Author Topic: Not just another GW vs. WoW thread:  (Read 1891 times)

Offline eXistenZ

• Brain Games Mastermind
    • View Profile
    • Oddfellow Magazine
Not just another GW vs. WoW thread:
« on: February 06, 2006, 09:30:07 am »
Hey Earf People,

Ok, so needless to say I started playing WoW, got really into it, reached level 40, and decided I'd had enough. The monthly payments got on my nerve-sack, and it was the deciding factor for cancelling my account.

So, after about 4 months, I began to itch for the MMO genre again. I had been hearing about GW for a long time and always wanted to give it a try, although when I was into WoW there was no need to, and to be honest, I was a bit of a WoW snob. Well after hearing a recent Glicker-cast about GW, I decided it was time for me to give it a day in court.

After loading it up, giving it a nice 9 lvl trial run, I have to say I really like the game. BUT ALAS! I have several major issues:

*Where the heck is the ability to enchant weapons and armor? I understand that you can "upgrade" items in GW, but nothing compared to WoW. And you can customize a weapon for yourself making it more deadly in your hands...but this seems like a corner-cutter to me. I know this was all purposeful and that they didn't want people hording around a ton of inventory...but the "upgrade" enchant feature could have been made a little more interesting.

*The statistics on players and weapons. Can someone tell me why they couldn't add a LITTLE more depth to the actual statics on a player or item...you know like DPS or what your strength and armor and dexterity do to your AC...little things.

*Another thing which I thought was great was the ability to examine other players (their weapons and armor, etc). This is an easy addition to the game. I want to be able to look at what another player is wearing or using. I really miss this.

*The amount of actual armor and weapons is so much smaller than WoW. There are pretty much no unique items at all. The weapons and armor people are wearing are all similar. Where is the individuality? Weak.

Ok, well there are a few rants I have about GW. It is a beautiful game don't get me wrong...but there are certainly some patches that need to be put out to add a few simple (and not so simple) additions. Perhaps I'm just spoiled to death of WoW...which let's face it is a much better game...it just ain't free.

Offline Lord Janos

• Wizardry Whiz
    • View Profile
Re: Not just another GW vs. WoW thread:
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2006, 09:57:27 am »
Have to agree with you there - Guild Wars cannot hold my interest for long.  WoW on the other hand i could see myself playing for ages if i had the time and inclination to pay the monthly fee and go back to an MMO again.

Offline Chadatog

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2006, 12:52:04 pm »
Actually this sounds like just about every single GW vs WOW thread where someone who enjoys WOW want's GW to be the exact same experience as WOW without the monthly fee.

Most of the problems you have with the game make a better balanced PvP game later on, as well as giving your average joe player the same chance at getting the best weapon/armor.  Oh and try getting through the game a little further and you will find more armor skins, more diverse weapons (like Green lettering weapons), and more challenging areas. 

Bet you can't make it through all the titan quests, heck I bet you don't even make it past thunder head keep since you can't lvl past the difficulty.

I've been playing since release, having fun playing pve and pvp.  And I still havn't done everything and been everywhere.  There is much fun to be had for those not afraid of somthing done a bit differently.

Offline Snapple

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2006, 12:30:29 pm »
yeah, guild wars is great in the fact that ppl that dont have ridiculous amounts of time to play an mmo can still at least complete on a level playing field with others, though i also like the look of eve online if i had 8 hours a day free :S

all i can say is gw is one of the few mmo's thats done something new worth speaking of
Dentists should not have to learn about lactation

Offline syphonbyte

• Moon Patroller
  • You know what the payment is...
    • View Profile
    • The Village of Fools
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2006, 07:58:41 pm »
I would have played GW longer if it had decent enviroments post-searing. None of the locales compared to the pre-searing area... so pretty...

Offline Sudoh Kyoichi

• Fire Truck Driver
  • Super Mario 64
    • View Profile
    • Sudoh Kyoichi
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2006, 08:42:19 pm »
I agree with that.  The post-searing areas look like crap.

I took a E/Me to level 10 and then got pretty bored with it.  Recently I started a W/Mo and got him up to level 4 so far.  Mainly because I like to solo in these games, yeah I'm just weird like that.  Which, also explains my choice of a Paladin for my main character in World of Warcraft.

Offline DrJiggs

• Atari Combat Vet
  • "Domokun will rule the world"
    • View Profile
    • My Own Room
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2006, 07:41:44 pm »
All of you that are complaining about Guild Wars for various reasons...  have any of you gotten your characters above lvl 10?  If not, then you can't talk about the game, dudes!  Keep going, keep exploring, and you will be amazed at the change from playing pre-sear to the "end" of the game.  Seriously.
"Advertisements contain the only truths to be relied on in a newspaper." - Mark Twain