Author Topic: Scared about colours  (Read 13235 times)

Wulf

Scared about colours
« on: April 04, 2005, 06:31:01 am »
I've been reading every little fact I can find about this game and there is one this that is becoming increasingly foreboding. The colouring engine. (or coloring if you are mad) It seems that this part of Spore will be very pre-defined and unflexable in the game. As far as I can tell, something that should be high on the list for customability is being left to defult sets automatically applied to your Spores. I mean, sure it looks nice, but can you actually paint or at least define certain areas on your Spore? I hope the two who actually saw the demonstration can actually put my fears to rest. Please?

Offline krjal

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
Re: Scared about colours
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2005, 06:35:38 am »
As far as the rest of us have been able to figure out colouring is actually very flexible and uses mostly human input but (DUM Dum dum!)...the demonstration didn't actually show the process so there isn't that much info on it.

Hopefully someone much more knowlegeable than I will be able to answer your question soon :)
+++"Sometimes, when I look into the abyss, the abyss looks back" - [tmo]+++

Offline Therlun

• Fire Truck Driver
  • Hope and Hate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2005, 06:37:29 am »
im a bit scared about that green touch all the scrennshots have because they are photographed...

in my mind spore will perhaps forever be that greenish. ;D
Change is being.

Wulf

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2005, 06:39:19 am »
I am mostly drawing from conclusions I made when looking at the highest res picture taken of the slideshow screen. On it it has some of the vehicles and if you look at the way the texture is applied they are actually the same texture with the same details, scaled to fit on the different shaped vehicle (which was actually just a different size box)
I really hope there arn't such limitations in that game as what I have started to notice.

Offline krjal

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2005, 06:44:50 am »
If you're talking about the Spore vehicles picture it actually shows several different textures displayed on the same vehicle. The most notable example is the boat which has, in addition to the shiny yellow plastic and bobbly red metal type stuff, a wooden hull!

All these textures and colours could not have been automatically applied so I'm following the reasoning that if you can do it for the car you can do it for the thing that drives it.

Offline lemurbouy

• Defender Devotee
  • oh my...
    • View Profile
    • Leeman's Livejournal!
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2005, 11:20:05 am »
I agree as well.  Although, my guess is that if we don't have control of colours, they will be more earthtone and natural and muted and won't be too bad as if they were all really stark Primes.  I'm a Blue and Yellow lizard, fear me!  I would be surprised if colouring were not at our disposal, however. -leeman

Offline Quantum

• Space Invaders Junkie
  • "I'm just a bean trying to get some sleep..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2005, 12:29:26 pm »
It does make sense that there will be SOME sort of color control.  Will it be expansive with thousands of possible colors?  I doubt it.  Something tells me it might be more of 16-64 present colors.  I hope it will be more and shading options and such, but with the overall simplicity we're seeing, I'm not betting on it.

Just my $.02

P.S. -- Yes, I spell it "color" because I speak in the American English dialect.
--Quantum

Offline SHW

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2005, 03:03:04 pm »
The colour of the creatures should/could be definable like the furniture in TS2.....

Offline krjal

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2005, 08:01:12 pm »
I don't see any reason why the colouring shouldn't be the whole 32bit palette.

Even the simple action strategy game Dawn of War has army customisation on that scale (though the models stay the same).

You would merely select the texture region(s) and then the colour for it.

Wulf

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2005, 10:05:38 pm »
P.S. -- Yes, I spell it "color" because I speak in the American English dialect.
You mean the 'American CRAZY Dialect'

What I am saying is not about the amount of colours and textures. There could be thousands to choose from. What I am saying is that I doubt you can specifically paint areas, patters or markings on your creature. Think about the tools, file-sizes and look at the pictures. Notice a general trend in the position of details on the objects?

Offline RealmRPGer

• Akalabeth Addict
  • Tanket
    • View Profile
    • Realm Protectors
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2005, 10:38:30 pm »
Also note this games IS NOT complete. Neither a release date or a complete percentage was given. Therefore any presumable "limitations based on the screenshots" could be completely thrown out the door if it turns out that the pallete and textures are not complete, which I'm sure they aren't.

Wulf

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2005, 11:10:21 pm »
You only looked at one thing I said? File size; How do you have complexly mapped unique textures and colours onto...Wait...I guess...Hmmmmmmm...I suppose it is possible. But I was only talking of a fear of the colour engine, not a complant of how it is.

Offline RealmRPGer

• Akalabeth Addict
  • Tanket
    • View Profile
    • Realm Protectors
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2005, 01:33:50 am »
Well, the game works on algorythms. Therefore, I suppose you could get a pretty small file size out of mathematically customizable dots, stripes, etc. If that's the case, yes, you WOULDN'T be able to create ANY pattern you wanted, but there'd be a large amount of options at your fingertips.

Wulf

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2005, 11:38:51 pm »
Well I was thinking the solution would be more a vector style thing like you see in flash and illustrator and that...

Offline kolpo

• Lunar Lander Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2005, 03:08:16 am »
I think that you can give each individual part it's own color/texture but that you can't give 1 part 2 textures. Thought You can then always split it in 2 parts to fix that problem.

Offline Scipion

• Stargate Superstar
  • Returned from the grave, now with more immunities!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2005, 07:43:53 pm »
Maybe you can choose the colors for specific parts.
Wheels - green
Armor panels - yellow
Missle - red

Just way more indepth.
-Just like Gaming Steve all of my ideas, suggestions, and comments are merely edjucated guesses. These are based on prior experience and current released info.-

Offline craigp

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
    • Perkwiki
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2005, 08:42:23 am »
There doesn't seem to be any coloration selection for 'specific parts' - it looked like he was going through whole-body textures.

-Craig

Wulf

« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2005, 08:54:01 am »
AHA! I knew it!

Offline syphonbyte

• Moon Patroller
  • You know what the payment is...
    • View Profile
    • The Village of Fools
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2005, 10:17:19 am »
That might have just been something for a demonstration, though. Since everything is probably procedurally generated, I wouldn't be suprised to find out about some sort of texture editor that starts with basic types (say, the wood from the boat) and lets you mess with it more and get it the way you like. Judging from what Wright's ninja programmers have done so far, I wouldn't think that would be out of reach at all.

Offline craigp

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
    • Perkwiki
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2005, 10:38:05 am »
That might have just been something for a demonstration, though. Since everything is probably procedurally generated, I wouldn't be suprised to find out about some sort of texture editor that starts with basic types (say, the wood from the boat) and lets you mess with it more and get it the way you like. Judging from what Wright's ninja programmers have done so far, I wouldn't think that would be out of reach at all.

Well, it would be easy to do, but the fact of the matter is that they are going for EASE OF USE. Meaning anything complicated is done AUTOMATICALLY. Assigning surface types seems pretty complicated.

-Craig

Wulf

« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2005, 07:02:35 pm »
'KISS'- Anyone outside of Australia know what that stands for?

Offline Siever

• Fire Truck Driver
  • The Mandude
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2005, 07:24:57 pm »
keep it simple stupid?
"THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS"
        -Tom Morello's guitar
http://www.costofwar.com/

Offline Zealousy

• Wizard of Wor
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2005, 12:47:42 am »
Knights in Satan's Service? Har har har... :D
I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather ... Not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car.
- Will Shriner

Offline RealmRPGer

• Akalabeth Addict
  • Tanket
    • View Profile
    • Realm Protectors
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2005, 01:45:03 am »
Yet Will Wright demonstrated that he has a VERY complex game wrapped in a superb ease-of-use shell.

Offline HolsteinCow

• Vanguard Venturer
  • NOT A TROLL
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2005, 02:28:56 pm »
You mean the 'American CRAZY Dialect'

The American English Dialect is better because we have more nukes and guns than you.

Offline Siever

• Fire Truck Driver
  • The Mandude
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2005, 07:42:26 pm »
weaponary shouldn't make anyone more superior than the other.
        -Tom Morello's guitar

Offline syphonbyte

• Moon Patroller
    • View Profile
    • The Village of Fools
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2005, 10:48:02 am »
But it does.

Offline Siever

• Fire Truck Driver
  • The Mandude
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2005, 11:14:23 am »
it shouldn't.  We should all just be able to be content in the fact that there is little that differentiates us from one another (organically).  Weaponary does make one "civilization" more superior than the other, but I really wish people wouldn't think that way.
        -Tom Morello's guitar

Offline syphonbyte

• Moon Patroller
    • View Profile
    • The Village of Fools
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2005, 07:11:41 pm »
Yes, but people do think that way, mostly because the people with the most advanced weapons can kill everybody else. It's evolution. If there's another critter running around who has 10 mouths with 100 razor teeth in each one, you don't want to get on his bad side.

(Are we talking about Spore anymore?)

Offline Cobra

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2005, 09:44:38 pm »
Simply on the basis that you can create a creature with 10 mouths with 100 teeth in each mouth and then evolve it and make it a super power when u reach modern civilization that has weapons that blow everyone else way who disagrees with u in this game yes we are talking about spore.

Offline Siever

• Fire Truck Driver
  • The Mandude
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2005, 07:20:32 am »
Oh yeah, Spore.  Sorry for going on in my anti-war hippy rant  ;D Looking at the pictures, I would just guess that when you create a body part/ vehicle part, you just select a color for it.  But that doesn't quite explain the designs on them, so...
        -Tom Morello's guitar

Offline Calqhoon

• Qix Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2005, 02:04:05 pm »
Somehow i don't think Bush has 100 teeth in his mouth...

So, Spore, anyone?

It would be great if colouring/camouflage played a part in evolution, possibly even bioluminescent (glowy!) creatures, or err, colourchangey creatures like chameleons. I suppose knowing EA, the ability to create creatures with special abilities such as those would come as part of an add-on pack, Sims stylee.

Wulf

« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2005, 10:34:59 pm »
Ahem...Did you read the thread? It basically says that you won't have that sorta stuff.

Offline Calqhoon

• Qix Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2005, 04:56:52 am »
Ahem...Did you read the thread?

No.