Author Topic: Unreal Engine 3  (Read 7921 times)

Offline Mika Ears

• Lunar Lander Leader
  • Masterharper, Planeswalker
    • View Profile
Unreal Engine 3
« on: March 16, 2005, 08:12:12 pm »
I was watching some videos and checking out some screenshots of the new Unreal Engine today...and I know everybody is really freaking out about this engine and saying its the Source-killer or Doom 3 killer or Far Cry killer or some stupid thing...but I really have to say that their tech demos and screenshots haven't impressed me. At all. Am I the only one that thinks that it has a nice high level of detail but overall its not anything revolutionary?

Offline Gaming Steve

• Master Chief
  • Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Steve
Re: Unreal Engine 3
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2005, 08:39:12 pm »
I actually saw the new Unreal Engine at last E3, and it did look quite amazing. It might only "look" as good as the HL2/Doom 3/Far Cry engine, but what sets it apart is its many "tools". For example, if my memory serves me right it had the ability to age items, which was very cool.

I don't know, I agree that many of these engines look very similar and have similar tools for the developers, but Unreal did look just that much better. And it is quite simple to use from a development standpoint. It is a small thing, but it did look better than those other three and if it can do a few things more than the others than it will become the "new" engine.
Check out Gaming Steve on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/thegamingsteve

Offline Zefrid

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2005, 08:57:33 pm »
I've never really given any of the Unreal games a shot. What do you guys think about it?
Got Gaming Steve forum membership?

Offline pfellah

• Contributor
  • Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2005, 09:17:04 pm »
Can someone provide some links? I haven't seen any screenies/movies yet, so I'd be interested.

That said, I'm always a little cynical about graphics engines that want to be the next big thing. In the end, you can have the best graphics engine in the world, and if it's a crap game, it's a crap game. And (to some degree) vice versa -- if your game's good enough, I don't know that you have to be bleeding edge on things.

Offline Tawxic

• Pong Paddle
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2005, 09:23:29 pm »
http://www.unrealtechnology.com/html/technology/ue30.shtml

What I find intresting is that they say all next gen consoles will run it with ease

Offline Zefrid

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2005, 10:19:15 pm »
Some of the stuff I've heard about the next generation consoles... after that it is Star Trek technology... no joke. :o

Offline Mika Ears

• Lunar Lander Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2005, 07:36:38 am »
Well I mean its nice that it has those tools and developing assist things (Kismet is what they're calling it), but honestly it has some nice detail and everything but it just doesn't look that much better to me. Like I said, nice level of detail but it seems really flat and...just...blegh. I'm not saying Source or the Doom 3 Engine or anything is better, as Vampire: Bloodlines shows you can make the best engine look really crappy. I know it all depends on how the developers use it, but the tech demos they came up with showed some nice physics and everything, but graphically I wasn't that impressed. :\

Offline Zefrid

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2005, 11:48:15 am »
You weren't impressed with the xbox2 graphics?

Offline Mika Ears

• Lunar Lander Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2005, 02:01:56 pm »
No, I meant specifically for Unreal Engine 3. X-Box Next, of the one game I've seen (Elder Scrolls IV), looks absolutely amazing and several hundred steps above Source, Unreal Engine 3 and anything out today.

Offline Pestlett

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2005, 04:03:32 pm »
 The next Elder Scroll's Episode (Oblivion) looks to be amazing, I loved all the ones I played previous and this appears as if it's going to beat them all. An preview about it has came out in PC Gamer, which if all goes well I should have tomorrow if anyone wants any of those beautiful, sexy, scantilicious scans.
 Oblivion is number one on my Games to aquire list, yes, even above Spore. I love everything to do with the Elder Scroll's and this is just going to send me into a frenzy. Here is a link to Oblivion on the Elder Scrolls website.

Offline Mika Ears

• Lunar Lander Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2005, 04:46:55 pm »
I've gotta say that even with all the amazing graphics capable today, the graphically beautiful but still relatively simple games like Sims 2 and Spore top my lists of favorite games. Doom 3, Half-Life 2 and Far Cry might look good, but it seems that I only get endless hours of fun out of the nice-looking but not graphically amazing games. AKA: Sid Meier's Pirates, Sims and Sims 2, Insaniquarium Deluxe, Rise of Nations, etc. I'm not saying those games don't look good, but people aren't giving them awards for their graphics breakthroughs. :P

Offline Zefrid

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2005, 02:16:17 pm »
I know what you mean. One of my favorite games to date is still Shogun Total War

Offline Mika Ears

• Lunar Lander Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2005, 03:13:15 pm »
Hey, Shogun Total War had amazing graphics for its time.  :P

Offline Agent Zero

• Boot Hill Bandit
  • Previously known as Agent Z
    • View Profile
    • Adventures of a Teenage Game Master
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2005, 02:50:53 am »
everybody is really freaking out about this engine and saying its the Source-killer or Doom 3 killer or Far Cry killer or some stupid thing...but I really have to say that their tech demos and screenshots haven't impressed me. At all.

Really? Well, I personally think that the screens look a lot better than Doom 3, quite a lot better than Far Cry and a bit better than Half-Life 2. It may not be a huge leap forward, but it's certainly a small step in the right direction. Also, if what they've said is true then the Unreal 3 engine will have an insanely good physics engine built into it which excites me more than the graphical abilities of it.
Quote from: Scipion
replayability ends where your imagination does...or when your computer stops working

Offline Mika Ears

• Lunar Lander Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2005, 08:25:59 am »
From what I saw it doesn't really look that good. I can't even see a marginal improvement. And since when are good physics a huge breakthrough in games? Dynamic wall breaking and all that stuff has been done elsewhere.