4 (44.4%)
B
3 (33.3%)
C
0 (0%)
D
2 (22.2%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Author Topic: Yup. Another SPORPG.  (Read 14953 times)

Offline Stangmar

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
Yup. Another SPORPG.
« on: February 06, 2006, 08:17:39 pm »
Alright, so as you all probably have guessed, this is another SpoRPG thread, though, gratefully, I am a pretty resourceful person, and dedicated to writing. Additionally, for those who will undoubtedly whine about creating (yet) another thread on this game, I'd like to remind you that even if I recycled another creature (Say, the Inceptus?) then I'd -still- have to create another thread to control the poll.

Regardless, here's the basic layout of the whole thing. I'm going to put down a rather length wall of text that you all have to read and then summarily beat me over the head with, and then, after receiving at least 5 votes (Without there being a tie, of course,) and after 4-6 hours, I typically will update, provided that it's not -too- late into the night, so expect updates to be both fast -and- furious, and my thirst for general sci-fi will definately keep things fresh and light.

SO IT BEGINS!

-------------------------------

Our story begins in a rather unconventional solar system. It was a single red dwarf star, and what would ordinarily be a belt of asteroids, except, due to the system being small and easily affected by the whims of the rest of its insignificant galaxy, the asteroids had fused into something resembling a single, massive disc, with its own inner, pocketed ferous, super-heated core, which is often quite turbulent, the mantle and magma often spewing onto the surface, solidifying the ring into a more solid object over the billions of years of geological evolution. It had its own atmosphere, an incredibly thick, wet, and heavy atmosphere that consisted of water, methane, ammonia, and hydrogen, most of it left behind from colliding comets and other phenomena over the eons that passed. The ring, being a whole Earth Continent across, and of course, somehow maintaining its precarious movement around the sun.

This would have been all well and dandy had the massive (in terms of astronomy,) disc not been repeatedly struck by other asteroids, splitting it into oddly shaped planetoids that would orbit the dwarf, each one containing the neccesary ingredients for carbon-based life, but alas, our story deals with the largest of the clumps that eventually fell into a stable orbit around its sun that eventually settled at roughly 116 million kilometers away from the sun, sustaining an atmospheric temperature of roughly 90 degrees during most of the year, and once the solar system had eventually fallen into some semblance of order...a spark of life came on that barren rock in the form of sustaining amino acids...Eventually, small photosynthetic bacteriums lived in pools of water on the rocky surface, and in the small lakes and seas (no oceans here,) on the planet. Other micro-organisms, heterotrophs and simple phage-viruses also took shape.

Fate, as it would seem, should be laid on the cilia of our heroic paramecium, the first eukaryotic micro-organism around that was, of course, immediately sucking at life. Unfortunately, more "primitive" prokaryotes were out-competing our larger, cumbersome eukaryote by means of flagellan propulsion, instead of cilia propulsion, and were managing to gobble up autotrophic bacteriums before our large protozoa even had a chance. So, of course, we come at an evolutionary cross-roads:

A - Diversify diet by developing methods to eat autotrophic bacteria with membranes that the protozoans can't pierce.
B - Ditch the cilia and get -multiple- flagella. Outrace the competition.
C - Evolve super-vacuoles to suck in the competing protozoans, and bring them to us, rather than chase -them- down.
D - Develop a slower metabolism to require less food, and thus, require less competition with the protozoans, and use what food is left behind.

-------

Alright, so that should be an interesting installment, for now. I put this up late so that it could stew on the forums all day while I'm away at school, and immediately after school, so I can put in a second update (hopefully) before the night is through, tomorrow. Much love, guys.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
Re: Yup. Another SPORPG.
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2006, 08:05:41 am »
At this point you cant tell how a decision will affect the long term stuff of your creature so i chose C... for the hell of it.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Stangmar

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2006, 11:49:41 am »
At this point you cant tell how a decision will affect the long term stuff of your creature so i chose C... for the hell of it.

Exactly. Just look at the species that most likely was the first of the Chordata...Pikaia ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pikaia ) is supposedly our evolutionary ancestor, and how much of it, in general terms, of course, do you think lasted out to this day?

Offline Detoxicated

• Pack M.U.L.E.
  • Spirit of Monkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2006, 12:16:01 pm »
C cuz its funny
OK, both of you die and let us know what happens.

Offline Stangmar

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2006, 01:05:22 pm »
Dang. -9- votes? Didn't think I'd get that much of a response the first time around. Anyways, here's the first update for Tuesday, hopefully I can bang another one out (Though who knows? Maybe I can get a third in if the votes move fast enough.)

----------------

With the advent of developing a form of phagocytosis, our eukaryotic cell begins a major competitor, and the dominant microbe, easily devouring other competing prokaryotic microbes, and allowing our creature to eat just about everything short of massive blue-green algae that have become quite large in population as of late. Of course, a rapid increase in population of our own protozoans forces them to cannibalize for a lack of easily accessible food, as prokaryotes who haven't moved to other areas have simply been eaten up. Rather than simply splitting apart, our cells mutate and develop a form of sexual reproduction, though the arise of that trait is only in a small population, and as that population splits, it easily develops into a number of seperate species, genetically, anyways.

The ecosystem, as it stands, becoming a variety of bacteriums and mostly eukaryotic cells descendent of our original species, an uncountable number of million years ago, is now actually uniquely tuned and balanced to the warm climate of our planet. The most successful of the current generation are those who actually maintain the status quo between competitive eukaryotes, autotrophic and heterotrophic alike. Of course, a serious mutation is about to occur, and destabilize the ecosystem once more...What will lead to the new upheaval?

A - Our cells develop symbiosis with more specialized protozoans as to fuse and mutate into organisms with differentiated cells.
B - Develop more complex and efficient organelles (Ala Mitochondria, lysosomes, etc.)
C - Develop a more effective auto-immune system against predatory viruses.
D - Widen eating pallette for secondary debris (Bacterial and Protozoan waste, viruses, etc,) a form of scavenging.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2006, 01:46:46 pm »
I'm going to say D. I like the idea of a sentient starfaring species which decended from crap-eating scavengers.... assuming the trends continue of course.

Offline Detoxicated

• Pack M.U.L.E.
  • Spirit of Monkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2006, 04:16:26 pm »
I must say D
OK, both of you die and let us know what happens.

Offline Caltrop

• Defender Devotee
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2006, 05:19:33 pm »
B. Of all the options, this will have the most long-lasting effect. Better mitochondria, longer sprint times, etc.
Spore RPG: http://www.gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=2069.0

STRAWBERRYCLOCK IS KING OF THE PORTAL

Offline Stangmar

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2006, 06:44:00 pm »
This will -probably- be the last update for the night, but if the voting moves quickly enough, I'll probably put up another. Frankly, I'd like to move out of the cellular level as quickly as humanly possible, because...well...it's probably boring as hell for all of you.

---------------

Our microbes eventually give up their throne as the heads of the land of the very small, but, in reality, they flourish as bottom-feeders, and find more nutrition and more plentiful food in the "crumbs" from meals, the wastes from algaes, as well as those dinky little prokaryotes that the dominant species now could probably laugh at, as most of the other species have seriously outpaced them in terms of size. Eons pass and our species gets a little bypassed in terms of evolutionary progress as we become...the janitor, and are quite good at it. Other species begin developing multiple cells, for more efficient energy management, yet ours is left behind in the dust...not because it's bad at its job, but because it's so -good- at it. Evolution does happen, in the form of becoming a much larger organism, and it forms into a more or less cylindrical shape to be able to hold such volume and still manage its internal resources effectively. Eventually, the membrane around our creature begins to harden, protecting itself from the casual predator, and the viruses that it fed upon, becoming a cumbersome, armored protozoan, ready to take down other microbes...

However, that would be all well and dandy until another, much smaller eukaryotic protozoan developed a form of digestive fluid that it squirted onto prey to dissolve their membranes and kill opposing cells, before slowly eating the dead carcass. Predation, however, was more a boon than a problem, as it spurred evolution in the direction towards advancement, not stagnation, and since such predators are rare, they tend to only knock off the very weak and the malformed cells.

Evolution!

A - Develop organelles capable of generating bases to combat the acids used by the predator.

B - Develop multiple cells to reshape and be more efficient, avoiding the long, tube-like, non-amorphous form that our species currently has.

C - Develop a primitive form of Olfactory sense, to sniff out better and larger quantities of food.

D - Develop the ability to fuse with other of the same species, to better share resources collectively.

Offline Flamester_

• Gyruss Gyrusian
  • Bread Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2006, 07:14:53 pm »
Well B seems to be the best choice also can you make it so that when they get biger they are used as organic vacums by a race that evolved faster.
Quote from: Mr. Wizard
Flamester is truly a god among us.

Offline Vivec

• Gauntlet Wizard
  • The truth has vanished into darkness...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2006, 07:24:14 pm »
Why are you people voting for D? This isn't the Cryoeltons!
Vivec, you're the best forum member ever.

Offline Flamester_

• Gyruss Gyrusian
  • Bread Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2006, 07:41:33 pm »
Ya what he said.

Offline Stangmar

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2006, 08:37:40 pm »
Fourth Update! Someone finally broke that freaking tie. Okay, moving on. We should be moving out of cellular mode sooner rather than later, because, unfortunately, there isn't much to describe outside of the primordial goo.

--------------

Our organism begins to take shape as it slowly develops into a multicellular organism, moving away from the elongated zeppelin shape to now a rocky, crusty orb, with large holes in its body, which it uses to suck in prey and nutrients, and then spit out as a form of movement. Granted, it also has a bunch of cilia, but it's slowly becoming vestigial, as it clearly begins to lack function. The size of our new organism is roughly around the size of a grain of sand, now -quite- large for the microbial world, but it rarely actually needs to be near the size of its food as it all sucked it in like a whale sucks in crill.

Our new critter, unfortunately, is falling prey to the acid-spewing eukaryotes that use the acid to break through the rough crust of

our creature, and then eat them from the inside out, but our heroes could never tell because they lack any real form of sensory perception. Even the best food, the algae, is hard to find without perception, but there are a number of other things to be concerned about.

Namely, the water that everyone's been swimming in has jumped a number of degrees in terms of regular temperature, causing a higher metabolism and need for food...but overall greater activity, and increasing the evolutionary pace of other organisms, though unfortunately, ours is having a rough time finding its food.

A - Develop a patch to sense light. The brighter the light, the more likely that algae will be there to feed on.

B - Develop a touch-sensitive nervous system. Our organisms can actually fight back against predators once they can "feel" them out.

C - Develop toxins that disperse once the crust has been breached, thus killing off potential predators.

D - Develop a better control method for homeostasis, thus getting the best performance, despite varying hot and cold temperatures.

-------------

I accidentally clicked pressed Tab thinking that it would actually indent the paragraph, and I posted what I had...If that happens, don't worry, it just means I'm working on the post, and haven't finished it yet.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2006, 08:46:44 pm by Stangmar »

Offline Flamester_

• Gyruss Gyrusian
  • Bread Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2006, 08:39:15 pm »
where are the chocies? ???

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2006, 12:11:23 pm »
A- we really need these guys to have senses or theyll never advance at all.