Author Topic: Resources  (Read 10014 times)

Offline MadievalMan

• Breakout Battler
    • View Profile
Resources
« on: January 27, 2006, 10:36:24 pm »
What would you think about resources? Resources like stone, copper, iron that would add bonuses to your creature. Improving your creatures weapons, adding bonus damage to a weapon or better defense for your armour. Maybe as your creature gets smarter they learn about different resources, like first they use stone but one day they discover a new resource(copper) in the stone they when mining! Well anyway i just think that resources might be a cool thing in the game. (Just my opinion ;D) There are many other types of resources, its just I'm to lazy.

alxian, the last

Re: Resources
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2006, 11:36:44 pm »
What would you think about resources? Resources like stone, copper, iron that would add bonuses to your creature. Improving your creatures weapons, adding bonus damage to a weapon or better defense for your armour. Maybe as your creature gets smarter they learn about different resources, like first they use stone but one day they discover a new resource(copper) in the stone they when mining! Well anyway i just think that resources might be a cool thing in the game. (Just my opinion ;D) There are many other types of resources, its just I'm to lazy.

i have no further comment on the subject for the readers of this forum

however the subject was discussed.. and rebuked heavily against anything more complex than explicitly suggested by the gdce video.

basically very few people here want to deal with minig refining and finishing and reducing even a token amount of resources so that the game might be realistic.

they'd rather take everything for granted and work for hours at tedious tasks to earn arbritrary amounts of evolution points / money to "buy" things rather than build them with stuffs gathered from the gameworld.

http://alxian.gametrailers.com/gamepad/index.php?action=viewblog&id=1199

let me not get myself going on the subject again.......
« Last Edit: January 27, 2006, 11:40:57 pm by alxian, the last »

Offline Rutilant

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2006, 12:10:47 am »

i have no further comment on the subject for the readers of this forum

however the subject was discussed.. and rebuked heavily against anything more complex than explicitly suggested by the gdce video.

basically very few people here want to deal with minig refining and finishing and reducing even a token amount of resources so that the game might be realistic.

they'd rather take everything for granted and work for hours at tedious tasks to earn arbritrary amounts of evolution points / money to "buy" things rather than build them with stuffs gathered from the gameworld.

http://alxian.gametrailers.com/gamepad/index.php?action=viewblog&id=1199

let me not get myself going on the subject again.......

Yeah. How dare they dissagree with you?

I joined the boards in the middle of this, and I'd LOVE for there to be more complex gameplay as far as the RTS aspects go, but don't you think you're being a tad childish about the whole thing?

You have differing opinions. Yours isn't any better than theirs and vice versa.

Offline Gauphastus

• Ice Climber
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2006, 03:48:18 am »
It seems to me that if there is going to be trade between civilizations and worlds, the local resources will need to be tapped into.

But it might not be as complex or apparent as you want.
I asked a question about resources a long time ago. I believe Steve answered it for me.
You may only be able to manage your basic resources, but it just may be that there's a little more to generating income than what there appears to be.

Some folks around here need to realize that a good many others want Spore to lean towards a version conjured in their mind.
That's perfectly natural for a game in development. It's their right to imagine, and on a board such as this, their right to discuss or debate certain things. That's all well and good...
...but they don't make the final decisions, therefore there is no need to be at all disappointed about what has been said or decided here. All that is required is a certain level of respect towards other thoughts, which this forum has done unusually well.
Stick to what you know about the game and go by it; it's needless to insist otherwise.
Suggestion and demand are very different things. No need for such hard tenacity.
Sit back, relax, and let it come to you.  8)
« Last Edit: January 28, 2006, 03:51:37 am by Gauphastus »
"Ma all the gods of furious strong be with you as you crunch opposents, and live like a windrammer as you f**k."
       ~Ricky Wangstrom

Offline huggkruka

• Space Ace
  • Totally powers
    • View Profile
    • My Digitalart.org profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2006, 04:32:56 am »
A civ 4-like system could be a bit user-unfriendly. It's easier if you just decide "Spend x% of work force in Mining" and you get a certain percentage of the recourses on your territory. That way you'd use recourses but you wouldn't have to micromanage. It's just an idea though. As far as we know recourses doesn't matter at all.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2006, 07:20:20 am »
going on past games made by maxis resources are vastly unlikely. In Simcity all you need is power (and later water IF you choose to) and money, you dont need a supply of lumber to make buildings or tarmac to make roads. The Sims only had money, the sims two has 'food' that you have to buy but if you want to make a gnome at the workbench you dont need to go out and buy wood and paint and anything else. I think past performance is a good way to judge the likelyhood of game concepts. in this case resources= nope. We even had Will Wright saying that there will be a maximum of three resource types per stage and at city/civ that looks like money, population and ummm it looks like happyness so its not even really a resource.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Borogove

• Venture Conqueror
  • mimsy: adj. - flimsy and miserable :(
    • View Profile
    • Meyermike.com
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2006, 09:06:42 am »
Not trying to be disagreeable, I just noticed that the way you broke down 'resources' in SimCity is quite different from how I would have.   There's population, city buildings, jobs, "Education Quotient", the land itself(affects land value, which affects most everything), even the air(pollution).

Sim City 2000 is the only one I played much of, though.

I imagine Spore will have lots of resources of those kinds, just not so much of the resources that can be represented well by a single number.
Use those talents you have. You will make it. You will give joy to the world. Take this tip from nature: The woods would be a very silent place if no birds sang except those who sang best.
-- Bernard Meltzer

Check out my games:  http://www.meyermike.com

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2006, 10:01:03 am »
Not trying to be disagreeable, I just noticed that the way you broke down 'resources' in SimCity is quite different from how I would have.   There's population, city buildings, jobs, "Education Quotient", the land itself(affects land value, which affects most everything), even the air(pollution).

Sim City 2000 is the only one I played much of, though.

I imagine Spore will have lots of resources of those kinds, just not so much of the resources that can be represented well by a single number.
EQ, buildings and jobs arent resources that you accumulate and spend. Those things are a result of your decisions and your spending of the one resource over which you have total control: simoleons. Those are more a way of keeping score than a resource used to build and maintain things.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Borogove

• Venture Conqueror
  • mimsy: adj. - flimsy and miserable :(
    • View Profile
    • Meyermike.com
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2006, 01:23:52 pm »
So by resources you mean kinds of money?  :)

Without arguing over the exact definition of resource, these sorts of things seem an adequate way to have the player balancing allocations and uses for what they have available, even if we don't call them resources.  "A rose by any other name" and all that.

Skyscrapers, for instance, require money(to zone the land), time(to build), power, commercial demand, adequate road connections, water supply, and high land value.  Even if it isn't exactly saying it costs X of this, Y of that, and Z of something else, it is still consuming resources, uh, stuff that could have been allocated to building and maintaining something else.  I can't speak for anyone else, but I personally prefer this sort of, um, stuff management than just having things cost X steel, Y food, Z wood, etc.

But they could very well break it down as much as Alxian is hoping.  Who knows?
Use those talents you have. You will make it. You will give joy to the world. Take this tip from nature: The woods would be a very silent place if no birds sang except those who sang best.
-- Bernard Meltzer

Check out my games:  http://www.meyermike.com

alxian, the last

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2006, 01:49:23 pm »

I joined the boards in the middle of this, and I'd LOVE for there to be more complex gameplay as far as the RTS aspects go, but don't you think you're being a tad childish about the whole thing?

You have differing opinions. Yours isn't any better than theirs and vice versa.

*pout, of course i'm being childish. Maxis are one of the most innovative developers out there but refuse to extrapolate their games into more complex masterpieces. they'd rather make novel games and milk them for profit.

whats bothering me is that the majority of fans seem to not care. they'd rather play the same game for several years than have maxis use their cut of the profit to build entirely new games.

admitedly that would finally bankrupt maxis in terms of morality given how ridiculous sims 2 development must have been, then they've given themselves SPORE for the next little while, they have yet to annouce simcity 5, Microsoft has foisted upon them an entirely new and decidedly more complex dev platform that needs new content several months early... and ps3 and revlution are soon to arrive.

meanwhile.. is maxis even growing to meet the demands of an ever expanding gaming industry? not like they've made public any plans to triple the size of their studio... EA i'm sure helps however they can but... with so many games and so much potential Maxis seems to enjoy being tiny but successful, [read: greedy].

Offline Quantum Burrito

• K.C. Munchkin Maestro
  • Up, Down, Strange, Charm, Top, Bottom, Burrito
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2006, 02:13:16 pm »
Two words: casual gamers
Quote from: The Will
In a movie, one can always pull back and condemn the character or the artist ... But in playing a game ... we can be encouraged to examine our own values by seeing how we behave within virtual space.
tl;dr. But with all those shiny symbols and numbers it's probably awsome.

Offline happydan20

• Venture Conqueror
  • Discovered the "everything syndrome."
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2006, 02:28:04 pm »
its not that I don't like the idea of complicated rescource management, its that the game is rts lite, to me that make it highly doubtful that it would be in the game.
its not a 4X game  ;)
I survived the flood of 2008 and all I got was this crappy homelessness.

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2006, 02:28:16 pm »
Two words: casual gamers

That's just another word for a "weak gamer"!

Come on 13 more hours! You can do it!!  ;)

Offline 762

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2006, 02:35:31 pm »
I'm against a really detailed resource thing, because this game encompasses the evolution of a species and a universe. With a topic that broad, it's impossible to make everything completely accurate and elaborate from all stages of the game. I would be fine with the way it works in traditional RTS's, where you tell someone to get some crap, then other people build with it. Even though I would like a mix between that and trade with other cities.

In closing, I would be happy with just having money be a resource.

Spore countdowns: USA Europe

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
  • Life is worth much more than gold
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2006, 03:04:16 pm »
I always imagined that you just build buildings (like a Mine) and that the gathering would be done by employees, like Sim City or Settlers instead of traditional RTS workers. Or in the early tribal stages, they just cut down wood when they need some, like wood to a fireplace or stone to an alter.

Quote from: /lurk
PALM: Oh face, come closer. I've needed your touch since I heard that fundamentalist Christians were being stupid again.
FACE: Not again! Quickly Palm, come to me!