Author Topic: Demo  (Read 20053 times)

Offline syphonbyte

• Moon Patroller
  • You know what the payment is...
    • View Profile
    • The Village of Fools
Re: Demo
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2005, 09:54:59 am »
Hmm, a race of windup penises, that sounds interesting. And I bet the winder thing in the back will unwind as they walk around.

Offline Tr0n

• Dragster Diehard
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2005, 11:15:15 am »
Hmm.... how about the tested n true time demo?  It's worked well in the past.  It allows the immersion and then takes it away!  That's what demo's are for.  As far as basic content being created by demo-users, I'm sure that not only has a ton of basic content already been created, but those in the closed beta (if there is one) would be the designers for most of the content that ships, as I'm sure Will Wright wouldn't want the first creature you run into to be user-created walking penis ;).  Save that for intergalactic exploration.
Hey love crusader, I want to be your space invader
For you I will descend the deepest moon crater
I is more stronger than Darth Vapour
Obey me, I is your new dictator

Offline syphonbyte

• Moon Patroller
    • View Profile
    • The Village of Fools
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2005, 11:50:17 am »
You can do some cheap stuff to make most time demos break, but it works for the most part. I think they'll release an editor, if anything, sort of like with The Sims 2.

Offline Pepboy

• Brain Games Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2005, 01:10:31 pm »
I think one major consideration of a timed demo is the file size - especially considering the market they are probably aiming for - i.e. Spore won't be unplayable for those with dial-up.

Offline Tr0n

• Dragster Diehard
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2005, 01:53:13 pm »
I was thinking "editor".  But that would almost be too much to give out in a demo.  A demo is supposed to introduce you to the aspects of the game; then again I don't think anything we've come up with can even scratch the surface.  Ideally, I would like just an editor.  Something to play around with and create creatures before the game comes out.  The more I think about it, it would probably be in EA's interest to release a limited editor early.  All of your creations could be saved on you HDD and imported into the game upon release.  That way, some of that customizable part ofthe game comes into focus quickly.  It would be good for a "wow" or two.

Offline syphonbyte

• Moon Patroller
    • View Profile
    • The Village of Fools
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2005, 10:42:13 am »
Most procedurally-made games take up a lot less space than other games, so I don't think filesize will be that big of a problem.

Wulf

« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2005, 11:33:36 am »
Bah. The game isn't procedrally generated, the characters and buildings are. You can't release a damn demo because the game is made up in different sections that are basically demo sized anyway! You can't release an editor because most of the game is an editor! You spend points in the editor for different things so how can you release a demo that won't even be like in the game?! Bah! BAAAAH! You all die!

Offline syphonbyte

• Moon Patroller
    • View Profile
    • The Village of Fools
« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2005, 03:56:05 pm »
Eh, you knew what I meant by procedurally-made games.

That's one thing I did wonder though, would the program structure even allow an editor to be torn from the game and released seperately?

Offline Pepboy

• Brain Games Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2005, 06:11:42 pm »
I wonder if they'll have a playable demo at e3 or if it will be all presentation?

Offline Tr0n

• Dragster Diehard
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2005, 07:48:43 pm »
I feel a demo would be easily made for a game like this, simply BECAUSE is it several games strewn together.  Give us the fully-featured primordial soup with a full editor... don't let us turn into sea-faring beings, but give us a glimpse of the graphics, one part of the gameplay, and the editor for that era.  I constantly download 200-300mb demos of FPS games that you play for one hour and never play again.  Heck, it'll be great if they release anything at all... I mean, beggars can't be choosers.

Another good one I could think of would be something like a screensaver.  If anyone has downloaded Darwinian Evolution games like Darwin Pond or Gene Pool (www.ventrella.com), they provide fun and interesting screen savers to watch.  What would be cooler to have a randomly evolving amoeba scooting around on your screen when you're not using it.  That way, you have a cool and useful way to show how the game starts off.  I mean, let's face it.  A lot of us are pumped about this game and a demo is probably not going to change our minds about buying the game or not.  Just something to whet our appetites (and in a useful manner such as a screen saver) would be very good.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2005, 08:06:15 pm by Tr0n »

Offline Pepboy

• Brain Games Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2005, 05:44:34 am »
Awesome link Tron!  Thank you very very much.  I've really liked watching genepool and all the little creatures (in some ways, the amoeba stage in spore was/is the one I was looking forward to the most, maybe b/c it reminds me of a scientist looking at cells rather than a video game and b/c I'm dorky like that).

Thanks again (I let it run all night in my background and its really interesting to see what came of them).

Offline HolsteinCow

• Vanguard Venturer
  • NOT A TROLL
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2005, 06:41:13 am »
The reason why CoH didn't release their hero creator as a demo was because the creator was built into the game; the creator wouldn't work unless you dragged the whole game with it.

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
  • Now for some real user power...
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2005, 07:05:01 am »
Cool link Tron. Sadly my day will now be devoted to seeing what the 'froggies' mutate in to over the day. :)

Offline Tr0n

• Dragster Diehard
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2005, 10:32:13 am »
You're welcome, guys.  Don't expect these sims to eventually crete humans or anything.  These creatures are limited by the math designing them.  They'll never become much more than little swimming thingies, but it's very interesting to watch them dominate, battle for food, etc.  I usually interacted a little too much with my creatures and it always ended in mass extincions.  Little changes here and there have la little ripple effect, but adding 200 pieces of food or something its akin to a 1 mile wide meteor hitting earth, only in the opposite fashion (population boom, then mass starvation).  Anyway, back to demo talk.  One could see how fun a screensaver like demo would be, if you lenjoy watching these little creatures swim around and compete.

Wulf

« Reply #44 on: May 01, 2005, 10:32:29 pm »
The fact that the game is made up of little games is the case AGAINST a demo being released. You can't release such a huge amount of the game. It doesn't make sense to. No-one would buy this game if it was just one of the little sections of the game on it's own. Plus it is so freeform that you are making the content not the game. You give someone content creation tools (a demo) and they have the game already. It's like releasing the game for free damn it!