Poll

What will be the biggest difference between your creature and most earth ones?

Size
36 (13.6%)
Number of Arms
50 (18.9%)
Number of Heads
9 (3.4%)
Number of Environmental Manipulators
44 (16.6%)
Number of Mouths/Eyes/etc.
29 (10.9%)
Underwater & sentient
45 (17%)
Other ... and what
52 (19.6%)

Total Members Voted: 170

Author Topic: What will be the biggest difference between your creature and most earth ones?  (Read 23169 times)

Offline mrodgers

• Choplifter Captain
    • View Profile
I just wanted to find out how people are going to be designing their creatures. If people have any guiding principles that make their creatures inherently different from terrestrial ones. With all the "Check out my creature ..." threads it seems like people have given this some thought. If your creature isn't inherently different, tell me why not and what drove the design.

Thanks everyone.

I'm particularly interested in creatures with odd numbers of arms ... either 3 or 5 and how they react with the world.
I also a a big fan of seeing a couple of different manipulators on each arm so basically 2 hands rather than 1.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2006, 04:05:04 pm by mrodgers »

Check out my (Thurlin's) creatures, building, and vehicles.  You won't be disappointed.

http://www.spore.com/flash/csa_widget.swf?userid=2263477425&username=Thurlin&host=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.spore.com%2Fview%2Fuser-thumbnail

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
well, there ARE some creatures on earth that look so strange they could be alien, some of them are in the deep ocean :) I don't think size would neccesarily be a choice because there are all sizes of creatures so its kinda irrelevant.

I'd say number of manipulators for one because having one pair of manipulators is pretty much a standard for most creatures on earth, whether its lobster and crab claws, primate hands, the front paws of most mammals. Reptiles don't have the same wrist mobility as mammals so whatever specialization they have usually applies to all 4 feet, however Dinosaurs (most noteably the theropods) could manipulate things. Birds are kind of a special case because thier arms are modified into wings while some bird species can manipulate more or less with thier feet and parrots are known for using thier beak to help with manipulation.

Offline mrodgers

• Choplifter Captain
    • View Profile
well, there ARE some creatures on earth that look so strange they could be alien, some of them are in the deep ocean :) I don't think size would neccesarily be a choice because there are all sizes of creatures so its kinda irrelevant.

Ok fair nough... Let me by more specific...

By size I mean proportional sizes of things... for instance your creature will have a massive head...or tiny hands, etc etc. (compared to say a human "norm")

I am ignore some of the more unusual creatures on the earth, like in the deep sea, simply because they are outside of the range of most people's experiences.  I am thinking, in this poll, of your creature compared to the more common animals or plants that most people will know of.
Check out my (Thurlin's) creatures, building, and vehicles.  You won't be disappointed.

http://www.spore.com/flash/csa_widget.swf?userid=2263477425&username=Thurlin&host=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.spore.com%2Fview%2Fuser-thumbnail

Offline mythicalmonk

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
I'm still deciding on my creatures, mainly cus I'm going to make them on the spot, but I think I'm going to have a few games running, one definatly being totally underwater.  So underwater sentience.

I am planning a few of my guys.  One under, one over water.  Other than that (if any others, probably not till both are at space), I will do on the spot.  Although, I may do one on the spot then do my planned ones.  (I am designing the land one on the spot [not the water one, that I'm planning how to build], but the course I am taking with them I have decided.  So... yea.  Sorry, I started to digress there.)

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
Well you were saying most. Well most creatures on earth are single celled. And then after that most are invertibrates. And only a small portation are the vertibrates like mammals, birds, reptiles, amphians, fish, etc.

So are you asking if i will make it diffrent from invertibrates which have many limbs and eyes etc? Or do you mean will i make it diffrent from Earth's vertibrates?

Offline mrodgers

• Choplifter Captain
    • View Profile
Well you were saying most. Well most creatures on earth are single celled. And then after that most are invertibrates. And only a small portation are the vertibrates like mammals, birds, reptiles, amphians, fish, etc.

So are you asking if i will make it diffrent from invertibrates which have many limbs and eyes etc? Or do you mean will i make it diffrent from Earth's vertibrates?

Meaning not invertibrates. Please don't nit pick. I mentioned that I am looking at plants and animals that most people are familiar with. How many people immediately think about how many bacteria and single cell creatures there are when someone says plants and animals?
« Last Edit: April 06, 2006, 07:17:37 pm by mrodgers »

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile

I was talking about multicellular animals :P

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
[I am ignore some of the more unusual creatures on the earth, like in the deep sea, simply because they are outside of the range of most people's experiences.  I am thinking, in this poll, of your creature compared to the more common animals or plants that most people will know of.

Meaning not invertibrates.  Please don't nit pick.  I mentioned that I am looking at plants and animals that most people are familiar with.  How many people immediately think about how many bacteria and single cell creatures there are when someone says plants and animals?

Me becuase i am a biology nut ;)

To get an idea of how many unfamilar creature there are on earth just look at this nice site with the tree of life.

Tree of Life Web Poject
http://tolweb.org/tree/phylogeny.html

After looking at this you have better apecation for how diverse or planet is and was. So many creates seem so alien, yet are acually reall common and very abundant. Its just tend we look at the big creatures more than the many small ones, while infact the small ones are more more interesting than the big in body shapes and features.

I should really draw like 2 creatures and see if you can tell which one is real and which one i made up. You would be surprised.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2006, 12:00:21 am by Hydromancerx »

Offline mrodgers

• Choplifter Captain
    • View Profile
Me becuase i am a biology nut ;)

As am I, but thats why I distinguished between creatures some people would know about and those that most people would be familiar with.  There are tons of unusual creatures on this planet, most of which we probably don't know about yet.  For the purposes of this poll however, thats irrelevent however.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
How about: totally different body plan. All vertibrates on earth have a standard body plan of pelvis, spine, chest, head and four limbs (even if they are fins, ok- snakes ::) and eels ::))

Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
oh yea I see what you are getting at, since the creatures will have bones and a spine, they would all be vertebrates almost. Although with the right skin you can make things like the spider monster look like they have an exoskeleton.

the main differences would be the number of limbs, environmental manipulators, number of eyes probably and maybe more than one mouth.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2006, 02:59:00 pm by smjjames »

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
well, you could have creature which is composed of two radial sets of four legs connected by a spine with all its eyes/mouth etc in the tube that connects its leg sets maybe
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Borogove

• Venture Conqueror
  • mimsy: adj. - flimsy and miserable :(
    • View Profile
    • Meyermike.com
I plan to try out bifurcating limbs in Spore (like "Buttface" from the GDC presentation).  Arms sprouting from my strange biped's knees, for instance.

Also, I'd like to try a creature that instead of fingers, uses many arms to maipulate things...sort of like having the whole arms be the fingers.  Proabbly not doable in Spore :)

And I especially want to try something like Trogdor, and see it try to grab things with the one arm coming out of the back of his neck :)

And all kinds of other stuff that barely works and probably won't survive long :)
Use those talents you have. You will make it. You will give joy to the world. Take this tip from nature: The woods would be a very silent place if no birds sang except those who sang best.
-- Bernard Meltzer

Check out my games:  http://www.meyermike.com

Offline GrrrArrgh

• Venture Conqueror
    • View Profile
I don't know about limbs in strange places, but I did once have an idea for a creature with a whole bunch of 'em. Sort of bipedal with two legs and a tail, around 21' in height. Feet with eight talons, two on each side. The tail having the same foot appendage attached to the end of it, so it could also function as a very flexible third leg. Four large arms with seven digits on each hand, four fingers three thumbs. Two smaller arms coming out from the chest with five digit hands(three fingers and two thumbs). Head and neck like a pterosaur with a beak that can open in four separate sections, three rows of teeth. And 43' wingspan. This behemoth was originally envisioned as belonging to a primitive but sentient species, but now I think about it again I could see a somewhat more condensed version as a rather nasty air predator.
There is a method to my madness. That method is in and of itself quite mad, but it is method nonetheless.

Offline mythicalmonk

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
People are worried about having the spine and stuff.  You could have an octopus with a regular length spine, but pretend they don't.  Most likely nobody will see it anyway, what with the 10,000 premade creatures + ### player-created creatures.  >:D