Author Topic: Episode 38 Posted  (Read 8454 times)

Offline Gaming Steve

• Master Chief
  • Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Steve
Episode 38 Posted
« on: February 14, 2006, 11:36:48 pm »
This week I talk about my upcoming interview with the The Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion team, I review Darwinia (another IGF Competition Finalist), answer lots of audio questions, and so much more. Enjoy!

Gaming Steve Episode 38 Program
  • 00:03:17  Game News:
    • Crystal Quest shoot onto Xbox 360 Arcade, but it isn't the same Quest as before.
    • The DS to support voice chat.
    • "Hasta la Vista Baby" ... Halo 2 heading to PC.
    • DS download stations coming Stateside.
    • Half-Life 2 becomes episodic.
    • Solitaire games gets NYC worker fired.
    • Xbox 360 shortages coming to an end?
    • A look at the January top 20 console sales.
  • 00:25:18  SporeTalk: A quick overview of what the heck is Spore anyhow? And some info on the Spore demo.
  • 00:41:35  Game Review: Darwinia for the PC.
  • 00:52:12  RetroReview: Command & Conquer for the PC, Macintosh, Nintendo 64, PlayStation, and Saturn.
  • 01:02:43  “Name That Game!” contest winner from last week, a new clip, and a very cool prize!
  • 01:07:36  Show Mail: I answer your audio and email questions.
  • 01:57:41  Final Thoughts: What do you do when you get into the gaming doldrums?.

Get the Podcast from this page (124 minutes): Gaming Steve Episode 38 (MP3).

Subscribe to the Podcast directly in iTunes (MP3).
Add the Gaming Steve Podcast feed to your RSS aggregator.
Vote for Gaming Steve on Podcast Alley.

To enter the "Name that Game!" contest to write me an email with the name of the game and the platform at: game AT gamingsteve.com

Check out Gaming Steve on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/thegamingsteve

Offline Mangerman

• Tempest Top Dog
    • View Profile
Re: Episode 38 Posted
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2006, 11:44:50 pm »
AAAhw, i just need to go to school right now, so i have to wait until i am back home :(
A multitude of rulers is not a good thing. Let there be one ruler, one king.

Offline Martham112

• Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2006, 11:50:07 pm »
Listening right now.

Offline UndeadScottsman

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2006, 12:38:09 am »
Since I can't post comments apparently
---------------------
Just want to clear up some stuff on the Half-Life 2: Episode 1 thing.

Originally it was titled "Half-Life 2: Aftermath," and initial price statement was 12.99 (Though it has been speculated that it was the "pre-ordered" price, and it would be a 13 dollar preorder, 15 dollar normal price on Steam).  It was always mentioned as being episodic though.  (An article in the September issue of CGW even talked about what they're thinking about for the next episode.)

The original statement was that the would put out one of these episodes every three months (CGW article), but considering this is Valve, I'll be surprised if they stick to that release schedule, especially considering how long they've been working on Aftermath. :D  The  episode was said to be "3-4 hours" "1/3rd as long as Half-Life 2" and "Around five hours" (Gabe’s FAQ) so I'm guessing mileage will vary.

Originally it was ambigious on whether or not it'll get a retail release or just be Steam only, but since then we've seen listing for a retail package that Valve clarified that would contain Aftermath, Half-Life 2: Deathmatch and Half-Life: Source Deathmath, for $20 bucks.  This would be available by April 24th. (Teamkiller Article)

Now, the gaming press kept calling Aftermath an expansion and not an episode, which I'm guessing is what prompted Valve to rename it to "Episode 1."  Personally I think the name pales compared to "Aftermath" but whatever I guess.  Whether or not the prior information on Aftermath applies to Episode 1 is unknown.

Sources:
Gabe’s FAQ: http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Gabe_Newell%27s_FAQ
CGW September 2005 Article:  Not online, unfortunately.
Teamkiller Article: http://tkv2.teamkilled.net/display/article/half-life-2-aftermath-platinum-price/
I couldn’t find sources for the original price, nor a few of the length estimates, but since they’re probably out of date anyway, I guess that doesn’t matter :D

I hope you found this post useful :D

Offline UndeadScottsman

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2006, 01:07:48 am »
Oh, and are you sure about your RTS dates?  Everything I've seen points to Warcraft I being released in 1994. (Gamespot's History of RTS article, and wikipedia amoung the two that I could find the quickest.)  It's still beaten to the punch by Dune II (released in 1992 like you said), but it looks like it did in fact come out before Command and Conquer in 1995.  (And I'm pretty sure Blizzard didn't generate Warcraft II in less than 10 or 11 months,  and since it came out in 1995, that would definantly put WC1's date somewhere in 1994)

EDIT: Whoops, here's a link to the Gamespot article: http://www.gamespot.com/gamespot/features/all/real_time/

EDIT2: Okay, finished the podcast.  Another good one.  I especially loved the review of Darwinia (I'm always glad to see that game get more press) and I agree with you that it was a little on the short side. (Still, I would have bought it $40 bucks like I did even knowing how short it was.).

BTW, did you hear that Will Wright isn't just speaking at GDC?  He's doing the Keynote speech for GDC! http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=14716

I can't wait. :D
« Last Edit: February 15, 2006, 04:38:44 am by UndeadScottsman »

Offline Lord Janos

• Wizardry Whiz
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2006, 05:28:54 am »
Just listened to it - thanks for answering my question on Oblivion Steve - I'm looking forward to the next episode with the interview with Bethesda. 

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2006, 07:23:56 am »
As a fellow Angle i must remark on the fact that you sounded a little Australian when asking your question... are you an ex-pat or is it just a product of audio inaccuracy?
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Gaming Steve

• Master Chief
  • Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Steve
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2006, 07:55:10 am »
Oh, and are you sure about your RTS dates?  Everything I've seen points to Warcraft I being released in 1994. (Gamespot's History of RTS article, and wikipedia amoung the two that I could find the quickest.)  It's still beaten to the punch by Dune II (released in 1992 like you said), but it looks like it did in fact come out before Command and Conquer in 1995.  (And I'm pretty sure Blizzard didn't generate Warcraft II in less than 10 or 11 months,  and since it came out in 1995, that would definantly put WC1's date somewhere in 1994)

Opps, you are correct. Warcraft did come out in 1994 and not 1996. Crap, I thought my memory was playing tricks on me when I said that, oh well, I will mention this one in the next podcast and fix my mistake. Either way what else I said is still true, that Warcraft I was good, but it lacked in many areas. Command & Conquer was really a huge step in the RTS genre (as was Warcraft II).

Offline Lord Janos

• Wizardry Whiz
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2006, 11:07:25 am »
As a fellow Angle i must remark on the fact that you sounded a little Australian when asking your question... are you an ex-pat or is it just a product of audio inaccuracy?

I'm part New Zealand, so maybe that's why i have a hint of an accent - people remark on it from time to time!

Offline Mr. Wizard

• Karate Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2006, 01:41:20 pm »
Oblivions Collector Edition contains a DVD that has stuff like a "Making Of" movies on it. The trailer is on their website. It also come with a metal "Drake" coin from the world it is set in. I can't remember what else.

The devs talk about in this Developer Diary. By the demon PR manager Pete Hines.

EDIT: Hey! I finished the show and you didn't say anything of the big, exciting thing that will get you a million listeners! You had me hanging and then you don't say anything! What's the deal!
« Last Edit: February 15, 2006, 02:03:30 pm by Mr_Wizard »

Offline OmniOck

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2006, 03:22:34 pm »
To awnser Steave's question about gaming slow-downs. Yeah, I have been in one for a while now. I just, do the internet thing and waste the time trying to find somthing entertaining.
-----

Common sense makes no sense as it is not commonly used!
( And thanks Alex for the sig!)

Offline Gaming Steve

• Master Chief
  • Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Steve
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2006, 07:44:06 pm »
EDIT: Hey! I finished the show and you didn't say anything of the big, exciting thing that will get you a million listeners! You had me hanging and then you don't say anything! What's the deal!

I can't, but it's still in "the works". Once it gets past a certain stage (perhaps in as few as a couple of weeks, perhaps a few months) I can give you guys all the details. But right now ... you will have to patient.

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
  • tastes just like chicken
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2006, 07:47:57 pm »
Well, now I'm MORE curious. Figures that the human brain would work that way. When you DO reveal it, I will be listening intently. :)

Offline Martham112

• Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2006, 03:40:06 am »
Is it live radio?

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2006, 04:13:57 am »
You think Steve has time to do a live radio show?
Quote: "the hardest working man in the games industry"
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.