Author Topic: The Torpal-My New Creature, etc, etc  (Read 127559 times)

Offline operaghost21

• Rush'n Attacker
    • View Profile
The Torpal-My New Creature, etc, etc
« on: January 28, 2006, 10:10:05 pm »
What can I say? I too have been inspired by some of the incredibly awesome creature creations here, and I'm in the process of coming up with all the little-bitty details for my own (I've already come up with a fair amount, but it's still being fine-tuned).  And I would just like to say, all constructive criticism is glady welcomed.  ;D

Well, to quit rambling, my creatures are called the Torpal. This picture here was an early tribal-stage Torpal. He's now found under history.

The Almighty Torpal

Some basic information for now:
Scientific Name: Cristatus Tetrarmo (Crested Four-Arm)
Average Height: 8'-10' (males), 7'-8' (females)
Average Weight: 450 lbs
Carnivourus (actually omniverous, but they really don't like eating plants)
Lifespan: Up to 80 years
Reproduction: Matures by age 25; pregnant for 11 months; gives live birth to 3-5 offspring.
Body: Short fur, tough skin. Four strong arms. 2 large claws on each foot, third smaller claw is a poisounous barb. Crest-thing on head contains nasal cavity; can smell and make trumpet-like calls (a bit like parasaurolophus). Bad hearing, fair eyesight. 

Home planet of the Torpals, Tjorn (click!)

lovely pic courtesy of ittiz

And over the next few days I should have their evolutionary line, history, culture and religion; I'm working on that now.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2008, 09:16:54 am by operaghost21 »

"You hate people!"
"But I love gatherings. Isn't that ironic?"
~Clerks
Quote from: Kaizer
THINGS TO DO:
Get quoted to a sig [ ]

Offline Golgrig

• Star Castle Cadet
  • I am Will Wright's complete lack of suprise.
    • View Profile
Re: The Torpal-My New Creature, etc, etc
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2006, 10:19:25 pm »
is that a cave dwelling  Torpal?
what is their culture like?
what is their planet like?
do they have human equivalent everything?
what is their closest earth equivalent animal?

Do they have Tentacles?

"6.4 Um's per minute" or "The Speed of Wright

An adventurer in the land of who gives a ****

The idea is to mix one ingredient that will burn very fast with a second ingredient that will supply enough oxygen for that burning. This burns so fast, it's an explosion.

Offline operaghost21

• Rush'n Attacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2006, 10:32:12 pm »
to give you some really quick answers for the time being...

yes
violent
pleasant
not really, i dont think
ape
no

"You hate people!"
~Clerks
THINGS TO DO:
Get quoted to a sig [ ]

Offline Golgrig

• Star Castle Cadet
  • I am Will Wright's complete lack of suprise.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2006, 10:41:06 pm »
to give you some really quick answers for the time being...
yes
violent
pleasant
not really, i dont think
ape
no

I was just making a joke on how everyone makes these absurd on the spot questions on obscure things.
I threw the tentacle question in as a joke

so violent as in natural killers and amoral beasts or as in lions and bears?
gotten any further on the civilization of your creation, like what their modern period is like?
"6.4 Um's per minute" or "The Speed of Wright

An adventurer in the land of who gives a ****

The idea is to mix one ingredient that will burn very fast with a second ingredient that will supply enough oxygen for that burning. This burns so fast, it's an explosion.

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2006, 10:59:35 pm »
They are spreading!

We really need our own spore creature forum ;)

Offline Mangerman

• Tempest Top Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2006, 12:37:44 am »
We really need our own spore creature forum

Yeah, everywhere you go, you see Creature topics. It's getting crowded.

P.S: Nice creature
A multitude of rulers is not a good thing. Let there be one ruler, one king.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2006, 03:13:59 am »
Question: why do they all (or a lot of them at least) have 4 arms? it seems to be a trend.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline huggkruka

• Space Ace
  • Totally powers
    • View Profile
    • My Digitalart.org profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2006, 03:45:16 am »
Mine has only two, but four legs... I think a real challenge would be to create a sentient creature without arms at all, even better without legs. Explain that, Darwin!

Quote from: operaghost21
Carnivourus (actually omniverous, but they really don't like eating plants)

I agree with them.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2006, 05:48:25 am »
He doesnt have to, hes dead and a creature couldnt become civilised without opposable digits of some sort outside a game anyway.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2006, 03:25:45 pm »
Question: why do they all (or a lot of them at least) have 4 arms? it seems to be a trend.

I guess people are going for something more alien looking.

I wish I could draw as well on the computer as you guys. still I can draw pretty good on paper, but don't have a scanner.

Offline Vivec

• Gauntlet Wizard
  • The truth has vanished into darkness...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2006, 04:29:46 pm »
He doesnt have to, hes dead and a creature couldnt become civilised without opposable digits of some sort outside a game anyway.

Um.... dolphins? They are at least fairly sentient.
Vivec, you're the best forum member ever.

Offline operaghost21

• Rush'n Attacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2006, 08:30:37 pm »
Okey-dokey. Here is Torpalian History, Religion, and Culture (maybe not necessarily separate)

History
Torpalian years are based on the Reign of the Godslayer (RGS/year 0). Thus, years are BGS (Before Godslayer) and AGS (After Godslayer).

Early Cave-Dwelling Torpal

4500-4000 BGS-Torpal develop sapience. The Torpal develop intelligence on the island of Braham. After establishing a general tribal life and means of communication, these Original Torpal (OrTo for later references) are adequately intelligent, and moderately peaceful.

2500-2450 BGS-Exploration and Mapping of Tjorn. At this point, the Torpal have developed decent seafaring and mapping technology, and so begin exploring and mapping the landmasses of their planet, Tjorn.

The Planet Tjorn; and Colonization Routes

2300-2200 BGS-Colonization. After charting all the major landmasses on Tjorn, The OrTo begin to send groups to colonize these continents. These colonies, though surrounded by more dangerous wildlife than back home, survive with aid from Braham.

2140 BGS-The White Plague. A horrific plague received from one of the continents decimates most Torpalian inhabitants of Braham. Spreading to the other mainlands, where it does minor damage also, Braham and major continents lose contact for about the next 2400 years.

2140-0 BGS-Life Goes On During this time, all groups, having been affected by the white plague, nearly start from scratch. On Braham, society re-develops as it did before, but, fearing another plague, they cut off contact with the mainlands. As for the colonized Torpal, life is rough. Without any more supplies from Braham, they begin getting stronger to survive, and as they grow, gain a passion for fighting. During this time, numerous empires and tribes arise, minor wars are fought between different islands and between inhabitants of the islands themselves, and these Torpal become a more aggressive group than the OrTo.

0 RGS-Gorpt is Slain. Harn the Godslayer, generally regarded to be the strongest Torpal that ever lived, becomes the first to kill a Gorpt. (more information on this event in the Religion section). Torpals the world over faun over him, and this begins the Harnian Dynasty, the closest to a golden age that the Torpal ever had before present day.

Harn the Godslayer

42 AGS-Harn Dies. Harn dies in a ritualistic fight (more information in Culture section) at the age of 78.

43 AGS-Harnian Empire collapses. Being that no one could hold as much respect as Harn, his empire falls a year after his death due to numerous rebellions.

320 AGS-Re-exploration. The OrTo finally decide to re-explore their world, and nearly all groups involved are killed by the violent, mainland Torpal.

335 AGS-OrTo Domination. The OrTo, more technologically advanced (for reasons explained later), swiftly begin conquering all lands in retaliation.

360 AGS-Mainland bands together for once (took them 25 years) and fights the OrTo, beginning the Big War (yes, that's what they call it). (The current technological ratio between sides is about pre WWI:middle ages)

431 AGS-War's end. The OrTo army, though more advanced, simply faced an incredibly larger-sized army, and thus both sides about equaled out. Finally just running out of resources, soldiers, etc, the OrTo come up with a plan everyone likes. The Torpalian War Treaty is signed. The treaty dictates that  every two years, for 3-4 months, every continent's army can just get together and kick the crap out of each other, for both money and bragging rights. This both ends the war, and lets everyone have peace while still being able to fight. To regulate these wars, the War Council is formed (pretty much the closest thing to the UN they'll ever have).

684 AGS-The discovery of Space. The Torpal launch their first ship into space.

740 AGS-About the Torpal equivalent of modern-day humanity.

790 AGS-World peace. The Torpal discover life elsewhere in the Universe, and this discovery unites the entire planet under the realization that they can conquer all life in the Universe!

Religion and Culture

On the main continents of Tjorn, a creature known as the Gorpt evolved. They were absolutely massive, carnivorous, and solitary. After the White Plague, the first main religion to develop was that the Gorpt was God (since Gorpt were solitary, multiple Gorpt were never seen together, and thus it was viewed as a deity).
   To attempt to appease the Gorpt, a ceremony known as the Judging was developed. A group of Elder Torpal decided whether or not male adolescent Torpals were worthy (strong/vicious enough) for the army. If they were not, the Torpal was sacrificed. Being that the smart Torpals were not always the strongest, this caused the intelligence of the general mainland population to decrease over time.
   This is why Harn the Godslayer is one of the most important icons in Torpalian history, and a rallying point for most mainland Torpals. After Harn killed a Gorpt, they were realized to be mortal. At this point, the judging ceremony was then changed to simply decide what profession a young Torpal would seek: war, science, healing, religion, etc. And without the slaughter of the intelligence, the mainland Torpal were gradually able to develop technology again (this is also why the Torpal on Braham were more advanced; they never sacrificed the smart, and so their general intelligence had advanced).
   The next major religion to rise was that of Zeshia (which is practiced by Torpals to this day), which came from Harn himself, who was hailed as a prophet. Zeshians worship a deity named Zesh. Zesh looks more or less like a Torpal, though his four hands are thought to be death itself. In this respect, Zeshian High Priests amputate their hands in honor to the Almighty.
   In Zeshian lore, namely the Songs of Sartaal, any who dies a natural death becomes a part of Zesh's hands and provide him the power to hold the universe together. Those who die fighting, however, are reborn in the presence of Zesh himself, on a battlefield, where they get to fight for all eternity (like Valhalla). Also, the little symbol next to Zesh's name in the picture is the symbol that the Torpal use to represent Zesh.
Zesh

Zeshian High Priest

Zeshia, along with mainland Torpals' natural tendency towards violence, led to the greatest facet of Torpalian society: the gladiator fights. Since the slaying of the first Gorpt by Harn, gladiatorial fights have been the most important part of a Torpals' life (besides war). If there was no war going on, elder Torpal would participate in ritualistic fights against young warriors simply so they could die in battle.
   Also, such fights would be used to settle arguments between relatives and neighbors (whoever lived-they were right), or even if the Torpal's had been just plain bored. If a war had just ended, POW's would fight to the death, or be sacrificed to caged Gorpts for entertainment. Whatever the reason, there has always been arena fighting.

Torpal Society is male dominated. Male warrior dominated. Scientists, doctors, and the like are regarded lowly, alongside females (though scientists are regarded slightly higher, they do make develop better weapons, after all). Females mainly raise the children, though in recent times those showing proficiency in other areas have been allowed into different professions.

The next thing I'm working on: Torpal evolution tree
« Last Edit: January 30, 2007, 08:04:58 pm by operaghost21 »
"You hate people!"
~Clerks
THINGS TO DO:
Get quoted to a sig [ ]

Offline Mangerman

• Tempest Top Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2006, 11:21:42 pm »
I like that timeline, and the priest looks nice. Keep up the good work  ;)
A multitude of rulers is not a good thing. Let there be one ruler, one king.

Offline operaghost21

• Rush'n Attacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2006, 07:13:06 pm »
One final addition to the Torpalian timeline:

865 AGS-A virulent mutagen outbreak on Tjorn gives rise to Torpalian zombies! As good at fighting as the Torpals are, the zombie-torpals spread too quickly to be stopped, and so, after years of futile warfare, the Torpals leave their planet once and for all. They proceed to blow up Tjorn and focus their efforts on conquering the known Universe.

[whether that was an entirely serious Torpalian historical narrative is up to the reader to decide]  ;)
"You hate people!"
~Clerks
THINGS TO DO:
Get quoted to a sig [ ]

Offline Vivec

• Gauntlet Wizard
  • The truth has vanished into darkness...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2006, 07:14:34 pm »
One final addition to the Torpalian timeline:

865 AGS-A virulent mutagen outbreak on Tjorn gives rise to Torpalian zombies! As good at fighting as the Torpals are, the zombie-torpals spread too quickly to be stopped, and so, after years of futile warfare, the Torpals leave their planet once and for all. They proceed to blow up Tjorn and focus their efforts on conquering the known Universe.

[whether that was an entirely serious Torpalian historical narrative is up to the reader to decide] ;)

The Torpals are now the most awesome things ever.
Vivec, you're the best forum member ever.