Author Topic: Demo  (Read 19748 times)

Offline Tarious

• Adventure Ace
  • FINISH HIM!
    • View Profile
Re: Demo
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2005, 07:41:58 pm »
I think he ment the Sim creator.

The Sim creator was probably only 20% of The Sims 2.

I hope the demo is the creature editor.

Offline syphonbyte

• Moon Patroller
  • You know what the payment is...
    • View Profile
    • The Village of Fools
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2005, 09:59:31 am »
I spent most of my time in TS2 making awesome houses.

Offline xnodas

• Frogger Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2005, 01:20:55 pm »
i really doubt that a demo will come out just because it looked like he was playing a demo of it, plus this is such a hyped up game that maxis wont want to ruin any extra surprises taht are in store for the final version(they could just make it to where you dont get to be a land creature and can only stay in the water) or(they could make it to where you cant start a society, but be able to run around and kill things)
if they do make a demo thats how i would see it being made
"Tell me what you cherish most...give me the pleasure of taking it away." Final Fatasy VII: Advent Children

Offline happydan20

• Venture Conqueror
  • Discovered the "everything syndrome."
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2005, 12:55:43 pm »
i could see a demo easily... what if you only got to play the first stage, the cellular soup
I survived the flood of 2008 and all I got was this crappy homelessness.

Offline bselig

• Boot Hill Bandit
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2005, 09:12:58 am »
Given Wright's track record and the huge marketing push that will undoubtably accompany the game, I doubt we'll see any kind of demo.  This type of game seems like it'd be fairly hard to craft a sufficiently limited demo, anyway.

What I do think we'll see are editing tools released a month or so prior to the game so people can start generating all that content, all that juicy, emergent content, prior to the game's release. 

Offline Zealousy

• Wizard of Wor
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2005, 12:57:57 pm »
I don't think it'd be that hard to make a demo, actually. It could be just like the Rollercoaster Tycoon demo: limit what features are available in the demo (i.e. players can only put a certain number of limbs or mouths on their creature, just to whet the appetite) and add a time limit. Then the player could still have tons of freedom in how they want to play, as well as be able to sink their teeth into the gameplay, but not for so long that people will become bored with the game.
I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather ... Not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car.
- Will Shriner

Offline krjal

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2005, 07:49:39 am »
A possibility but I'm still betting on the editor only.
+++"Sometimes, when I look into the abyss, the abyss looks back" - [tmo]+++

Offline syphonbyte

• Moon Patroller
    • View Profile
    • The Village of Fools
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2005, 08:27:04 am »
Yeah, I'm thinking you would be able to fiddle with the editor, but not really anything else. That would be cool, though.

Wulf

« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2005, 09:24:14 am »
The dude in the show was saying something about a server with thousands of creatures and ****e already there. Releasing a demo of an editor would defeat the purpose of the game and releasing any of the game would eliminate heaps of the fun. This isn't about making some random Sim when the whole game is the Sim...or creature...or spore...or...JUST SHUT UP. Oh, okay. Thank you.

Offline Tr0n

• Dragster Diehard
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2005, 10:33:18 pm »
I would tend to think that the demo would lead you from the very beginning to the first "milestone" where your creature goes 3-d.  I may be wrong (given the limited info) but the 2-d game seems to be a moderately short part of the game and allowing the demo-hungry player to run through that 2-d customizable portion of the game would give us a good sample of the opportunities presented to us in the full game.  Even that, however, could be classified as a game in itself.  What I'd like to know is what strengths/weaknesses one will end up carrying over as he evolves through the ages. /shrug
Hey love crusader, I want to be your space invader
For you I will descend the deepest moon crater
I is more stronger than Darth Vapour
Obey me, I is your new dictator

Offline Pepboy

• Brain Games Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2005, 12:43:14 am »
On the one hand, EA might want lots of creature/whatever content, and be able to test out their server capabilities (i.e. is it able to recognize creatures that would be of an adult nature (think walking apandenges) and remove them, able to download/upload correctly,etc).  But from what Will said (and what I understand), a lot of this game is the creation tools.  Perhaps releasing a dumbed down version of the creature creator, like some options are shaded out/inaccessible?  Or maybe not the creature, but the plant or building creator (as buildings would take longer to design than creatures I think)?  Or maybe EA would just hire a few testers and let them create a lot of the basic content?

Wulf

« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2005, 03:32:56 am »
I wonder if a walking penis would actually survive that well. To make it comical you would need to have tiny hands and feet.

Offline syphonbyte

• Moon Patroller
    • View Profile
    • The Village of Fools
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2005, 07:37:48 pm »
Or possibly big round feet it lumbered around on.

Wulf

« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2005, 05:08:42 am »
Or possibly big round feet it lumbered around on.
Like one of them windup walking toys.

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
  • Life is worth much more than gold
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2005, 08:55:56 am »
I don't think you can make a demo for such a complex game.

Quote from: /lurk
PALM: Oh face, come closer. I've needed your touch since I heard that fundamentalist Christians were being stupid again.
FACE: Not again! Quickly Palm, come to me!