorite books (as it's usually the other way round).
I thought Kim Stanley Robinson (the author) must be kind of crazy to go to all the trouble of imagining the technology and, most of all, hundreds of years of history and politics about the process of colonizing Mars - for thousands of pages. I found the books kind of boring, because the main characters don't really come to life and nothing that happens is told in detail or in a gripping way - due mainly to the fact (I suppose) that the books cover such a large timespan. But stilll - I read them to the very end and it really was quite an experience!

Offline Lambsquirter

• Megamania Megalomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2006, 09:40:25 pm »
oh, ur g/f made u read it...lol
:)
anyways, i guess my favourite part in the first Red Mars is when the gigantic space elevator came crashing down to the planet mars, and then the moon Phobos was destroyed by remote detination, and crashed on the planet.  I am good at visualising this in my head,..i think though it will make a great movie/tv series... 8)
Under construction

Offline lemurbouy

• Defender Devotee
  • oh my...
    • View Profile
    • Leeman's Livejournal!
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2006, 04:32:03 am »
I hate to be negative but what would a forum be without its braying jackasses so here I am.  I really can't stand Red Mars.  I've read it twice now, once for fun and again for a class and both times I've hated it.  I have always described it as a cross between a science textbook and 13 year old girl's diary.  In all seriousness, I enjoyed the terraforming ideas and I think dealing with religion was a very interesting choice but the writing is just so poor.  Quick example and then I'll get off my soapbox and listen to any refutations: I war reading Red Mars for a class and I got a copy of George R. R. Martin's Tuf Voyaging.  I quickly took a break and read Tuf Voyaging in a matter of hours.  Right after finishing, I went to continue reading Red Mars and it was literally painful.  The pacing and the writing styles were so jarringly dissimilar in quality that I just couldn't do it.  Now that I've had my piece, I am satisfied.  Continue. -leeman

Offline Lambsquirter

• Megamania Megalomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2006, 05:29:47 am »
everyone has a right to say their mind my friend, lol, but do u like science fiction? i guess u have to appreciate science fiction to understand it in a romantic way (i sleep with my red mars!)..:P
anyways, it can be slow in some parts, but i did like it, because i can picture the story in my head..
hehe

bye the way, is that u in the avatar, theres someone like that in every forum.. ::)
Under construction

Offline lemurbouy

• Defender Devotee
  • oh my...
    • View Profile
    • Leeman's Livejournal!
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2006, 01:29:31 pm »
I love Science Fiction.  Like I said, the book I read during Red Mars was Tuf Voyaging by George R. R. Martin and it's one of the best sci-fi books ever.  Right now I'm reading both Ursula K. Leguin's Dispossession and Lois McMaster Bujold's Mirror Dance.  I am a huge fan of lasers and distant planets.  I just didn't care much for Red Mars as a whole.  And yes that's me.  And I'm a school teacher.  Scary, no? -leeman

Offline Lambsquirter

• Megamania Megalomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2006, 06:05:25 am »
ur a school teacher, do u scare the kids?.. :)

i haven't read green mars for a while now, i hope i dont lose interest..
Under construction

Offline happydan20

• Venture Conqueror
  • Discovered the "everything syndrome."
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2006, 06:41:24 pm »
i know this is slighty off topic although ive red all three... I hate the whole "space hicks" theme science fiction seems cursed with not just in books but movies and tv... you know where they all have southern accents or like to get dirty with the engines rather then talk to people or use out of date earth phrases... drives me nuts!
I survived the flood of 2008 and all I got was this crappy homelessness.

Offline Lambsquirter

• Megamania Megalomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2006, 12:25:04 am »
are thyere space hicks in the mars thing
 but i understand where your coming from, i hate that idea aswell. i guess the good thing about that is that if they don't know how something works, they have to explain to the hicks, which in turn explains it to us...technology, etc..
Under construction

Offline Fumanchu

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2006, 01:26:48 pm »
I was so very close to picking up this trilogy, starting with Red Mars, but everytime I picked it up and randomly flipped to a page, it didn't hold my interest. Happened too often! I decided to give the author a chance and read his "Years of Rice and" something or other. Holy Maccanoli, what an incredibly terribly paced, boring book and a half! As all good books do, this one started off rather promisingly but then proceeded to document to the reader how a horrific nosedive would feel on the head. The reincarnation thing and being a part of a group throughout the lives was interesting, but definitely not enough to remain wholly captivated page-by-page especially since it literally felt like you were starting over for every generation. Because of this I cannot invest my energy into RGB Mars.

Offline Scipion

• Stargate Superstar
  • Returned from the grave, now with more immunities!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2006, 04:46:44 pm »
I read those a few years back, I thought they were a very good look at what might happen on Mars one day. The author did so much research for the book it's insane. The first one is pretty boring, but things start getting better in the second and third one. I hear there's a fourth book out, but I'm nto sure where it fits into the story.
-Just like Gaming Steve all of my ideas, suggestions, and comments are merely edjucated guesses. These are based on prior experience and current released info.-

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2006, 01:40:17 am »
I read these a couple of years ago as well. I actually quite like them - each book appeals to a different aspect of interests. However, they do draw on excessively, and I feel that Robinson really preaches his own form of social politics and religion far too much.

Offline stuck

• Robotron Automaton
  • Who is John Galt?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2006, 02:01:42 pm »
I think Kim Stanley Robinson was insane going through all that trouble to invent all the social, political, cultural, tech., advancements. He made another book, I think the Years of Rice and Salt. Essentially its another large thought experiment. The book tells of what would have happened had the Bubonic Plague wiped out 99% of Europe, causing Asia to gain power, and snowballs from there. I didn't read it though.

Offline Scipion

• Stargate Superstar
  • Returned from the grave, now with more immunities!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2006, 04:23:59 pm »
If you like books with sort of a "What if scenario" try reading the Redemption of Christopher Columbus. I thought it was very good. Essentially what happens is World War three decimates the planet, but we sorta recover from it enough to have a peaceful civilization. Then we invent a way to view the past. I can't really say more than that without getting into spoilers.
-Just like Gaming Steve all of my ideas, suggestions, and comments are merely edjucated guesses. These are based on prior experience and current released info.-

Offline Lambsquirter

• Megamania Megalomaniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2006, 03:34:15 am »
sounds like a great book, i should give it a read sometime( years of rice and salt), and yes, i still havent picked green mars from where i was reading it from last..hehe..so i guess i lost interest..bugger.
Under construction