Author Topic: Horrible treatment of children!!  (Read 8353 times)

Offline Tal

• Rigel Rescuer
  • Farm boy
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Horrible treatment of children!!
« on: February 08, 2006, 03:44:28 pm »
Today, while in Wal-Mart, I was simply browsing around, looking for a Valentine's Day present. Then, out of nowhere, I see this woman round the corner with her two children in tow. However, the boy and girl, both of which couldn't have been over six, were wearing signs around their necks that had the same message written on both sides, "I have been suspended from school for misbehaving. Please laugh at me. This is part of my punishment."

Now, this, to me, is terrible! I cannot understand how this woman could bring her two kids into a store and purposely embarrass them that much! The boy was crying, pleading with his mother to take the sign off. The litte girl was also beginning to bawl, most likely from the multitude of staring people. Now, I'm no expert, but I took high school Psychology, and this was apalling treatment! This kind of punishment is absolutely not necessary and will most likely leave mental scars on those poor kids' psyches.

Thankfully, no one laughed. In fact, most people were making angry remarks and staring in disbelief. Wherever she went, total strangers would congregate behind her and speak in hushed tones about her and the terrible treatment she was administering.

Now, once again, I'm no expert, but according to what I learned in US History, the 8th Amendment to the Constitution of the United States of America says "Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted." Now, I believe that this treatment extends into the cruel and unusual punishment clause. I'm all for spanking a child when they do something wrong, but this is just too much.

Now I'm asking for your opinion. What do you guys make of this. And, do you believe that such a route of punishment is necessary, or even legal? I'm not sure if the Amendment applies to private citizens and their actions, but this is just plain unAmerican.

There are some things mankind was not meant to know...

"If you can't take the heat, get off the car hood." -Bucky Katt

Offline Madchat18

• Mystery House Madman
  • The "I'm Not a ____, but..." King
    • View Profile
Re: Horrible treatment of children!!
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2006, 04:06:53 pm »
Whatever happened to locking your kids in a closet and starving them for a few days???
This space for sale.

Offline Vivec

• Gauntlet Wizard
  • The truth has vanished into darkness...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2006, 04:11:59 pm »
My sister had to do something like that when she got bad grades.
Vivec, you're the best forum member ever.

Offline Interitus

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • You just blipped on my radar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2006, 05:07:22 pm »
What I'd love to know is what children that age could do that is so bad they were suspended.
My karma ran over your dogma

Offline LadyM

• Mortal Kombat Konqueror
  • I'm not confused anymore
    • View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2006, 05:23:10 pm »
I don't think public humiliation for children that young is appropriate at all. I probably would have found it hard to not say anything. Mental abuse is as bad if not worse than physical abuse and certainly worse than a good spanking or grounding. The mental damage done will stay with them through out their lifetime. It's really a shame that happened and it has affected you and many others who had to see it. :-\ Thats sad.

Offline Tal

• Rigel Rescuer
  • Farm boy
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2006, 07:26:21 pm »
My thoughts exactly, LadyM. The only real way to sum this up is psychological torture. Really, this just went over the edge in terms of how a parent should treat their child.
There are some things mankind was not meant to know...

"If you can't take the heat, get off the car hood." -Bucky Katt

Offline Cobra

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2006, 10:13:54 pm »
I would have walked up to the woman inquired about the kids what they did etc and how we are ment to mock them and stuff leaving the woman thinking that you are about to help the punishment along. Then I would have turned to the kid most probably the little boy he seemed to be taking it the worst. Looked him right in the eye and said "I see you got suspended from school good work son keep up the good work."

Although I can't decide if to then turn back to the woman and with a real sarcastic voice say "Oh I'm sorry did I just ruin everything by postively re-enforcing your child." or if i just walk off smuggly leaving the woman dumbfounded and possibly horrified.

Online Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2006, 01:00:05 am »
While the punishment was indeed cruel and unusual it is more likely to be effective. Children that age often arent mature enough to understand a 'symbolic' punsihment like grounding. The whole point of a punishment is that it sticks... If it was me i would have stopped when they started crying though...
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline SumGI

• Joust Warrior
  • If those flies loose their eyes, we are in trouble
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2006, 05:44:24 am »
Torture? Come on, it seems effective...torture? Of all things...but yeah, I think it would make more sense to know what they actaully did to get suspended before you say it's too cruel.
"By placing a light in a field at night, the boy flies fly in, and as they pass near the light they are unknowingly shot in the reproductives by invisible radiation and sterilized...
They mate and die happy. The female lays her eggs and she dies happy. The eggs die and we are happy..."

Offline T-BirD

• Battlezone Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2006, 06:19:49 am »
I'm still trying to figure out how a 6 year old can get suspended.  Was he caught selling flintstones vitamins behind the dumpster or something???

I think it was way excessive too, and I might have said something to her.

...then again, it was at Wal-Mart...that shouldn't have been too much of a surprise after all.

Offline crippits

• Donkey Kong King
  • Insert Llama noise here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2006, 11:39:19 am »
the 8th amendment only applies to the Government actions. Just so you know that.

Here's the thing, if the woman brought them through Wal-Mart, and they then were humbled by it. The woman should then take them out of the store, and talked to each of them. Saying she loves them, and explaining why she did what she did, and why they cannot do whatever they did again. It will most likely work with follow-up from the mother.

I agree with others though, what could they have done to get suspended? Did they bring a weapon to school? Did they threaten to kill someone?

Families have their own way of discipline. What may be extreme to you, may not be to them. Do you know that family? Do you know the kids? Maybe they are extremely unruly kids. Maybe the only way to get through to them was this. Maybe she's tried everything else she can think of.

Fact is, kids get into trouble. and as years pass, kids are getting int more trouble at a younger age. how many more occurrences have you heard about young kids bringing guns to school, or shootings, or just plain murder by someone we would think to be way too young? The occurrences are increasing.

Bow before the Llamas! They demand your respect!

Offline Borogove

• Venture Conqueror
  • mimsy: adj. - flimsy and miserable :(
    • View Profile
    • Meyermike.com
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2006, 11:59:05 am »
Based on the way things are being represented by the media/politicians I would agree.  But everyone I've heard cite a study has been saying these things are actually in decline, and have been declining for some time.
Use those talents you have. You will make it. You will give joy to the world. Take this tip from nature: The woods would be a very silent place if no birds sang except those who sang best.
-- Bernard Meltzer

Check out my games:  http://www.meyermike.com

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
  • Now for some real user power...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2006, 12:15:51 pm »
Oh boy.. where do I start?

Don't tell other people how to raise their children. You saw only a very small part of something that was much larger. (Much like be appalled at seeing a man being tackled by a police officer while he is walking down the street. As far as you know he was just walking, but he might have shot and killed his whole family, or been suspected of being heavily armed.) All we know is that that kids had been suspended from school.

I drove school buses for seven years and I can safely say that most people have no idea how vicious and mean children can really be. If you want to call it torture, go ahead. I was an expert at getting children in to line using intimidation, it was the only tool you really had available. I could run a child emotionally in to the ground in a way that was as painful to them as hitting them in the head with a baseball bat. You had to, or you risked the lives of everybody else on your bus and on the road around you.

'Punishment' for misbehaving children in this country is a $&*%ing joke! Parents are scared to death that some touchy-feely self-appointed savior of the children is going to report them for child abuse for spanking them, or that their own children will report them to the school. Schools are scared to death of lawsuits as well, so they will have little to nothing to do with disapline. They will not act on anything without the parents being involved.

As a bus driver I was very good at what I had to do, get children to and from school safely. But, there was a constant batlle with children just to get them do something you can teach a dog in a few minutes, SIT DOWN. Yes, I would confront a child and compare him to a dog, in front of all his friends and enemies on the bus. I would point out to everybody on the bus that 'Mike' was the reason we were late. Peer pressure is a very powerful tool.

I remember the names of a lot of children from my many years of driving (I did a different route everyday and rarely had the same kids for more than a couple days in a year) but you know why? They were all the troublemakers, the smokers, the fighters... I remember the name a troublesome boy who died when he stuck his head out the window and hit a tree. He was nothing but trouble. Drivers quit over this kid because the school wouldn't do anything about him. He ran the bus. He died with all praises for being a great and wonderful child... he was not. The public was BSed in to thinking it was a horrible accident, but did nothing about it. The tree, which hung out in to the road, should be cut down as a safety hazzard... nope, now it is a shrine. Had someone done something about his issues six months before, he probably would be alive today because he would have been walking home, not yelling out the window at some passing girls.

Children are afforded too much protection in this country. I think the Wal-Mart mom had the right idea. Children will look for the easiest path, this mother is blocking that path and making them find the correct path instead. A time out? Those don't work beyond a ceratin point. A child will tolerate them because there is little feedback from the event. A spanking, even those can backfire or loose their effectiveness. Beating children is not something I endorse, but I can tell you that from my many years of driving children from many cultures, I can understand why it happens.

I am married. I have two children. I do punish them when they misbehave. What some of you call mental torture I call raising a child. I don't want my children to be the ones in the store aisle with a sign around their neck, but if other methods do not work, I would consider it. I don't want my children being the ones pushing people around because they think they can get away with it. I don't want my children in the back of a police car, in court, or a body bag.

I'm sorry if I have offended anybody here with my comments. If you have children of your own and you disagree with me I'm willing to listen (and I mean full time, weekend warrior parents need not apply, you don't see the whole picture either). If you do not have children them please don't waste your breathe, you're not talking from experience, you talking from something else.

"Parents are not interested in justice, they just want quiet." -Bill Cosby

-Lego
« Last Edit: February 09, 2006, 01:24:41 pm by Legodragonxp »

Offline crippits

• Donkey Kong King
  • Insert Llama noise here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2006, 12:40:24 pm »
well said, Lego, well said.

Bow before the Llamas! They demand your respect!

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
  • Now for some real user power...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2006, 03:09:36 pm »
Oh the irony...

So, 15 minutes after I get done with my little rant above, I get a call from the wife. The school called and my daughter (age 7) is in trouble for locking the bathroom stalls and crawling under the stall door, thereby denying anybody access. My daughter is normally a very well behaved child (as far I know) so this is a bit of a shock. The story is that she is hanging out with one of the other 'troublesome but popular' girls so that she can be their friends (and therefore popular too) and this was part of 'being the friend'. Right now she is outside shovelling the snow off the sidewalk (saving wear and tear on the snowblower). Time to do her mother's chores, I guess teh wife gets a break tonight.

In a way I feel sorry for my kids, I won't say I've seen it all, but I've seen a lot. I know there are two sides, and a scared child will say anything to make their side seem better.

"The only time a child will tell the truth is if they are in pain" -Bill Cosby - Himself

-Lego