Author Topic: Demo  (Read 19768 times)

Offline Martin4

• Atari Combat Vet
  • Sad, I lost my one copy of Golden Sun.
    • View Profile
Demo
« on: April 01, 2005, 09:21:51 pm »
  Alright, I know it doesn't even have a release date, but Spore is so awesome that people are already thinking of expansion packs. So when do you think a demo will be released?  hope it's soon, because all we have is a handful of screenshots and an awesome forum thanks to Gaming Steve. Thanks Steve.

Making my very own game.

Name-No Name yet
Progress-.5%

Things to do-
Everything...

Offline lemurbouy

• Defender Devotee
  • oh my...
    • View Profile
    • Leeman's Livejournal!
Re: Demo
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2005, 09:27:36 pm »
Getting to play with any of the editors would be so Very.  That's what I'm hoping for more than anything.  -leeman

Offline Jecrell

• Battlezone Captain
  • Giant Snowy Ape
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2005, 10:41:52 pm »
Somehow I can't seem to imagine how a demo of Spore would even "function."

Offline Quantum

• Space Invaders Junkie
  • "I'm just a bean trying to get some sleep..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2005, 11:44:04 pm »
I don't know, but I think any "DEMO" for Spore will simply be an early release of the evolution tools.
--Quantum

Offline SHW

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2005, 09:41:09 am »
Yes, the Create a Sim came out before TS2, and that was it.

Offline krjal

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2005, 09:01:18 pm »
Sounds like the best bet so far.

Something new for the FAQ?
+++"Sometimes, when I look into the abyss, the abyss looks back" - [tmo]+++

Offline apresthus

• Atari Combat Vet
  • Hmm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2005, 02:59:09 pm »
Knowing Will Wright's and Maxis' previous releases, i doubt a demo will be released- :(
-Alex

Offline meh

• Fire Truck Driver
  • Beep. Beep. Beep. Donk.
    • View Profile
    • My Hobbies Online
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2005, 03:02:03 pm »
Other than a editor/creator I'd rather them focus on the actual game than spend time on a demo.
The room of no escape! Enter!
Bring back GooGrid!

Offline apresthus

• Atari Combat Vet
  • Hmm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2005, 03:04:59 pm »
I totally agree! :D
-Alex

Offline krjal

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2005, 06:50:56 am »
Very true.

Not that I think Will would let his baby down for meddeling with a demo ;D
+++"Sometimes, when I look into the abyss, the abyss looks back" - [tmo]+++

Offline Behumat

• Joust Warrior
  • Coruscant committee to fight urban sprawl
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2005, 08:22:11 am »
Hey kids! Now you can build your own demo for Will Wright's upcoming supergame, SPORE! Take one peice of bread, or if you're feeling really excited, TWO and place it on the counter. Now, and this is the important part so you may need to ask your parents for help with this, get the bread wet. You can wait for it to rain, you can pour water from a cup or pitcher on it, you can even use that little squirty hose thingy on the side of the sink noone ever uses for washing dishes, just water fights. THE CHOICES AND FUN ARE ENDLESS! Now...............ALL YOU DO IS WAIT!!! Yup, in just a couple of days you'll begin to see your very own spores begin to grow into mold on your bread. FUN FUN FUN! Keep waiting, and in a quick two billion years or so, you'll have your very own new species!

Offline Scipion

• Stargate Superstar
  • Returned from the grave, now with more immunities!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2005, 07:40:15 pm »
There is a Demo it's called EVO, well...kinda...just kidding. Any demo would probably just be a creature editor, although since that's the whole point of the early stages of this game they migh tnot even bother doing that.
-Just like Gaming Steve all of my ideas, suggestions, and comments are merely edjucated guesses. These are based on prior experience and current released info.-

Offline RealmRPGer

• Akalabeth Addict
  • Tanket
    • View Profile
    • Realm Protectors
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2005, 10:46:01 pm »
Considering that they want several thousand creatures to put on the game's release CD, I CAN see a creature creator popping up. However, that might take from enjoyment of end-game, seeing as how the creation is half the game. For The Sims 2, the creation part wasn't a large chunk of the game.

Offline Stromko

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2005, 05:30:50 am »

Well we can't actually see how a creature performs and how good it is at surviving, when all we have is a creature editor, nor do we get to see it interact with others. I would expect that the creature editor will need to get finished very early in development, right now it sounds like they just need to add a whole lot more options for each part of it... and it'd be a smart move on their part to not give us all the parts, so even if the creature editor is the only thing we like about the game we'll buy it to get 2 or 3x as many options as in the demo. That said, it'd surely take them time to package it as a separate program, so assuming they don't have too many people on Spore already it might slow things down, sure.

EVO is kinda fun, but good lord those boss fights.. it is NOT an easy game! (I actually gave up on the very very very last fight, then just read a walkthrough so I knew what the ending was ;)) Also it seems to me there isn't as much replayability as there could be, since for most parts of your creature there is a 'best' part, usually the most expensive(but also tend to make you super slow). I'd say there's 1.5 or 3 actually viable, really different designs in each phase of that game. With my creature I always focused on being super durable and having a powerful bite, this served me well, although I found the Kick was a very good way to kill a certain raging punching primate..

But hey, that's what Spore's for, nigh-endless customization, and it's probably very balanced one way or another. =)

Wulf

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2005, 07:02:22 pm »
For The Sims 2, the creation part wasn't a large chunk of the game.
No, it was just ALMOST ALL OF IT. You honestly played the 'game' more than you made people an houses?