Author Topic: The Torpal-My New Creature, etc, etc  (Read 139281 times)

Offline huggkruka

• Space Ace
  • Totally powers
    • View Profile
    • My Digitalart.org profile
Re: The Torpal-My New Creature, etc, etc
« Reply #60 on: February 21, 2006, 02:38:15 am »
Gorpt=Pwns!

Offline B.A.S.

• Time Pilot Trekker
  • WAR GSP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 21, 2006, 08:00:24 am »
wow amazing artwork, I guess i better get into an art class if i even want to do anything around here. The Gorpt look awsome by the way, that Torpal that killed one must of had quite the fight on his hands. Once again nice job and keep it up.
Your Friendly Canadian Fighter :)
"It is defeat that turns bone to flint, gristle to muscle- it is defeat that makes men invincible"- Henry Ward Beecher
Inkling:Durgon only comes by when he is taking a break from beating up people and animals

Offline operaghost21

• Rush'n Attacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 21, 2006, 08:19:36 am »
thanks guys! I really liked how these came out, so I'm glad you like them  ;D
"You hate people!"
"But I love gatherings. Isn't that ironic?"
~Clerks
Quote from: Kaizer
THINGS TO DO:
Get quoted to a sig [ ]

Offline operaghost21

• Rush'n Attacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 22, 2006, 08:29:05 am »
okay here's two more pictures.

this first one (which I actually thought about more than I had expected) is just called an arachnabulb. it is actually a mix of plant and animal life.

The largest part of the arachnabulb is the big bulb thing, which houses the mouth stalk and vinacles(I'll talk about those in a sec). Connected to the bulb are four legs, camouflaged as tree branches, which it uses to move around. The arachnobulb hunts by first lying still. Sprouting around the bottom of the bulb are little things that look like berries. This appearance, along with a pheromone they excrete, attracts smaller animals to them. When a creature attempts to bite one, one of the arachnabulb's vinacles (a combination of vines and tentacles, I suppose) comes out from the bulb and picks the creature up, lowering the creature into its beak which comes out from the middle of the bulb. For reproduction, every year, when the arachnabulbs make seeds, the seeds are developed in a juice-type thing in the bottom of the bulb. When the seeds are ready, they take their tentacles, smear it in the 'juice', and then smear it on fertile ground.

next, we have a torpalian 'pet', the Creen.

What's that, you say? Why would a culture based around war and violence have pets? *Commence evil grin*
The creen are not 'pets' in the normal sense. In the normal sense, I mean how we think of it, because I don't feel like explaining it. When a Torpal youth has been judged, and is decided to go into a career in the military, each new recruit is given a new-born baby creen. While the torpal goes through military school, learning how to fight and survive and other such things, the torpal raises the creen by himself, nurturing it, and teaching it to hunt/kill/fight, etc. After about 10 years, when the torpal's training is complete, the torpal is given one final test he must pass to be allowed into the army as an official soldier. (At this point, a creen standing on its hind legs is as tall as a full-grown torpal.) To become a soldier, the torpal must kill their own creen with their bare hands (no weapons)! The preferred method is wrestling it to the ground, and then stabbing it in the throat with its own front claws, though some more daring students jump on its back and snap its neck, thought the quills usually hurt them in the process. As the torpals see it, once they are able to kill such a dangerous creature that they have also known since its birth, they are both mentally and physically prepared to be a soldier.
(I would just like to point out on the creen the little shine effect thing on its front claws. I am more proud of that than anthing else I've drawn in this entire thread  ;D)
"You hate people!"
~Clerks
THINGS TO DO:
Get quoted to a sig [ ]

Offline huggkruka

• Space Ace
  • Totally powers
    • View Profile
    • My Digitalart.org profile
« Reply #64 on: February 22, 2006, 10:31:03 am »
Yeah, i notced the shine effect too. The Creen, and especially their backstory, is very, very cool. Does the Torpal know this until they are told to kill it, or is it a secret ritual? Otherwise everyone would train really weak Creen(OK, people would, maybe not the Torpal!)

The Arachnabul(asaur)  :P was cool too.

Offline operaghost21

• Rush'n Attacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 22, 2006, 01:23:27 pm »
as far as I've decided, the young Torpal are simply told that their creen 'will be vital in helping become a soldier'. As such this motivates the students to train them well, while it is also not entirely untrue. Also, grown Torpal, with the passion for war that they have, respect those that pass the test and view it as neccesary to become a soldier, and so they leave younger torpals 'in the dark'.

The Arachnabul(asaur) :P was cool too.

bulbasaur...*shakes fist like angry old man*  ya' rotten kids, ya'!  :D

« Last Edit: February 23, 2006, 08:32:37 pm by operaghost21 »
"You hate people!"
~Clerks
THINGS TO DO:
Get quoted to a sig [ ]

Offline operaghost21

• Rush'n Attacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 23, 2006, 08:37:37 pm »
hah I saw this in a travel brochure and it reminded me of the torpals' palymrian towers...

oh and I thought of another little bit about the creen to add to the torpal 'mythology'. To become a soldier, a student must kill its creen. However, not every student does. When a creen kills its master, it is further trained by actual soldiers, and they are used as guards, or as gladiator opponents, or even as the occasional soldiers' companion.
"You hate people!"
~Clerks
THINGS TO DO:
Get quoted to a sig [ ]

Offline B.A.S.

• Time Pilot Trekker
  • WAR GSP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 24, 2006, 07:23:53 pm »
wow the Torpals go through alot to become Soldiers, rigourous training and then killing a comrade that they have lived with there entire life, thats some harsh stuff.
"It is defeat that turns bone to flint, gristle to muscle- it is defeat that makes men invincible"- Henry Ward Beecher
Inkling:Durgon only comes by when he is taking a break from beating up people and animals

Offline Mr. Wizard

• Karate Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 24, 2006, 07:32:58 pm »
Like the Spartans did in ancient Greece. They were lucky to live past birthing (all babies that did not fit into their definition of a healthy baby were thrown off a cliff) Then they were sent to military school, where they had to subsist on goats blood and bread.  Then they had to train their entire lives in the arts of war. The torpal remind me of them a lot. Cool creature! :)

Offline operaghost21

• Rush'n Attacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 24, 2006, 08:48:21 pm »
Like the Spartans did in ancient Greece. They were lucky to live past birthing (all babies that did not fit into their definition of a healthy baby were thrown off a cliff) Then they were sent to military school, where they had to subsist on goats blood and bread.  Then they had to train their entire lives in the arts of war. The torpal remind me of them a lot. Cool creature! :)

yeah thanks they (and the vikings) were my biggest inspiration culture-wise when I came up with them (the vikings were the whole 'intergalactic raping and pillaging' and their warriors' afterlife)
"You hate people!"
~Clerks
THINGS TO DO:
Get quoted to a sig [ ]

Offline Vivec

• Gauntlet Wizard
  • The truth has vanished into darkness...
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 24, 2006, 09:00:13 pm »
yeah thanks they (and the vikings) were my biggest inspiration culture-wise when I came up with them (the vikings were the whole 'intergalactic raping and pillaging' and their warriors' afterlife)

Uhhh... That might get awkward.
Vivec, you're the best forum member ever.

Offline Mr. Wizard

• Karate Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 24, 2006, 09:02:25 pm »

Uhhh... That might get awkward.
Well, its the only other way if the Torpals turn out to be against genetically engineering cross breeds. ;)

Offline operaghost21

• Rush'n Attacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 24, 2006, 09:03:34 pm »
well, maybe just pillaging after all...but I do like the phrase... :D
"You hate people!"
~Clerks
THINGS TO DO:
Get quoted to a sig [ ]

Offline B.A.S.

• Time Pilot Trekker
  • WAR GSP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 25, 2006, 09:52:34 am »
Yeh thats what i kept thinking about when I thought of the Torpals....they are Spartans and a bit of viking hahah thats totally kool. So now that we have mentioned spartans and vikings what is the Torpal Death cereimony like, do they burry there creen pet with them if they didnt kill it or something?

Offline operaghost21

• Rush'n Attacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 27, 2006, 01:28:05 pm »
So now that we have mentioned spartans and vikings what is the Torpal Death ceremony like, do they bury there creen pet with them if they didn't kill it or something?

that one actually had me thinking for a while... :D

well first off, the only reason that someone wouldn't kill their creen is if it killed them; maybe I should have mentioned that, it's a fight to the death between them. so they wouldn't be buried with the creen.

anyway, the torpal have developed a few rituals regarding death and disposing of the dead.

being warriors, most torpal casualties result from war. as such, after a battle, the victorious torpal army spends the next day (or however long it takes) in the Feast of the Fallen. Basically, this feast is the winning army feasting on the corpses of all the died in battle (kind of like, they believe they retain some of that warrior's strength by eating them). Also, because of this, you will rarely, if ever, find an old torpal battlefield covered with corpses or skeletons.

another similar one to this is someone that dies in combat, but not battle (these would include willing elders in death-fights, and young soldiers killed by their creen, for example). when they die, the body is returned to the deceased's family, who then proceeds to eat their corpse.
some corpses are more popular than others', however. for example, when Harn (the godslayer) decided to die by a gladiatorial death-fight, a large, free-for-all battle actually occurred in the streets around the arena over who would get to eat harn's corpse and 'gain his strength' (as they believed)

for any torpal that does not die fighting (mainly women, children dieing of disease), their bodies are simply burned, and their ashes cast into the sea. the ashes are put into the sea not for any real symbolic reason, but more of a 'get this loser's ashes as far away from us as possible' type of thing... :D

and this made me come up with one other little thing as well...torpal, while not being really sentimental, do recognize family groups, which are headed by the strongest male warrior in the family. when the head male dies, all those wishing to become patriarch (all his warrior-sons, for example) engage in a battle, the winner becoming the new family head.
"You hate people!"
~Clerks
THINGS TO DO:
Get quoted to a sig [ ]