Author Topic: What do you do while listening?  (Read 37093 times)

Offline eXistenZ

• Brain Games Mastermind
    • View Profile
    • Oddfellow Magazine
Re: What do you do while listening?
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2006, 11:04:47 am »
I understand your viewpoint, and in some cases it would apply to me. However, we differ in what we think is important in a game. I personally like to hear the grunt of Charr, or the clang of swords over a hill not visible to me, or even my own subtle footsteps on grass, dirt, wood, or metal.

I know, I may be wierd and in the minority--but I like ALL my ambient sounds. MP in a no-brainer, you HAVE to hear every little noise. But the crazy thing is, there are people that run around playing CS and BF2 with music on, or even worse, NO SOUND! People are bad enough FPS players, they certainly don't need to drop another 45% efficiency because they are deaf.

I suppose the first step to getting good in a MP game is to have a competetive streak in you. So that when you get owned from behind for the 10th time because you didn't hear homeslice enemy dude open the door behind you, you will get tired of this, stop playing music, and try and become a better, more efficient soldier.

But hey, I'm a FPS fanatic...play how you will, enjoy yourself, but be warned, I am the guy who knifes you from behind because you crank the volume on the chorus to "Hit Me Baby One More Time!"

« Last Edit: February 07, 2006, 11:07:17 am by eXistenZ »

Offline RealmRPGer

• Akalabeth Addict
  • Tanket
    • View Profile
    • Realm Protectors
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2006, 06:20:58 pm »
I tried doing other things while listening, but I found that if I do anything other than listen to Steve, I missed what he was saying. So now I tend to devote time specifically to Steve. Since the only freetime I ever have is late at night, every single Steve podcast in recent history (about half a year) has put me sleep. This I find to be a good thing, as I have trouble sleeping otherwise. From that point of view, I'd like a podcast every day, but it generally takes 90+ minutes for a podcast to get to me to sleep.

Offline Cobra

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2006, 11:26:00 pm »
Mostly play Mario Kart or Animal Crossing I dont find I need to listen to Mario Kart to properly play it. Sound really isn't essential for most upkeep of town. If you do things like fishing sound helps even then it doesn't need to be to loud and you can concentrate on both But just genral up keep of town such as finding fossils weeding talking to neighbours isn't sound required although things like reading the text sometimes is hard to do while concentrating on steve's podcast its only small amonts of text.

Offline Kishmond

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • Alfalfa Mainframe
    • View Profile
    • I'll Eat Your Brains
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2006, 09:38:25 pm »
I just sit there looking dumb and eating snacks.
Not special.
Yeah, [Kishmond] came back from Africa, but the ponies have him now.

Offline XLNS

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2006, 12:46:56 pm »
Lately it's been Need for speed while listening, also cooking and washing dishes cause I'm single :(

Offline Fink

• Elevator Action Operator
  • I have more stars than you
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2006, 05:03:57 am »
Lol, I thought the listen while playing MMO was my idea.

Meh, anyway, I play CoH/CoV, and it's great. Some times its not as fun with out it

Offline CaiphasPotato

• Fire Truck Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2006, 10:00:50 am »
I usually just listen to the podcasts while taking the bus to and from school. Or sometimes when I'm doing homework.

Offline Stryke

• Fire Truck Driver
  • That guy from Britain...
    • View Profile
    • Community HQ
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2006, 11:58:15 am »
I usually do some general site surfing or play a basic flash game or something like solitare.

Offline DevilMachine

• Q*Bert Qrazy
  • Defender of the Universe
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2006, 11:37:09 am »
I listen to it in my car while driving to and from work, and also at work, while fixing laptops.

And if a podcast gets released in the weekend, or I just dont get around to it untill the weekend. I'll listen while playing Civ4 or someother strategy/rts game, might even get baked at the same time which is always fun

Offline Raistlin

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2006, 04:35:38 am »
That's definetely a great deal.  I find it extremely difficult to do ANYthing while listening to a podcast like gamingsteve's, as I can't pay attention to both things at the same time. 

I've tried different things (don't like sitting 2 hours in silence staring at my computer screen, fees like wasting my time), I eventually tried playing chess, ... , for a few seconds.   Really I can do nothing but listen.

Offline Jonosh

• Breakout Battler
  • Soon-to-be Spore Addict
    • View Profile
SV: What do you do while listening?
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2006, 09:19:14 am »
I have a part-time job delivering papers, so I listen to Gaming Steve while walking. That sure makes the 3-4 hours of constant walking much shorter.
I don't recall teleporting, but still, there I was, alone, naked...
-Morrowind

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
  • Life is worth much more than gold
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2006, 09:36:20 am »
Depends, but mostly I read or play games on my other PC.

Quote from: /lurk
PALM: Oh face, come closer. I've needed your touch since I heard that fundamentalist Christians were being stupid again.
FACE: Not again! Quickly Palm, come to me!

Offline S3-Solid_Snake

• Breakout Battler
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Steve Rocks
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2006, 09:28:57 am »
Well ever since i got my laptop I just sit on my bed, and surf the web, and just listen to him, and if nothing to surf i just grab a bite to eat and a drink and just close my eyes and dream on oblivion when hes talking about it lol

Offline TheShark

• Kaboom Boomer!
  • It was either that or a rattle-snake bite...
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2006, 09:29:26 am »
Work.

Wow, this makes me realize how long it's been since I was an active user here.

Offline Fink

• Elevator Action Operator
  • I have more stars than you
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2006, 04:32:23 pm »
Ok, don't play it on your 360 while playing a game. It will stop at a cut scene (good thing), but then it starts over after it (bad thing)