4 (44.4%)
B
3 (33.3%)
C
0 (0%)
D
2 (22.2%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Author Topic: Yup. Another SPORPG.  (Read 14960 times)

Offline Caltrop

• Defender Devotee
    • View Profile
Re: Yup. Another SPORPG.
« Reply #45 on: February 14, 2006, 03:00:08 pm »
B. A more varied diet will help this creature survive during lean years.
Spore RPG: http://www.gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=2069.0

STRAWBERRYCLOCK IS KING OF THE PORTAL

Offline Stangmar

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 16, 2006, 09:25:34 pm »
Sorry for the delay, folks, but I wasn't about to update until I got six votes (my new bare minimum,) as well as hitting a bit of a speed bump in the form of a 15 page AP history paper. Anyways, I'm back.

------------------

Muscles and teeth develop around the mouth of our creature, which, now that they're a developed creature with form rather than some orb with jets, they would probably need a name. More on that later.

More importantly, our critters begin eating a much larger amount of plants, usually by gently teething into plants and sucking away at the phloem, though with the great amount of effort it takes to expose enough juicy sucrose to make it worthwhile, a kind of communal habit develops, where a small swarm of creatures would crowd around and take turns gnawing a wide ring, so that everyone could feed once its done. Of course, once they've all had their sugar fix, it's back to hard competition.

The mouth was capable of crunching through thin carapaces, though most of the other creatures "we" could eat were far too fast to be caught, unless already wounded or ill...which were easily dispatched, as well as eating carcasses, when they came along. Unfortunately, eating carcasses often came with diseases, though diseases were rare. More common were funguses that would travel from rotting detritus on the carapace of our creature, and then infect the nest eggs and feed from there, killing off creatures before they could be born.

A - Develop parental instincts to clean and care for eggs, to prevent fungus infections.

B - Further develop locomotion to split the "tail" into two psuedo legs.

C - Develop a form of social/communal dependence

D - Develop a more efficient respiratory system ala spiracles

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 17, 2006, 02:58:58 am »
You need to reset the poll. I vote A. If were going to be detrivores we ned to be disease resistant ;)
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Stangmar

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 17, 2006, 02:04:29 pm »
Sorry about that. I updated fairly late last night and I had remembered that I didn't reset the poll...on the way to school, oddly enough. And guess what happens when I walk in the door after school? Power outage. Bah.

Offline Caltrop

• Defender Devotee
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 17, 2006, 02:58:33 pm »
A. Such parental care will help the species as a whole.
Spore RPG: http://www.gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=2069.0

STRAWBERRYCLOCK IS KING OF THE PORTAL

Offline Stangmar

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 19, 2006, 11:06:52 am »
BLAH. Sorry, I spent Saturday sleeping with my pseudo-strep throat thingy. Not fun.

---------

Aaanyways, some form of instinctive nesting habit takes place as our creatures, strictly between the mother and the father to take care of the young, naturally cleaning them to keep fungus spores off of them and to keep them from harms way in defined nests in the water, where young can develop freely in the water. Naturally, parents abandon the young after hatching, but diligence is the rule until that time.

Normal scavengers and creatures that used to eat young eggs now have to find a new food source, as protective parents with strong jaws are awaiting anything that tend to want to take the young eggs away. Natural population increases, though it really only stirs up even more bitter competition, to the point where infighting hinders the potential population size, but then again, only the truly strong individuals survive, which is good and bad, perhaps.

Another series of growth spurts in general size occur simply because it's beneficial for the species. Increase of size meant that chomping down on more creatures is easier, especially in the communal chomping on plants, which allows more sap to be harvested and less energy to be wasted overall. Total size is now roughly around the size of one's fingernail on the pinky finger, making it the largest of the -known- creatures of its biome, which consists only of fellow arthropods.

A - Develop more intrinsic social connections outside of communal eating and nesting habits.

B - Get rid of the fins and stay on land.

C - Continue parenting -past- the hatching phase of life.

D - Promote competition for mates as well as eating the eggs of "inferior" members of the species to promote further evolutionary growth and genetic strength.

Offline Mangerman

• Tempest Top Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 19, 2006, 12:09:40 pm »
D - Promote competition for mates as well as eating the eggs of "inferior" members of the species to promote further evolutionary growth and genetic strength.
A multitude of rulers is not a good thing. Let there be one ruler, one king.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 19, 2006, 01:04:37 pm »
Yeah C. Make them scummy but caring.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Stangmar

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 20, 2006, 07:41:53 pm »
Yeah, I somehow figured that if I put in what would happen if competition got fiercer, everyone would vote for that. Teehee.

------------------------

Physical competition increased, with a new instinctive ritual being developed. Before the communal sap eating, there would be, of course, a kind of communal fight for each gender near the base of the prospective plant. With the total critter count being anywhere between 8 to up to around a hundred. Competition would lead to a strict order on who would get fed when during the sap sucking, and who got what mate.

The emphasis on competitive physical strength and sheer size led to a massive evolutionary leap in size. Going from roughly the size of one's pinky fingernail to the size of one's fist, they had bloated up in a few million years, pushing the limits of their outer carapace in terms of structural support, as exceptionally large specimens would often have trouble moving and have very little space for internal organs to develop, with the rest of the body being taken up for the carapace itself.

Predation came at a stand-still as...well...they just couldn't keep up with normal prey, anymore, and their forward claws were now capable of snipping off stems and leaves to chomp on every now and again anyway, though the anterior fins truly kept the creature out of the sparse canopy..Not like there was much up there, for now. Rapid expansion of geographic territory came with a larger, hardier body, rather than just going up into the sky....Who could know what faced the creatures outside of their normal, marsh biome?

A - Further develop frontal claws for increased strength in order to defend against predators and attack lesser creatures.

B - Start moving in herds, using the previous social knowledge of the pecking order to establish a firm chain of command.

C - Develop frontal claws more for burrowing, taking advantage of buried detritus for feeding.

D - THE MYSTERY CHOICE...OOOOOOOOO!

Offline Vivec

• Gauntlet Wizard
  • The truth has vanished into darkness...
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 20, 2006, 07:48:11 pm »
C! It aids their poopy ways.
Vivec, you're the best forum member ever.

Offline Stangmar

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 22, 2006, 06:12:49 pm »
dasfj;kldfjask;ldskljasdkjlldkfjs

---------------------------

Well, burrowing becomes the norm for nesting and...day-to-day living, as well. No instinct created it, but creatures began living in semi-colonies, where protection was available, with easy gathering for mating, and easy gathering for eating...In reality, living closer just made living -easier-....With the exception of finding food, but more food was found in burrowing, so it roughly evened out.

Of course, there was trouble on the horizon, as moving out of the brackish marsh and into the freshwater swamps brought...well...large, amphibian predators. Hella big ones. With big mouths. Yup. They chewed through out creatures with reckless abandon, but only in swamps and lakes and such, as they didn't particularly care for brackish or salty water, too much. This, of course, seemed to pose more of a threat for the larger creatures that couldn't really lumber off to get away from the faster, larger amphibians, but the smaller ones could sometimes manage to wriggle off to their burrow. Something needed to be done.

A - Develop some form of inner toxin that made eating it deadly.

B - Get the hell out of the water and take off into the land. These amphibious predators needed still bodies of water to spawn.

C - Develop a better, harder, and lighter carapace. Watch them crunch through -that-!

D - Make those burrowing claws into burrowing -pincers- Ouch.