Author Topic: Just got my 360!  (Read 1717 times)

Offline Tal

• Rigel Rescuer
  • Farm boy
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Just got my 360!
« on: January 27, 2006, 05:52:38 pm »
There's actually a story to be told before I talk about the system itself, so let me relate to you all the saga of Tal and his 360.

This 360 was preordered by my parents back in August. Sure, not the best time in the world to decide you want a 360, but meh. It was supposed to be a Christmas gift, but we all know how that turned out for a lot of people. But, I was patient, seeing as in how Oblivion wouldn't be out 'till March anyways, I figured I could stand to wait a while. And wait I did. EB called yesterday to tell me that a 360 preorderer had forgotten to pick up their system, and I was next in line. So, I was overjoyed. However, because my parents were taking a trip to Atlanta at the time, there was no one to go with me. I could drive to Savannah, but I'd rather not take that risk while my parents are off on a trip. So, I waited patiently as the hours ticked by. Today at school, I was extremely bored in Yearbook class. I was so bored that I had taken to pacing around the nearly-empty classroom. Then, I was dismissed over the intercom. Being the paranoid person that I am, I thought I was in trouble. So, after a phone conversation, I meet up with my parents at a convenience store, and we head back out to Savannah. But, you have to realize, they'd been driving for four hours already, and took one more going to Savannah and another coming back. So yes, this was very generous of them, not to mention then paying for the actual system and a game. Without Oblivion, I instead bought Call of Duty 2, having played the original and wanted a good shooter. As a bonus, they went ahead and reserved me a copy of Oblivion for the March release.

Now, the 360 is a weird looking piece of hardware, even though we've seen pictures of it on the Internet for months now, it just looks a little strange. But, once you get past the hood, you get a feel for what's running under it. Booting it up, it made no sound at all and setting it up was a snap. However, once I popped in CoD2, the thing starts sounding like a whirlwind. So, I just turned up the volume to offset this imbalance.

Once Call of Duty 2 started up and I began in the first Russian mission, I was blown away. Sure, this isn't exactly the huge graphical leap that was promised, and sure, there are PC games that look as good and better. However, I've always had a mid-range PC, and this was a whole new world to me. The sheer amount of detail, the awesome lighting effects and physics engine were astonishing. I do not own a high-def TV, but the graphics were amazing nonetheless. To me, I couldn't tell the actual difference. Overall, I was amazed at these graphics. If the PS3 is as powerful as the specs say, then my head is likely to explode when I see it in action.

I haven't really gotten into Xbox Live and don't plan to, as I'm not a really big multiplayer person. From what I can see, though, the interface is clean and easy to understand and navigate.

The only problems I have with the 360 are the quirky design, the really loud sound it makes, and the sheer size of the power unit. Have you guys seen this thing?! It's bigger than my cat!

*Note* Wireless gaming is the best. How did we ever live without this?

There are some things mankind was not meant to know...

"If you can't take the heat, get off the car hood." -Bucky Katt

Offline Piloteer

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • We're going to hit the mountain!
    • View Profile
Re: Just got my 360!
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2006, 06:05:05 pm »
Hey, thats awesome man, hope you have fun with it! Sounds like it was a lot of trouble, but I'm sure it's worth it.

I'm personally waiting to decide what I want. The 360 looks really cool and all, but I have no idea what else Sony has planned for the PS3, so I'm going to wait for that before I decide.

Revolution, however, I know I'll be getting right away! (Can you say Metroid Prime 3?)

Offline Danzik

• Gyruss Gyrusian
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2006, 06:10:11 pm »
Congrats on finally getting your 360 and taking the time for this little write-up.  I'm really interested in streaming DVDs and other media from my home PC to the 360.  Have you tried this?

Personally, COD2 is about the only thing I'd really want to play.  That and maybe Kameo but, due to the other two systems that will be coming out, I think I'll wait and see exactly what happens before buying one or the other.

Offline Tal

• Rigel Rescuer
  • Farm boy
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2006, 07:29:17 pm »
Haven't tried the streaming function yet. I've just sort of jumped in and I'm still figuring out what it can do. But, when I do get around to trying, I'll let you know how it goes.

Offline Aybraus

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • aka VFX Watch aka Toothy aka Chris.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2006, 09:23:24 pm »
I'm toothy22 on Steam. Someone needs to invite me into the GS clan!

Offline krazyman

• Microvision Master
  • The Real Master Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2006, 04:45:19 pm »
I have my 360, and I have had it since the first week of December.  (I pre-ordered in June)  Well I love the system.  The games right now are not so great, but Oblivion, Battlefield  and GRAW (Ghost Recon) are all coming out in March. I have to decide which ones I am going to get as I can only get two.  Well the thing I like best about the system is the Xbox Guide and Xbox Live intergration.  Whenever I want I can just pull up the xbox guide and check my messages and see who is online.  This is a good thing to do during loading times.  I also like the idea of Xbox Live arcade.  It is going to be huge.  I have my PC setup so I can stream music and photos off of it.  It is neat because you can customize your dashboard backround with photos on your PC.  I recommend the 360 to anyone that loved Xbox 1 Live.  If not it would be better to wait until a price drop or more good games come out in the future.  I am looking forward to the revolution also.  (It is a better deal, because I can't get two $400+ systems  ;D)

Offline Tal

• Rigel Rescuer
  • Farm boy
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2006, 05:25:04 pm »
About the loading times- In CoD2, the loading is blazing fast. This puts most FPS games I've played to shame with such fast loading.

About Xbox Live- I'm not yet hooked up to this, but as soon as I get a job, I'll be sure to get in on it. Especially after Oblivion comes out. I can only imagine what sorts of things will be in the Marketplace for that game.

Offline Vivec

• Gauntlet Wizard
  • The truth has vanished into darkness...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2006, 05:28:37 pm »
About the loading times- In CoD2, the loading is blazing fast. This puts most FPS games I've played to shame with such fast loading.

About Xbox Live- I'm not yet hooked up to this, but as soon as I get a job, I'll be sure to get in on it. Especially after Oblivion comes out. I can only imagine what sorts of things will be in the Marketplace for that game.

T3H N3KK3D ARG0N1AN$ H3R3!
Vivec, you're the best forum member ever.

Offline Tal

• Rigel Rescuer
  • Farm boy
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2006, 12:41:06 pm »
My thoughts exactly, Vivec.

Offline Piloteer

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • We're going to hit the mountain!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2006, 07:04:25 pm »
Once you do get online and get your GamerCard, you should add it to Steves list of Xbox Live gamercards at the top of the page.