Author Topic: Which Pratchett first?  (Read 10787 times)

Offline lemurbouy

• Defender Devotee
  • oh my...
    • View Profile
    • Leeman's Livejournal!
Re: Which Pratchett first?
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2006, 09:27:47 am »
I 100 percent agree.  I was lucky to have read Colour of Magic and Light Fantastic back when I was in High School and had low standards.  If I started with them now, I probably would give the series a miss instead of having read them all far too many times. -leeman

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2006, 11:24:12 am »
It may not be part of any grand series of books, but I loved Good Omens with Neil Gaiman. So if you're interested in seeing if Pratchett is someone you would enjoy before diving right into his other works (that are all seemingly connected in some way), you might give it a go first.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2006, 01:42:00 pm »
It may not be part of any grand series of books, but I loved Good Omens with Neil Gaiman. So if you're interested in seeing if Pratchett is someone you would enjoy before diving right into his other works (that are all seemingly connected in some way), you might give it a go first.
Good Omens is the best book Pratchet (if not anyone) has ever written. Everyone go and read it now.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

werechicken

« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2006, 05:45:08 pm »
Good Omens is the best book Pratchet (if not anyone) has ever written. Everyone go and read it now.
I 100% agree it is both funny and witty and although some of the jokes are a little dated (there's a running joke about Queen tapes) it is a fantastic read

Offline lemurbouy

• Defender Devotee
  • oh my...
    • View Profile
    • Leeman's Livejournal!
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2006, 05:31:46 am »
Queen is never dated.  Wayne's World and Electric Six proved that to us.  -leeman

Offline KoR_Wraith

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2006, 02:14:55 pm »
The first one I read was Men At Arms, it seems to give a good introduction to characters if you haven't read any other books. After that it was just random for me :)

Offline Hizzah

• Bezerk Brawler
  • http://www.pbfcomics.com/
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2006, 11:57:46 am »
Never read Good Omens, but now I think I will.

The first Pratchett book I read was Night Watch. I just picked it up at random while I was at the library. Probably the single worst one to start out with, as absolutley nothing made sense for me. But I loved his style of writing so much that I read it anyways. Really, the first few you read aren't going to make that much sense, but as you read them, you'll understand more and more.

My suggestion for first read: Theif of Time. It introduces a lot of different things, but you don't have to know what happened in other books for the characters/etc. to make sense.

Offline lemurbouy

• Defender Devotee
  • oh my...
    • View Profile
    • Leeman's Livejournal!
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2006, 04:53:59 pm »
I like Thief of Time but it does build off of a fair amount of characters like the Auditors and Susan.  It's all about Mort and Small Gods for me when it comes to trying to convince people what book to read.  Anywho, there you have it. -leeman

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2006, 04:29:49 pm »
Moving pictures is a good starting point. Its when he stopped writing a straight fantasy spoof and began to make his own little world.

Offline Glacies

• Tempest Top Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2006, 03:53:02 pm »
Men at arms is my favorite.  ;D But good omens is better, truly. Only you can save mankind is good if you played old DOS space shooters.

Offline Danger Mouse

• Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2006, 06:06:17 am »
Yep definitely recommend Wyrd Sisters and Guards! Guards! I recently read The Truth - also a good read.
Good Grief!

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2006, 09:56:56 am »
Moving Pictures is great if you know stuff about the history of cinema.

Offline Manna

• Frogger Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2006, 10:20:30 pm »
Mort. I always give people Mort to read first. You have to work your way up to COM and LF (though if you can read them first, it's always a bonus).

I'm the same, I usually start people on mort because it's a good quick read with plenty of pratchett humour. if you intend on reading lots though I suggest you start from the first (colour of magic) and work your way up coz stuff that happens to rincewind may come into it in later novels and you wont know whats going on.
Dont look at me, I'm irrelevant!

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2006, 02:15:33 am »
Indeed. Don't start with later books unless you can avoid it, otherwise many of the jokes will be lost on you (seriously - there are more in-jokes in Pratchett than you'd think). The characters get their best introductions when he originally introduces them, surprisingly.

Offline Fallen Angel

• Microvision Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2006, 10:15:19 pm »
I picked up 'Thud!' because i was the only one in large print / hardcoer, and loved i despite the unknown references, it was well footnoted (like the note about Nobby Nobs being the only human to need a birth cert to prove being human.)

So meh...whatever. Just get a later book that's footnoted. Thud! is good because there is enough backstory to make me question WHAT happened previously.
Poster by Qyigbo at Spacebattles
The aim assist in Halo2 is quite insane - in the PC world its usually goes by the name of Aimbot. :p

http://nexgenwars.com/images/wii_forum2.jpg