Author Topic: Looking for a book  (Read 6504 times)

Offline Cend

• Brain Games Mastermind
    • View Profile
Looking for a book
« on: April 01, 2005, 11:15:13 pm »
Well, I've got an urge to read a certain type of book...I barely know what it is, but I'll know as soon as I see the book. Finding it is the hard part though...So maybe you guys can help!!

Looking for a book (fantasy) that takes place in, or mostly in a city. None of that 'some evil dark lord rises and our brave, gallant 16 year old hero must save the day' crap (you know what I mean...60% of new fantasy has a version of that as the author's description). Preferably a mature book (not a children's book). The big part really is the whole bit about the city being the main location. Not enough books take place entirely in towns.

An example? Hmm, Kronder: The Betrayel by Raymond E. Feist

Anyone got any suggestions?

"Perfection is just the perceived absence of flaws."
-Marvilber, on the subject of elves.

Offline lemurbouy

• Defender Devotee
  • oh my...
    • View Profile
    • Leeman's Livejournal!
Re: Looking for a book
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2005, 11:37:06 pm »
If you don't mind comedy in your fantasy, the Pratchett's Discworld series (specifically the Guard series) takes place mostly in one city and explores the city very well.  The city takes on a pretty awesome character of its own.  Other than that, I've mentioned books that aren't in the standard LOTR, Belgariad, etc genre.  Game of Thrones deals with cities but hops around a lot and doesn't have a main city.  Hope this helps. -leeman

Offline Gaming Steve

• Master Chief
  • Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Steve
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2005, 09:22:11 pm »
Wow, that is a very specific request. I would say the books I mentioned before. The Farseer Trilogy, The Liveship Traders Trilogy, and The Tawny Man Trilogy (in that order) by Robin Hobb. They mostly take place in a city and have a lot of court intrigue and the like. Of the nine books the only "rough" book I would say is the third book which is the weakest of the nine. But stick with it, they get better and better and the action doesn't stop.

Start with the first one, Assassin's Apprentice and if you like it keep going. I think you won't be disappointed.
Check out Gaming Steve on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/thegamingsteve

Offline DevilMachine

• Q*Bert Qrazy
  • Defender of the Universe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2005, 10:52:37 pm »
have you tried reading the other books in the riftwar series by raymond e. fiest? im currently reading the third one "darkness at sethanon"
although, I still think that the first book "Magician" was the best - that book was amazing.

Offline Cend

• Brain Games Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2005, 02:38:15 am »
Ya, it's specific...the problem is I've read most of the common stuff, and a bunch of rares too. Read everything by Raymond E. Feist, finished the Farseer books (although I havn't read the Liveship Traders). Hmm, who else? Mercedes Lackey, although I don't particularily like her, and lots of others.

I really enjoyed the Farseer books, although man, Fitz is abused a lot. Poor Fitz...

I guess what I'm looking for is a book that involves mostly city stuff but isn't by a super well known author. (as in something I havn't read :p)
And I'm not too worried if no one has any suggestions, 1/2 the reason I made the suggestion is to get the book forum moving more.

Offline Lord Janos

• Wizardry Whiz
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2005, 03:17:16 am »
If you like Krondor: The Betrayal then you will love his first book (based in the same world, with Pug, Tomas, Carline, etc.), Magician.  It's perhaps my favourite book apart from River God.

Offline krjal

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2005, 07:00:34 am »
The spin off of the Riftworld Saga called the...um...can't remember but the books are Daughter of the Empire, Mistress of the Empire, Servant of the Empire (not necessarily in that order) have a great deal of court intrigue.

Still not really what you're looking for though.

What you want is a novelisation of the Thief series :D

I could name a lot more sci-fi books of that type, I'll have to check my bookshelves and get back to you.
+++"Sometimes, when I look into the abyss, the abyss looks back" - [tmo]+++

Offline Gaming Steve

• Master Chief
  • Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Steve
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2005, 01:20:05 pm »
Ya, it's specific...the problem is I've read most of the common stuff, and a bunch of rares too. Read everything by Raymond E. Feist, finished the Farseer books (although I havn't read the Liveship Traders). Hmm, who else? Mercedes Lackey, although I don't particularily like her, and lots of others.

I really enjoyed the Farseer books, although man, Fitz is abused a lot. Poor Fitz...

I guess what I'm looking for is a book that involves mostly city stuff but isn't by a super well known author. (as in something I havn't read :p)
And I'm not too worried if no one has any suggestions, 1/2 the reason I made the suggestion is to get the book forum moving more.

Read the Liveship Traders, those books are much better, I think that series is her best. And if you think Fitz was abused a lot ... you haven't seen anything yet! Otherwise ... I'm not sure what to tell you. I have hundreds upon hundreds of fantasy books in front of me, and I can't seem to find any which are not "super well known" and take place mostly in a city setting.

The other issue is that I have several books in front of me which were written by not well known authors but I'm quite sure they are all out of print (the problem of not being well known!).

The spin-off of the Riftworld Saga was quite good as well. But pick up the Liveship Traders, if you liked the first trilogy you'll love this one.
Check out Gaming Steve on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/thegamingsteve

Offline Cend

• Brain Games Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2005, 02:22:59 pm »
Alright, thanks Steve. I considered reading the Liveship Traders before, but for some reason never got around to it. I'll go find them sometime.
And I've already read all the books by Feist, but thanks anyways.

Offline Sensei Jinx

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2005, 07:20:35 pm »
Hm...Shade's Children by Garth Nix might fit your description. It's a shorter book, but I think you may like it. It's not exactly fantasy, more sci-fi. But it has sci-fi elements to it.

It may not be what you're looking for, but read this review and see what you think: http://www.lostbooks.org/reviews/2001-12-28-1.html

Offline The Evil Blob

• Missile Commander
  • "Enchanted creature gets +8/+8 and has Trample"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2005, 08:46:20 pm »
I'm going out on a limb here, but may I suggest the yet-to-be-published Magic the Gathering books in the Ravnica block? Ravnica is one giant city and the Magic world is obviously fantasyish. The MTG books are also not for children. Just over 300 pages with well over 200 words per page. (This statistic is based on a previous Magic book.) The only bad thing is that the first book isn't due out until about October of this year, I'm guessing.
Why do you park on a driveway and drive on a parkway?

Offline Haddeen Sol

• Adventure Ace
  • The proletariat are undeserving of my presence.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2005, 05:02:07 pm »
I know I loved the Wheel of Time - read that if you haven't already. Other than that, I would suggest the Diskworld books too.
Riot grrrrl!

Offline Behumat

• Joust Warrior
  • Coruscant committee to fight urban sprawl
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2005, 07:04:43 pm »
Try the Jim Butcher Harry Dresden series. Its about a wizard detective living in Chicago. Sounds a bit goofy, but definately mature themes. Laurel K. Hamill's Anita Blake series starts out pretty good too, though I haven't read the last couple of books. I feel she's become to much like Anne Rice and her characters have become bland and without a moral compass.

Offline Tylui

• Zork Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2006, 10:13:40 am »
Anne McCaffrey

Offline stuck

• Robotron Automaton
  • Who is John Galt?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2007, 08:02:23 pm »
Better to bump an old topic than make a new one.

I have a little bit more specific book request. I've heard of this one book where suddenly the top 20 something officials in Washington are killed because of a terrorist attack. Then, the chain of command is transferred down into the lowly Postmaster General, or something of the sort, and he becomes president.

Has anyone read a book with a similiar storyline and can tell me what the title/author were?

Thanks.