Author Topic: Planet Spore  (Read 15259 times)

Offline Therlun

• Fire Truck Driver
  • Hope and Hate
    • View Profile
Re: Planet Spore
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2005, 04:35:35 am »
First, I imagine that in a few months there will be several hundred Spore web sites and forums around the world, just like The Sims.

how many The Sims sites were there before it was playable?
didnt come the fame for that game with and after its release?
while i did not follow the pre-sims history too cloesly, i doubt that there were many discussions like "do you think i can use a hello kitty toilet?".

spore on the other side is much more in danger of being hyped, giving birth to endless but shortlived sites even before it is released.
some of this sites will be survive, most will perish for a multitude of reasons. (an evolution on its own... :) )
just because some site covered a topic first, does not mean it has any garantee that it will play a big role in the future.
gaming steves insight might give this site here an advantage, but once its released that advantage is gone.

IMO this site, even with a dedicated spore section, will in the long term fall behind "spore only" sites, if it does not concentrate on developing a community as long as it has an advantage.

if it could be achived to build a true "portal" for spore-interested before the E3 (maybe in cooperation with a dedicated spore site, with that sites forum beeing here) then there might be a bright future. :)
Change is being.

Offline RealmRPGer

• Akalabeth Addict
  • Tanket
    • View Profile
    • Realm Protectors
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2005, 09:52:45 pm »
Granted, this isn't a spore-only site. It's a games-in-general site with some good (and I mean GOOD) Spore content. In a sense, "come for the Spore, stay for goodies." I for one can't get enough of those podcasts, and now wish I had an mp3 player so that I could make effective use of all that spare listening time during my daily commute!

Wulf

« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2005, 10:09:56 pm »
Having just a forum makes a Spore site not. Make a large section if you want people to stay here after more info is about. Forums are too hard to get new info from compaired to a news section that is devoted.

Offline Gaming Steve

• Master Chief
  • Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Steve
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2005, 11:04:08 pm »
Having just a forum makes a Spore site not. Make a large section if you want people to stay here after more info is about. Forums are too hard to get new info from compaired to a news section that is devoted.

There is a large news section dedicated to just Spore. On the podcast I cover Spore every single week. As more print items are released, I'll cover those as well on the site itself.
Check out Gaming Steve on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/thegamingsteve

Wulf

« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2005, 11:06:07 pm »
I'm talking more face value. Judging a book by it's cover.

Offline craigp

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
    • Perkwiki
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2005, 08:04:15 am »
Wulf is right, Steve. The General Public won't care that you're a Spore Information Factory. They care who has the best presentation, most links, and best search engine placement.

After all, the info you give out will be cloned by those other, more slick sites within a day.

Now, you don't HAVE to be Spore King. Most people don't want to be Sporking anything, anyway. But if you want to stay on top, Wulf has the right idea.

-Craig

Offline Scipion

• Stargate Superstar
  • Returned from the grave, now with more immunities!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2005, 07:50:14 pm »
A news section is an intriguing idea, but at this time I don't think there's enough info to warrant one. The FAQ will have to do for now.
-Just like Gaming Steve all of my ideas, suggestions, and comments are merely edjucated guesses. These are based on prior experience and current released info.-

Offline WeltallZero

• Fire Truck Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2005, 06:04:52 am »
Why should Steve care about the general public? What, is he going to win some prize for "most visitors on a Spore site"? If someone can't be bothered to fish the info they want from the clearly labelled FAQ thread NOR the forums, and is too lazy to even ask on the latter, why should Steve move a single muscle for them?

More relevantly for us, do we want such lazy bums in these forums?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2005, 06:38:21 am by WeltallZero »

Wulf

« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2005, 06:59:45 pm »
Why should Steve care about the general public? What, is he going to win some prize for "most visitors on a Spore site"? If someone can't be bothered to fish the info they want from the clearly labelled FAQ thread NOR the forums, and is too lazy to even ask on the latter, why should Steve move a single muscle for them?

More relevantly for us, do we want such lazy bums in these forums?
Money? Popularity? An audience? To inform LARGE masses of people about the gaming industry and games?
Why the hell do you think anyone makes a website? I think the people he is trying to reach are the ones who will read the site. What about all the people who weren't excited about spore and didn't google it to find this site? They arn't 31337 like us and therefore he shouldn't 'move a single muscle for them'?
Example: On Steve's desktop there is a genuine popup that has two options; 'Increase traffic to site' or 'Decrease traffic to site' what would he click?

I think I have to digress. Make a page about Spore specifically to generate traffic. You don't have to, but a nice fanbase before spore is released would be nice right?

Offline syphonbyte

• Moon Patroller
  • You know what the payment is...
    • View Profile
    • The Village of Fools
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2005, 10:06:08 am »
if it could be achived to build a true "portal" for spore-interested before the E3 (maybe in cooperation with a dedicated spore site, with that sites forum beeing here) then there might be a bright future. :)

I think a "portal" or maybe some sort of Spore webring is an excellent idea, so that the information can all be collectivized and whatnot. Or maybe I'm just a dirty commie spouting rhetoric on collectivization.

Offline gordin

• Microvision Master
    • View Profile
    • Spore Universe
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2005, 02:51:32 pm »
There will be a lot of websites for Spore in the future for sure, but it is fans who create these, and they won't be gaining a lot if many people visit them, except satisfaction. In the end, the one with the most reliable and fast news will 'win', and right now Gaming Steve is the one. All others seem to just report what was said in this site.
But in the meantime, you can visit my own site too  ;) : Spore Universe
Spore Universe, where all Spore news meets

Offline craigp

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
    • Perkwiki
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2005, 03:27:04 pm »
In the end, the one with the most reliable and fast news will 'win', and right now Gaming Steve is the one. All others seem to just report what was said in this site.
Well, unfortunately, that isn't true. The vast majority of people will simply go to the sites with the slickest interface and highest Google hit. THOSE sites will come here and take the info from this site. Unfortunately, they rarely cite the origin of the information.

-Craig

Offline Gaming Steve

• Master Chief
  • Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Steve
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2005, 04:00:42 pm »
Well, unfortunately, that isn't true. The vast majority of people will simply go to the sites with the slickest interface and highest Google hit. THOSE sites will come here and take the info from this site.

Good point, I guess I should start to watermark all my Spore images in the future and create a seperate area just for Spore info with a slick interface and everything. My Google count is already fairly high and can continue to build on that.

Unfortunately, they rarely cite the origin of the information.

That is what lawyers are for ... and I have several who work for me full-time.
Check out Gaming Steve on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/thegamingsteve

Offline Sash

• Fire Truck Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2005, 04:03:33 pm »
In the end, the one with the most reliable and fast news will 'win', and right now Gaming Steve is the one. All others seem to just report what was said in this site.

As craigp said, that's not entirey true. I speak for myself and a few other Spore sites out there, that the only news we have officially recieved from this site was the fact that Spore is in development for the Xbox 360 as well as the PC; and that's only because Steve has access to inside information.

Sash

Offline gordin

• Microvision Master
    • View Profile
    • Spore Universe
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2005, 04:20:12 pm »
I'd better make sure to include you as the source then, Steve.  ;) Actually right now, the only Spore news I have has a link to you.
Spore Universe, where all Spore news meets