Author Topic: Wheel of Time series: What do you think?  (Read 8591 times)

Offline Fade2gray

• Scramble Skipper
  • ...or just go bald
    • View Profile
Re: Wheel of Time series: What do you think?
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2006, 02:47:35 pm »
I'm nearly finished with book 10. To be honest, the series has lost some of its charm for me now. The furthr in you get the more dificult it is to keep track of the endless wave of names and faces. I've noticed particularly in the last two books that Jordan his been getting into the habbit of giving overly long introductions to minor characters early on in one book only to not bring that charcter back up untill much later on with almost no reintroduction what so ever.

I can clearly remember enjoying each book as I fenished it wondering to myself why people where so harsh on the books after 4. I think I'm beginning to understand. After book 4, looking back, it becomes defficult to make heads or tails of how those books' events had any baring or impact on the progression of the story as a whole. Books 1-4 where much more clearly structured so that even ten books in you can easily remember why those book where fun to read and important to the story's progression. Can any one whose read atleast eight or nine of the books remeber why book 6 was important? Book seven? Eight? While the books can be enjoyable while reading them the later ones begin to lose those tangible points that your memory can cling onto so that you can remeber why each book was good and important to the series as a whole.

Offline p-luke

• Joust Warrior
  • The Atheist God
    • View Profile
Re: Wheel of Time series: What do you think?
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2006, 06:00:29 pm »
I just began reading book 3. I'm guessing that at the speed at which I read, ill be done with the entire series next summer. So far I love all of the books, although sometimes im like "wtf? Why didnt he just...", but then again, its a fictional world. For now, Robert Jordan and Robin Hobb are my favorite writers.