Author Topic: MMORPG's  (Read 5222 times)

Offline crippits

• Donkey Kong King
  • Insert Llama noise here.
    • View Profile
Re: MMORPG's
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2006, 11:06:19 am »
just spent the four hours it took me to download Dofus. now I'm having trouble getting it to start. any ideas?

What errors are you getting? Mine was stopping when trying to load the core module. I opened the loader.swf file with FlashPlayer 7 instead and it worked fine for me.

That's it. I spent way too long to not be able to play it last night, frustrating. The core module tries loading forever until it says it can't, then it tries to load something else, and i decided not to wait. So do i have to download Flash player 7 now too? I wish there was a setting on programs that if you wanted it to run like an earlier version, you could toggle it. So what do you advise?

Bow before the Llamas! They demand your respect!

Offline 5pectre

• Fire Truck Driver
  • Eurocorp Agent
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2006, 01:56:28 pm »
I'vre played many MMO's, and out of all the ones I've played the one I would suggest for you is....

City of heores/ villains.

How much are the fees for this one? I've been thinking about picking it up..
"Man will never be free until the last King is strangled with the entrails of the last priest" - Denis Diderot

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2006, 01:58:56 pm »
Dont pick it up RIGHT now. There have been unexplained worldwide server crashes tonight as a result of a poorly tested patch :'(

all the players have crowded onto the union server over here and now the place is swarming with non-english speakers and general trouble makers. i still heartily endorse the game though :P
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline nicholasneko

• Brain Games Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2006, 06:49:11 am »
well... i was talking to a friend... a friend in high places.. and i heard there is talk about 2 new games from blizzard

World of Diablo

and

World of Starcraft

i just hope the subscriptions will work for all of them for the 15$ fee, don't wana have to pay that per month for each game o.o then peoples would have to only pick one or 2 of them o.o as 45 a month would be rather wacky to be paying.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2006, 06:53:03 am by nicholasneko »

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2006, 07:35:56 am »
If there are rumors now then we'll probably see the finished games around 2026. If the rumours are true... I'm betting they arent.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Danzik

• Gyruss Gyrusian
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2006, 10:40:59 am »
just spent the four hours it took me to download Dofus. now I'm having trouble getting it to start. any ideas?
Here's what fixed Dofus for me.
http://forum.dofus.com/topic_en.php?id=10011

Offline carcajou

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2006, 07:17:08 am »
Puzzle Pirates is fun, I found a tale in the desert to be insanely demanding. The amount of work you need to do to get a sense of accomplishment is insane. While I  like the community  for me it just felt like a grinding game in the end as I just went back and forth making bricks. I'm not a fan of Second Life because of their economy system, but some people like it. I know many people went from The Sims Online to there.com to Second Life.

and soon I hope, Spore too will be available on Mac :)

Offline Mangerman

• Tempest Top Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2006, 12:28:04 pm »
well... i was talking to a friend... a friend in high places.. and i heard there is talk about 2 new games from blizzard

World of Diablo

and

World of Starcraft
Hmmm, I remember that Steve mentioned something about that in one of his podcasts (if I remember right), but he said it was very unlikely that those two games will be made. (at least in the near future (5 years))
A multitude of rulers is not a good thing. Let there be one ruler, one king.

Offline Wahh

• Defender Devotee
  • Dubbed Sigmund Wahh as well as El Cerebro Sucio
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2006, 11:14:38 am »
You might consider EVE Online.

The pros:

Automatic leveling up:  you select a skill to level, wait a period of time (usually 1day to 1 week) and then it's done.  (you don't have to be online for the skill to level)
Excellent guild system, including space station building and corporate espionage
Automated systems for mining, fighting, and traveling
Huge world with 5000 solar systems (about 6 planets per system)
Only one server, you get to be with all your friends

The cons:

Automated systems for playing make everything REALLY BORING (i.e. Press button, travel to asteroid belt.  Press another, mine asteroids for 20 mins.  Press another, head back to space station to sell ore.  A total of 3 button presses in about 30 min of playing.)
The huge corporate structure makes it hard for one individual to make a difference or leave a mark in the world.
On the edges of the map, you find "low security systems."  Here, anyone can destroy your ship and your body, in essence causing you to lose thousands or millions of dollars worth of equipment and any skills you uploaded.

This guy's songs are freaking awesome! Just look at that earbean picture as my avatar!
www.songstowearpantsto.com

Offline MadGiraffe

• Adventure Ace
  • Hmmm, colours.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2006, 01:33:50 pm »

The pros:

Automatic leveling up:  you select a skill to level, wait a period of time (usually 1day to 1 week) and then it's done.  (you don't have to be online for the skill to level)
Excellent guild system, including space station building and corporate espionage

The cons:

Automated systems for playing make everything REALLY BORING (i.e. Press button, travel to asteroid belt.  Press another, mine asteroids for 20 mins.  Press another, head back to space station to sell ore.  A total of 3 button presses in about 30 min of playing.)
The huge corporate structure makes it hard for one individual to make a difference or leave a mark in the world.
On the edges of the map, you find "low security systems."  Here, anyone can destroy your ship and your body, in essence causing you to lose thousands or millions of dollars worth of equipment and any skills you uploaded.

You're playing EVE wrong. That's but ONE part of EVE, really. You can also be a pirate, vigilante, police, hauler, tradesman, artist for hire, collector, killmail whore, etc. instead of a carebear who is played by the game instead of playing it, like you should.

Really it's a brilliant game, no grinding, no levels. It is all what you can what you do with it, using psychology, strategical tactics, smarts. Not for the simple minded. Well they like simple minded people there though, nice to get some money and a killmail off, and loot off course.

EVE is the only game with PvP like it should be.

Personal art galleries:

Offline HolsteinCow

• Vanguard Venturer
  • NOT A TROLL
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2006, 02:26:22 pm »
Really it's a brilliant game, no grinding

::)

Offline MadGiraffe

• Adventure Ace
  • Hmmm, colours.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2006, 02:30:10 pm »

Personal art galleries:

Offline Stromko

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2006, 04:49:40 am »
If all you want is community, I would definitely recommend SecondLife. You do need a broadband connection of some kind, but there is a Mac client last I heard that connects to the same world as the PC users.

It's not an MMORPG though. There's several user-created mmorpgs within it, but people can't make WoW out of prims and LSL scripts.

There's no levels or anything, an amount of money is automatically gained every tuesday. You could depend on the kindness of strangers, there's  lot of freebies, but as a new person starting out if you want to buy everything your heart desires you might need to buy some cash. Or pimp yourself out. Or stumble onto a brilliant no-capitol business plan. Or learn how to make nice things and sell them, I think there's even money to be made being a contributor for one of the in-game magazines. Personally the whole 'money' aspect of it doesn't appeal to me, and I'm able to avoid it. Many people would be remiss of what to do with the quest for money taken from them though.

Offline aname

• Starcross Space Cadet
  • The name's Mario, Mario Mario.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2006, 09:43:45 pm »
no matter what you say, WOW, free trail. it will BLOW YOUR MIND! :o :o :o :o :o :o :o
Back in black, with a gray dry brush and a red stiple effect.

Offline Encrypted

• Microvision Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2006, 01:23:45 pm »

The pros:

The cons:

You're playing EVE wrong. That's but ONE part of EVE, really. You can also be a pirate, vigilante, police, hauler, tradesman, artist for hire, collector, killmail whore, etc. instead of a carebear who is played by the game instead of playing it, like you should.

Really it's a brilliant game, no grinding, no levels. It is all what you can what you do with it, using psychology, strategical tactics, smarts. Not for the simple minded. Well they like simple minded people there though, nice to get some money and a killmail off, and loot off course.

EVE is the only game with PvP like it should be.

Eve is boring.  It's like doing your taxes in space.

No grinding?

Maybe not for levels, but you still grind for ISK.  They cleverly disgusied the grinding aspect by touting the "no level" and "realtime skill training" aspects, but the grind is still there.