Author Topic: MMORPG's  (Read 5120 times)

Offline crippits

• Donkey Kong King
  • Insert Llama noise here.
    • View Profile
MMORPG's
« on: January 25, 2006, 12:00:32 pm »
I like MMORPGs in concept. My first one was The Realm. It was a wonderful 2d game that still exists pretty strong, but i can't play it, it's only for PC.  That was a tangent, sorry.

Everquest was neat for me to try out, and i would want to play it still, but i cannot invest the time it takes to level up. It takes me forever because i like to explore more than fight. I had a hard time finding people who would take time out to talk to a newbie. Everyone was way too into whatever they were doing to give me the time of day. So i couldn't really get a party going.

I am not interested in WoW. Seems too much of the same. Guildwars is also not my cup of tea. (actually it is, as i don't like tea much at all) Sims Online? no thanks. Ultima Online? not really. The problem is this. I am a casual gamer, not an addict, and not someone who is going to spend 4 hours a night grinding out in the same area of a game, fighting the same creatures. It holds little appeal to me.

What i do like is the community possibility. I like being with people who see that the game is only that. One where you don't have to spend a month's work in gaining a level. Is there an answer to this?  Is there a MMORPG that will fit this?

anyone...?  anyone...?

Bow before the Llamas! They demand your respect!

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
Re: MMORPG's
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2006, 01:13:12 pm »
City of heores/ villains.
features:
Easy leveling up (no grinding)
No stupid in-game economy and uber items, or any items at all for that matter, that you have to spend months getting.
Super-customisable avatar, you wont look the same as everyone else... if you dont want to
Original superhero fantasy setting with decent story and good selection of enemies to beat the crap out of.
Badges to collect for doing stuff Including exploration
Absence of jerks (this refers to the European servers, in particular Defiant. Ive been playing for two months and ive only met 2 total jerks and one person who was just odd...probably a small child)
All in all pretty dynamic combat system, everyone has their part to play and the ragdoll physics make it fun to beat the crap out of hordes of enemies.
People who actually want to play in a team... but you can also play solo if thats your thing... as long as you arent a controller or a dominator :P

The Cons being that it isnt as "deep" as other MMORPGS and it lacks the cutesy elves and goblins high fantasy element everyone seems hooked on.

Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline DevilMachine

• Q*Bert Qrazy
  • Defender of the Universe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2006, 04:07:33 pm »
there are alot of community based mmorpgs out there. Ragnarok Online is one of them, a great game that has a huge focus on community and guilds.

I cant think of any others off the top of my head, but Im sure you can find some...

Offline DevilMachine

• Q*Bert Qrazy
  • Defender of the Universe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2006, 04:32:44 pm »
check out this Joystiq article on genre-breaking MMOs

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/01/26/more-genre-breaking-mmos/

Offline Interitus

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • You just blipped on my radar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2006, 05:04:32 pm »
I'vre played many MMO's, and out of all the ones I've played the one I would suggest for you is....

City of heores/ villains.
My karma ran over your dogma

Offline crippits

• Donkey Kong King
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2006, 07:32:37 am »
i just might have to check this one out. thanks

Offline crippits

• Donkey Kong King
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2006, 07:46:18 am »
um.. i did a lil looking, but does anyone know if this game is also on Mac?

Offline Martham112

• Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2006, 08:14:23 am »
I am sorry but City of Heroes/Villains isn't out on the Mac. The only one I know of that is, is World of Warcraft.

Offline crippits

• Donkey Kong King
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2006, 08:21:28 am »
great... I am totally for Mac, but seriously it does has it's limits sometimes...
« Last Edit: January 31, 2006, 08:24:27 am by crippits »

Offline Interitus

• Mr. Do! Disciple
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2006, 12:14:14 pm »
The original EQ is out on mac.. not sure about EQ2.

Offline crippits

• Donkey Kong King
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2006, 12:19:10 pm »
i've tried EQ on PC, but for some reason, it was too grindish for me, and there seemed to be no community, unless you knew some certain secret handshake that you would never know as a person just coming into the game. though i think i got one character up to lvl 16. just about the time where you can finally dual wield. It's amazingly dull fighting spiders and goblins over and over again.

Offline BPM

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2006, 01:16:43 pm »
If you're looking for an big MMO for the mac you might have some problems finding anything that isn't WoW...

That said, there are a good deal of small-ish MMOs that are cross-plataform.  If you like puzzle games, you might want to try giving Puzzle Pirates a try http://www.puzzlepirates.com/. It runs on Java so you shouldn't have a problem running it on your Mac if you have Java installed. 
If you're into tactical turn-based games you might want to try Dofus (which Steve just posted up on the site) at http://www.dofus.com/
I had some problems running it with Flash 8, but Flash 7 did the trick for me.

If you're looking for a sci-fi spaceship MMO, you might want to give http://www.vendetta-online.com/ a try.

Fancy some adventures in Egypt? A Tale in the Desert II might work for you. http://game1.atitd.com/main.html

If you like something I can't really describe very well... well, check the website for yourself -> Second Life http://secondlife.com/

I'll post back here if I remember anything else... but meanwhile take a look at these and see if you can find one you like =)

Edit: Oops, forgot http://www.shadowbane.com/ and http://www.lineage.com/

« Last Edit: January 31, 2006, 01:29:18 pm by BPM »
Currently playing:

Rocket Slime (DS)             Guitar Hero II (PS2)
Resistance (PS3)               Zelda (Wii)

So many good games, so little time...

Offline Interitus

• Mr. Do! Disciple
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2006, 02:49:00 pm »
Puzzle Pirates is fun, I found a tale in the desert to be insanely demanding. The amount of work you need to do to get a sense of accomplishment is insane. While I  like the community  for me it just felt like a grinding game in the end as I just went back and forth making bricks. I'm not a fan of Second Life because of their economy system, but some people like it. I know many people went from The Sims Online to there.com to Second Life.

Offline crippits

• Donkey Kong King
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2006, 10:56:57 pm »
just spent the four hours it took me to download Dofus. now I'm having trouble getting it to start. any ideas?

Offline BPM

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2006, 10:16:10 am »
just spent the four hours it took me to download Dofus. now I'm having trouble getting it to start. any ideas?

What errors are you getting? Mine was stopping when trying to load the core module. I opened the loader.swf file with FlashPlayer 7 instead and it worked fine for me.
Currently playing:

Rocket Slime (DS)             Guitar Hero II (PS2)
Resistance (PS3)               Zelda (Wii)

So many good games, so little time...