Author Topic: Swarm mentality  (Read 6621 times)

Offline mrodgers

• Choplifter Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Swarm mentality
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2006, 09:34:50 am »
Locusts are crazy. They actually have a trigger that causes them to swarm. Not sure if other swarming species have their own triggers, but in locusts it has something to do with repeated contact to their hind legs.

I think all insects have a trigger, usually chemical.  Like killer bees, they won't tend to swarm unless one are killed and the chemical is released.  All bees use the trigger but killer bees are much more sensitive to it.
Check out my (Thurlin's) creatures, building, and vehicles.  You won't be disappointed.

http://www.spore.com/flash/csa_widget.swf?userid=2263477425&username=Thurlin&host=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.spore.com%2Fview%2Fuser-thumbnail

Offline Charles Darwin

• Microvision Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2006, 10:14:25 am »
Locusts are crazy. They actually have a trigger that causes them to swarm. Not sure if other swarming species have their own triggers, but in locusts it has something to do with repeated contact to their hind legs.

I think all insects have a trigger, usually chemical. Like killer bees, they won't tend to swarm unless one are killed and the chemical is released. All bees use the trigger but killer bees are much more sensitive to it.

What seems cool about the chemical side of this stuff is that there could be quite an extensive language in there and we have no idea what they are jabber jawin about.

Offline Leng

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
  • !?!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2006, 12:50:16 pm »
yeah, but the trouble is it can't be used for a symbolic language the way that hearing or vision can.  the chemicals tend to stay in the air for a while and you can't tell which of your swarmmates launched them.  basically they can just be used to transmit predefined messages, although there could be a variety of these.
I have been told
not by one but two of my lovers
that I've got a heart of gold
but I'm unable to share it with others
They call me a poet who'll never have a poem
a tiger with no taste for bone
I'm the wonderful wonderful wizard who's waltzing alone

Offline Vivec

• Gauntlet Wizard
  • The truth has vanished into darkness...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2006, 10:10:16 pm »
yeah, but the trouble is it can't be used for a symbolic language the way that hearing or vision can. the chemicals tend to stay in the air for a while and you can't tell which of your swarmmates launched them. basically they can just be used to transmit predefined messages, although there could be a variety of these.

Like an anonymous forum, but with less cybering?
Vivec, you're the best forum member ever.

Offline Leng

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
  • !?!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2006, 11:43:23 pm »
no, i mean the repertoir of scent-based communication would be something like this:

:) ;) :D ;D >:( :( :o 8) ??? ::) :P :-[ :-X :-\ :-* :'(
I have been told
not by one but two of my lovers
that I've got a heart of gold
but I'm unable to share it with others
They call me a poet who'll never have a poem
a tiger with no taste for bone
I'm the wonderful wonderful wizard who's waltzing alone