Author Topic: Demo  (Read 19747 times)

Offline Tr0n

• Dragster Diehard
    • View Profile
Re: Demo
« Reply #45 on: May 02, 2005, 11:33:36 am »
I see what you're saying, and I know that the game is so huge, but Maxis/EA is big on releasing demo content and I would expect this one to be no different.  Here are a few arguments for a demo (and probably just high hopes :)). 
A) Maxis releaased the Sim builder before the Sims 2 came out.  It was limited, but it gave you a feel for both the graphics and complexity ofthe game.  That made me look forward to the game; it didn't turn me away. 
B)  Spore is not going to be as popular as The Sims or Half Life 2.  Period.  It is too focused to a niche of the market to appeal to everyone in the world.  It's going to win over a small amount of the sceintific-minded female crowd that plays The Sims and it's going to win over a portion of the CS addicts who are looking for something new (and siince some of them have God-complexes, this game will suit them well).  A demo release of any type, editor, timed play, or section of gameplay, will get the word out more than it is and at least show that the game exists...people will naturally research if their interest is piqued.  Will Wright has already won over a large part of his niche by his GDC demo.  All these people have to do is actually FIND the article on Gamespy.com or IGN, or listen to Steve's Podcast.  Like I said before, the demo is not going to turn me off to the game in all... it's going to whet my appetite.
C)  Your previous statements tend to contradict one another.  You present the argument that the game is several in one and that giving any one part would not do it justice, yet by giving someone the major feature of the customizable part of the game would be giving too much.  I disagree.  If you give me the editor for the Tidepool era and even the gameplay from the tidepool era, my brain is going to make the association that there are four or more stages of this game that dwarf the part I'm playing.  I get a sample of both technology and the gameplay that I can affect by it.  Thus it's not the Tidepool that I'm going through, it's the syngery between the editor and the gameplay (albeit simple in the early stages) that I take in, not each individual part.

Of course, we're on two sides of the same coin... so no matter what happens with a demo, I'm sure our creatures will be peacefully (or not) coinciding somewhere in the universe when the game comes out for good.
Hey love crusader, I want to be your space invader
For you I will descend the deepest moon crater
I is more stronger than Darth Vapour
Obey me, I is your new dictator

Offline Pepboy

• Brain Games Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 02, 2005, 12:35:04 pm »
I think in response to the points you bring up (keeping in mind that everyone is free to an opinion):

A) I don't think giving away the Sims 2 creator is analagous to giving away spore creature creator.  Keep in mind pretty much everyone had an idea of what the Sims 2 would be, how it would play (more or less), one of the major benefits that Sims 2 had over Sims 1 is graphics - so it makes sense to flaunt the graphical superiority.  But I'm not a HUGE Sims 2 fan (I like it, but I'm not obsessed over it) so maybe it was a different experience for those really looking forward to the game.

B) I disagree with your opinion that Spore is not going to be as popular as Sims.  Your argument, that it is a niche of the market, could (more so) be applied to the Sims before it was released (i.e. only meant for little girls - in fact this was what testing groups said before release).  I think children will love spore - as a kid, what would you rather play - CS where you get mauled every 20 seoncds because the controls and buying things takes some getting used to, or a game where you can mold your own creature?  (Or, from the viewpoint of the parent, which would you rather have your kid playing?)  Teenagers can have fun with the RTS and killing stages (or whatever teenagers like), nerds will orgasm over the evolutionary aspects, adults can get away and create stories (or whatever attracts them to the Sims, multiplied by 2 because its a species).

I agree a demo will create a larger initial sale of the game; but I think in time, for this kind of game, it will reach about the same level as if you let people find out about the game from others.  I say this because I don't remember a HUGE rush for the original Sims, but people kept showing others and it eventually became the hit that it was.  I think we can't really say whether this is a niche game, however, until after E3.  Keep in mind that the number of people who read slashdot or gamingsteve, or gamespy often enough that they would learn about Spore is pretty small.  I know that of the 3 people (all non-hardcore gamers) I told about Spore, all 3 are excited about it.  Not 20 minutes after telling my one friend, he was telling another.  The hardcore gamers I hang out with seem anywhere from hopeful to ecstatic about this game.

C) I can't imagine the tidepool would really whet my appetite - and some people may think that this is as far as the game goes and get the wrong opinion about the game.  I can somewhat see a limited character creator; but releasing an entire portion of the game, at least pre-release seems unlikely to me (but I don't work for EA).

Offline Tr0n

• Dragster Diehard
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 02, 2005, 01:02:11 pm »
Gotcha... and what you say sounds just as plausible.  I just come from a different background...I tend to profile gamers and to put them into containers beforehand.  You're right about the Sims.  Even Will Wright was blown away by it's popularity.  I see computer idiots come in all the time and the only thing they want me to do is fix their coputer so they can play The Sims.  I also see 80 percent of my customers come in with 4 year old EMachines and HP's riddles with spyware and the user is the one to blame.  The original Sims is playable on many many computers.  If Spore requires a heavy system to run on, that Sims market is in for a buy-install-crash-return cycle that I see all too often.  Spore may take off in the future (after it's been on the shelf for a while and stories about the game propagate to the millions of potential buyers.  No one can really predict that, but I hope it does.

I also know that there are a lot of games without a demo... and it works both ways.  People with stellar expectations are disappointed, and people who haven't heard aobut it get the wrong impression.  It happens all the time. Now, we're all fairly convinced that Spore is going to rock, so I suppose I should have more confidence in it's strangth regardless of a demo.

I guess, after it's all said n done, I just want to get ahold of something tangiable... something that is "Spore."  I won't NEED it, because I've all but put the money aside for this one already.  My perception is very biased because I, personally, want to play the game.  So, I'll say the cliche line of, "I don't care if a demo comes out, just as long as they make the game well and they do it right." :)

Wulf

« Reply #48 on: May 02, 2005, 10:58:40 pm »
Thank god I didn't have to write what that other dude wrote in response to ABC. But C
C You give an editor and you give the game and you actually give the game without the money/points limitation so they will get bored of it. You give the tidepool and that's just a bad idea for getting people to want to play it and for the people who want to play already. The crappyness will scare the new comers and the completeness will be too much for a demo (Who the hell releases a demo of their actual game?) and will still get boring for them because they will want to move on. And no this doesn't make them want to go out and buy the game it just gives them a warped prespective of the larger game. And, and, and you are a poopy-head.

Offline Vib Rib

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
  • Multiple Horrible People
    • View Profile
    • RagTag
« Reply #49 on: May 02, 2005, 11:18:19 pm »
Bravo on that last one.
I'm ruler of this moon, boy.
So if you move, I shoots.

Offline Tal

• Rigel Rescuer
  • Farm boy
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #50 on: May 03, 2005, 06:14:56 am »
I think that the best kind of demo would be the limited creature editor. Confine it only to the tidepool stage of the game and let them mess around all they want, tricking out their amoebas and such. No actual gameplay, but tons of customization with your single-celled organism. Then, as they save up their litte beasties, the central server can begin stocking up on mounds of predators and prey for the tidepool stage. Maybe over time release updates so that you can edit sea creatures, then land creatures. This will give you the all the demonstration you need to make fans salivate for more, and allow them to begin stocking the central server with all the creations they could ever need. Finally, when the game comes out, you can be rewarded by messing around in the demo by finally seeing the critter of your dreams running around in full 3-D.
There are some things mankind was not meant to know...

"If you can't take the heat, get off the car hood." -Bucky Katt

Offline Tr0n

• Dragster Diehard
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 03, 2005, 10:24:04 am »
Guess Wulf's got a point.  Let's just remain in the dark, let those who already want the game thirst for it until it's released.  I'm simply afraid that without any sort of demo, the game will fly under the radar, and will sell poorly at first.  It's a proven fact that most of the casual gamers in the world don't read the articles, they download the game/demo when it comes out.  I'm pretty confident that Spore won't fail miserrably, but I think it deserves to be more than a cult classic.

Offline syphonbyte

• Moon Patroller
  • You know what the payment is...
    • View Profile
    • The Village of Fools
« Reply #52 on: May 03, 2005, 11:49:42 am »
You know, lots of times they don't release demos for games before they come out. (On purpose.)

Wulf

« Reply #53 on: May 04, 2005, 05:28:16 am »
Since The Sims was so popular I doubt that EA will hold back on advertising this ****. The game will have really bad commercials on TV, just you wait. (People like bad commercials by the way)

Offline syphonbyte

• Moon Patroller
  • You know what the payment is...
    • View Profile
    • The Village of Fools
« Reply #54 on: May 04, 2005, 06:39:08 am »
The Sims had like 1 commercial ever aired.

Offline merridian

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 04, 2005, 07:36:14 am »
Don't know if anyone has already mentioned this thought, apologies if they have, but it seems like if there IS a demo it would just be the editor, in whatever evolutionary stage it may be, but they might include an empty 'world' for the creature to move around in. With this we can design our creatures and see how they move about. I would imagine it would be easy enough to make a blank 'world' that has the physics thrown in, rather than just the editor where we would obviously create some bizarre and crazy creatures but have no idea how or indeed if they could move about.

We can but hope.
FATE DOESN'T HANG ON A WRONG OR RIGHT CHOICE, FORTUNE DEPENDS ON THE TONE OF THE VOICE

Wulf

« Reply #56 on: May 04, 2005, 07:53:48 am »
Don't know if anyone has already mentioned this thought, apologies if they have, but it seems like if there IS a demo it would just be the editor, in whatever evolutionary stage it may be, but they might include an empty 'world' for the creature to move around in. With this we can design our creatures and see how they move about. I would imagine it would be easy enough to make a blank 'world' that has the physics thrown in, rather than just the editor where we would obviously create some bizarre and crazy creatures but have no idea how or indeed if they could move about.

We can but hope.
The movement of creatures are tested within the editor.

Offline merridian

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 05, 2005, 10:14:45 am »
Oh right ok.

Thanks for that, it makes sense i suppose.  :D
FATE DOESN'T HANG ON A WRONG OR RIGHT CHOICE, FORTUNE DEPENDS ON THE TONE OF THE VOICE