Author Topic: Kintorrah-new creature  (Read 4613 times)

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
Kintorrah-new creature
« on: February 13, 2006, 03:59:38 pm »

Species: Kintorrah
Diet: omnivorous
Habitat: completely land living although they can swim.
Size: shell is 6 feet long, the tail would be 4 feet long and the head+neck would be about 4 feet long, they stand up to 6 feet at the top of the shell.

The Kintorrah are a large turtle-like race that evolved from 8 legged reptillians, the Kintorrah used to walk on all 8 legs, but as they developed the shell early in thier history, the front pair didn't become the pillar-like wieght bearing legs that the rest became and instead became more mobile so as to grasp things. they can tilt upwards on the rear two pairs of legs so that they can reach for food above them or to reach at some animal prey they got with thier goo (more on that in a min). They have a pair of nostrils located behind the neck which they don't breathe out of because its the opening to a large pocket that they can close. Coming out of each nostril is a 3 foot long tentacle that has hundreds of hairs on the first foot of it that act like a brush to capture particles in the air and when it withdraws into the pocket the hairs release the particles inside the pocket which is filled with smell receptors (Hydro and others, give me your opinion on this feature, I think it biologically makes sense). The tentacle flicks in and out of the hole about once per second, sometimes faster if needed.

While their shell is hard and very strong, they are still vulnerble. However they inherit a type of defense that thier ancestors had long before they evolved the shell. They have a special organ in what we would call the nose that produces a dark blue gooey liquid that is both poisonous and sticky. The organ sits in a large cavity in the 'nose' area (refer to picture below), there are two short tubes on both sides that lead to an individual bulb organ where the liquid is sent to before it is used and there are two valves, one in the tube leading to the organ and to the tube that leads to the 'barrel' that it shoots out of. All four of those 'barrels' on its nose are independently pivotable so it is possible to target 4 things at once. They use this to scare away predators and to trap and kill prey, since they have many gallons of the stuff in the organ they have enough to trap a cow sized creature. They are immune to the poison although it would still become a sticky mess on them. Also, they can turn quickly on the spot because thier 6 legs allow them to turn fast, which adds to thier defense/offense against predators.

for reference, the green area is the organ and the blue lines show where the outside tissue is, the rest shows the bones of that part of the skull

I'll do info on society and stuff a little later. and on a small note, I kept having trouble deciding how or where to put the arm and hand in that area because I'm not very good at drawing hands and all.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2006, 06:57:58 pm by smjjames »

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
Re: Kintorrah-new creature
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2006, 06:35:12 pm »
what do you guys think of this for prehistoric times for society? I keep struggling with the idea but it just doesn't mesh and I can't really continue very well.: "In prehistorical times, the Kintorrah lived in clan style herds of 5-100+ and were led by at least one elder and the whole herd stayed in a large territory, the young Kintorrah sometimes stayed in the birth herd, but the males are usually the first to leave and join a new clan when things get crowded. During breeding and nesting season the whole herd would scatter a little bit as the males did ritual combat and courted the females at the nesting grounds, one male could have up to 20 females in his nesting harem.

Offline MorgothTheEnemy

• Revenging Yar
  • I will find the ring...and eat it FOR THE EMPEROR!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2006, 06:46:15 pm »
well not to be an idiot but the first picture looks like its taking a dump. lol jk. Dont flame my pics now smjjames

I like there history though and good job with the tentacle nose thing very original!
Ash Nazg Durbatuluk,
Ash Nazg Gimbatul,
Ash Nazg Thrakatuluk,
Ag Burzum-Ishi Krimpatul!!!

"Then his neighbors looked good, so I gobbled them up too."
                                                                             -762
http://redwing.hutman.net/~mreed/index.htm

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2006, 06:55:57 pm »
well not to be an idiot but the first picture looks like its taking a dump. lol jk. Dont flame my pics now smjjames

I like there history though and good job with the tentacle nose thing very original!

lol, I guess it sorta does look a little like that. and thanks on the tentacle nose thing, I borrowed the idea of using a tougne like thing for smell from Areku's quillaran and expanded on it. I didn't really make a history yet, although I did make a little bit of an evolutionary history.

Also, can someone give me a good number as far as shooting range for thier nose weapon which is pretty origional as well. These guys are supposed to have a long range with near perfect accuracy at close range (close range would be from 10 feet to 3 feet away, any closer and its pratically point blank range). oh yea, forgot to add something up there which I'll add in a sec.

Offline operaghost21

• Rush'n Attacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2006, 09:48:10 pm »
thats sort of giving me an idea for a creature, they'd have a mindset that things take a long time and that the larger picture is not the fast, but the slower. they'll probably evolve from a slower moving creature like a turtle, thier reflexes are as fast as anything else but they have a heavy shell or something. or would that idea not work that well or dunno? anyway, its an idea. and thier lifespan is also long, up to 200 years in the wild and in the pre civilization era and up to 300 or more in the advanced era with more advanced medical tech.

is this what you were talking about? ;D

very nice, I like it
"You hate people!"
"But I love gatherings. Isn't that ironic?"
~Clerks
Quote from: Kaizer
THINGS TO DO:
Get quoted to a sig [ ]

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2006, 09:50:41 pm »
yea this is the idea that developed. I'm having some trouble getting the prehistorical society stuff to make sense though. I am going to put more about thier society, history, beliefs, and all, but gotta get past this block in the prehistorical society.

Offline operaghost21

• Rush'n Attacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2006, 10:07:20 pm »
maybe you could skip that and then work backwards?
i think that's what i did a few times...
"You hate people!"
"But I love gatherings. Isn't that ironic?"
~Clerks
Quote from: Kaizer
THINGS TO DO:
Get quoted to a sig [ ]

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2006, 10:16:37 pm »
I tried again with the society and I just removed the more detailed parts which kept tying me up. but I got it this time.

Society:

In prehistorical times they lived in herds of between 5-100+ members which is led by an elder and since they live up to 200 years old, the elder is often very experienced and would be considered a very wise individual by humans. During breeding season they settle in an area where food is abundant and set up a nesting ground which can cover a large area in a large herd and they often return to the same area unless the areas food sources are depleted and during a hard year such as a drought they won't mate so that they don't have the added pressure of taking care of a baby which might die in the drought anyway. When they began developing settlements and entered into the bronze age the herd lifestyle fragmented into a smaller version which would resemble a clan. They have various families which pledge to a certain clan and can only mate outside thier clan (a free plate of cookies to the person that guesses where I am deriving this from :) ). The various clans are under a single tribal banner (think of the clans as like your last name and the tribal banner as your nationality). Later on as thier civilization developed they developed systems of government that would resemble a republic sort of thing with appointed councilmembers (the details vary from tribe to tribe). Later when large empires developed and populations increased, this form of government sometimes became complicated and so in some places a method of government resembling democracy with regional council members bieng decided on for government. Despite the occasional dispute over territory or resources (and sometimes they get angry at each other) they are a very peaceful race and because of thier clan/herd mentality they see no real need to kill over something that is either intangible like territory or an abundant resource, that doesn't mean they don't get angry. This combined with the fact that they tend to see things not as going swiftly from day to day or hour to hour but as the wider picture flowing through years and centuries, thier long lifespan of up to 200 years bolsters this.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2006, 01:09:53 pm by smjjames »

Offline huggkruka

• Space Ace
  • Totally powers
    • View Profile
    • My Digitalart.org profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2006, 10:27:38 pm »
The nose tentacle was a good idea in my opionion. Kind of like a snakes tounge, going in and out. And the rest is looking good too.

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2006, 01:33:07 pm »
added some stuff to society up there.

Philosophy/Beliefs:

Partly from thier long lifespan and that they travel slowly they view the wider picture of events as happening slowly over time and that the true nature of the world can be seen in the flow of time. Because of this, they are patient observers and since the time they developed writing there has been writings of someones observations of something not over 10 years, but 50 or more which is a lifetime for humans. While they had the same problem of missing records in many centuries ago when thier scientific revolution started and more official records began, that became replaced by newer and better records over the centuries. In fact, thier technological development didn't suddendly accellerate like ours did, although it did experience a jump during thier industrial revolution, it accellerated slowly and to get from the industrial era to our 'present' took almost 500 years. Even with this idea of slow time, they acknowledged that some things can happen in the briefest of seconds which allowed them to appreciate some things that would be neccesary to science such as quantum physics.

By the time they developed interstellar travel, thier civilization had existed for almost 10,000 years and they had already recieved signals from other sentient species in the galaxy and sent messages back and forth (I don't know which species they would have contacted at that point). Even though they had a few colonies in thier own system, they always wondered what was out there which provided part of the drive to explore. Since in the almost 10,000 years they had learned how to coexist with the environment and how to maintain ecosystems, they were cautious at first when colonizing as they knew what the consequences could be if they disrupted the ecosystem too much.