Author Topic: article in "the week" about WW and spore  (Read 8154 times)

Offline 7LES

• Battlezone Captain
    • View Profile
article in "the week" about WW and spore
« on: January 21, 2006, 06:35:11 pm »
i read an article in "the week" magazine most of it is about WW but it does have some good info on spore it basically has will wright say you can make Galaxy's hundreds of light yours across the rest that was said was fairly circumstantial but it talked about time speed on diffrent stages if anyone has the article they could type up the part relative to spore.

Offline SimEarth Freak

• Fishing Derby Champion
  • Trichordates are now sentient
    • View Profile
Re: article in "the week" about WW and spore
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2006, 06:42:16 pm »
i read an article in "the week" magazine most of it is about WW but it does have some good info on spore it basically has will wright say you can make Galaxy's hundreds of light yours across the rest that was said was fairly circumstantial but it talked about time speed on diffrent stages if anyone has the article they could type up the part relative to spore.

Yes that would be super if someone could type it up.

Offline Leng

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
  • !?!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2006, 11:19:07 pm »
that sounds like a pretty small galaxy..
I have been told
not by one but two of my lovers
that I've got a heart of gold
but I'm unable to share it with others
They call me a poet who'll never have a poem
a tiger with no taste for bone
I'm the wonderful wonderful wizard who's waltzing alone

Offline 7LES

• Battlezone Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2006, 11:25:28 pm »
OK it probably said thousands now that i think of it when can get that article i will print it up i think i could by Tuesday

Offline Zuka

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
  • What.. Are.. You.. LOOKING AT??!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2006, 09:43:37 am »
Hundreds of light years.. small?? What the hell are you smoking?
-!-~ Under-Construction ~-!-
For Now, Enjoy Gasping At This Amazing New Picture Of "Spore".

http://www.yourdumbz0rz.com/stfu/spore/no1/spor_editor.jpg

Offline Golgrig

• Star Castle Cadet
  • I am Will Wright's complete lack of suprise.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2006, 10:18:53 am »
a 100^3 ly chunk of space is 1000000 cubic ly the univeres is atleast at 13.7E9 wide and is somewhere on the order of 1.9 E33  cubic ly (I think) or 27 orders of magnitude larger than 100 ly

bigger than big
"6.4 Um's per minute" or "The Speed of Wright

An adventurer in the land of who gives a ****

The idea is to mix one ingredient that will burn very fast with a second ingredient that will supply enough oxygen for that burning. This burns so fast, it's an explosion.

Offline Mangerman

• Tempest Top Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2006, 10:23:46 am »
a 100^3 ly chunk of space is 1000000 cubic ly the univeres is atleast at 13.7E9 wide and is somewhere on the order of 1.9 E33  cubic ly (I think) or 27 orders of magnitude larger than 100 ly

bigger than big

Aarghh, i cant take all those numbers anymore.
But yeah, its big enough.
A multitude of rulers is not a good thing. Let there be one ruler, one king.

Offline Wahh

• Defender Devotee
  • Dubbed Sigmund Wahh as well as El Cerebro Sucio
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2006, 10:37:37 am »
I'm not interested in the literal size of the galaxy but, rather, the amount of solar systems in it.  If you only get 100 or 1,000 suns to visit, a few years of exploring would reveal them all.  If, however, you could have as many as 100,000 or even 1 million solar systems, then your options are nearly infinite.  And, of course, if new planets could be generated as you go, the options are only limited by the size of your computer.

This guy's songs are freaking awesome! Just look at that earbean picture as my avatar!
www.songstowearpantsto.com

Offline 762

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2006, 10:48:20 am »

That is very small as far as galaxies go. Our nearest star is 4 light years away, so a galaxy that is hundreds of light years across would only be about 249 stars (that's 999/4). Our galaxy has billions of stars, so it has to be trillions of light years across. Or something. I don't know, I'm not an astrophysicist.

Spore countdowns: USA Europe

Offline OmniOck

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2006, 11:26:35 am »
I am very confused
-----

Common sense makes no sense as it is not commonly used!
( And thanks Alex for the sig!)

Offline Henry

• Video Pinball Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2006, 12:57:44 pm »

That is very small as far as galaxies go. Our nearest star is 4 light years away, so a galaxy that is hundreds of light years across would only be about 249 stars (that's 999/4). Our galaxy has billions of stars, so it has to be trillions of light years across. Or something. I don't know, I'm not an astrophysicist.

The Milky way galaxy has a diameter of 100,000 lightyears.

Offline Zuka

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
  • What.. Are.. You.. LOOKING AT??!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2006, 01:24:55 pm »
Just because the closest is 4 light years away doen't mean every single one of them is exactly 4 lys apart. And hundreds of light years is still huge. And trillions of light years? Wtf? The farthest galaxy that can be seen wth Hubble is only 200 million lys away..

Golgrig:

Just my 2 cents, I believe in an endless, infinite galaxy. Just speaking for myself, though.
-!-~ Under-Construction ~-!-
For Now, Enjoy Gasping At This Amazing New Picture Of "Spore".

http://www.yourdumbz0rz.com/stfu/spore/no1/spor_editor.jpg

Offline Borogove

• Venture Conqueror
  • mimsy: adj. - flimsy and miserable :(
    • View Profile
    • Meyermike.com
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2006, 01:27:01 pm »
Just my 2 cents, I believe in an endless, infinite galaxy. Just speaking for myself, though.

I think you have galaxy and universe confused...
Use those talents you have. You will make it. You will give joy to the world. Take this tip from nature: The woods would be a very silent place if no birds sang except those who sang best.
-- Bernard Meltzer

Check out my games:  http://www.meyermike.com

Offline Vib Rib

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
  • Multiple Horrible People
    • View Profile
    • RagTag
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2006, 01:40:07 pm »
Yeah. That's actually tiny. As they said, our galaxy's about 100,000 LY across.

And it's a basically accepted cosmological principal that the universe IS infinite in size.
I'm ruler of this moon, boy.
So if you move, I shoots.

Offline huggkruka

• Space Ace
  • Totally powers
    • View Profile
    • My Digitalart.org profile
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2006, 02:08:13 pm »
A 100 LY galaxy... cute!

Offline SimEarth Freak

• Fishing Derby Champion
  • Trichordates are now sentient
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2006, 02:14:00 pm »
And it's a basically accepted cosmological principal that the universe IS infinite in size.

Actually no it's not.  The size of the universe is dependent upon its age and the speed at which galaxies are moving away from each other.  So for instance, if galaxies move at the speed of light, and the universe it 15 billion years old, then the universe is 30 billion light years in diameter.

Offline 762

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2006, 03:00:06 pm »

The Milky way galaxy has a diameter of 100,000 lightyears.

Yeah, like I said, I don't know how many light years there are. I was just guestimating, using 4 light years as an average distance without any real fact or basis for the conviction. Anyway, my point still stands! Kind of.

And Zuka, I was just making a point. You seemed a tad abrasive.

Spore countdowns: USA Europe

Offline Henry

• Video Pinball Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2006, 04:01:47 am »
Hah, nice signature SimEarth. Spore = Life :D

Anyways if you guys wanna dive further into this, you should look into string theory.

Offline Jaleho

• Stargate Superstar
  • The Infamous El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Inflatable Studios
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2006, 05:49:11 am »
Here's part of the article I found:

Wright's latest video-game project was code-named SimsEverything when it was in development. He describes the concept as follows: "What's a simple simulation that would describe all of life as we know it?" In the new game, a player starts with a universe of gasses --say, methane, carbone monoxide, hydrogren, nitrogen. As you play, you begin to induce chain reactions: stars are born, planets cool and spawn unicellular creatures, which in turn become multicellular. Nonsentient beings become sentient. Primitive tribal communications become societies.

For Wright, creating a generative system was one of the primary challenges of building the game, which is to be released later this year as Spore.

Dear god, someone find a copy of this magazine...

Offline DoggySpew

• Scramble Skipper
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2006, 09:00:59 am »
Nice thing I noticed in the interview ( http://www.snootyspore.com/site/smartbomb.php ) was de landscaping ability for the galaxy. So, creating black holes, supernova's and the sorts would be nice. Maybe you can create a binary stellar system, with one star rotating around a bigger star, with planet's in between.

http://www.spore.com/view/profile/DoggySpew

7 Gold, 5 Silver, 4 Bronze on the Olympics.

Offline Golgrig

• Star Castle Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2006, 08:31:40 pm »
Just because the closest is 4 light years away doen't mean every single one of them is exactly 4 lys apart. And hundreds of light years is still huge. And trillions of light years? Wtf? The farthest galaxy that can be seen wth Hubble is only 200 million lys away..

Golgrig: Just my 2 cents, I believe in an endless, infinite galaxy. Just speaking for myself, though.
the Trillions part comes from the cubic volumn of a sphere 3.7E9 Ly wide and 13.7 billion years old, "told ya space was huge" and not even a quarter of it is viewable yet!  ;D

the Hubble Bubble is some were around "In practice we can only observe objects as far as the surface of last scattering 300,000 years after the big bang when the universe had cooled sufficiently to permit electrons to bind to atomic nuclei, which brought a halt to the Compton scattering of ambient photons." 13.4 billion years ago 300 million years after the big bang this means we might observe back to 13.4x10^9 ly in each direction the limitations of normal Sub-relative speeds means you are Relatively correct the universe is Infinite but you are not if you have to worry about something only concern yourself with an area 100Ly from here and 100 years old instead of the truly massive universe we live in OK  ;D

The idea is to mix one ingredient that will burn very fast with a second ingredient that will supply enough oxygen for that burning. This burns so fast, it's an explosion.

Offline Lurker28

• Missile Commander
    • View Profile
    • Ordus inferi - Age of Conan Guild
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2006, 09:09:28 pm »
Every year the size of the universe is changed and the theory of the big bang is further analyzed, however I have taken two astronomy classes at Arizona Sate and I also kept a good eye on spacial science. The big bang theory has been going under some new changes, because it has been found that there are new areas of the universe not moving away form each other in a sphere (like a normal single explosion), however there are multiple spheres and multiple direction that the universe is expanding. Which have lead a lot of astronomers to believe that there was more than one big bang.

All in all the size of the universe is still extremely unknown, especially the size due to the fate we have no idea how many other big bangs there were and the we can't few the whole universe yet.

Offline Golgrig

• Star Castle Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2006, 09:31:54 pm »
my own personal idea is that we live on the inside? of a infinite fractal Möbius universe

it exhibits all the characteristics and may be interestingly a undefinable equation basically because it defines itself, also it is built upon itself and exists under itself, or it could be built on the back of something, or it could be a copy of WW mind or a single thoght.

so anything bigger? other than our heads  ;D

just have to wait till febuary to get new info

Offline Snooty

• Brain Games Mastermind
    • View Profile
    • Snooty Spore
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2006, 01:38:37 am »
Fansite www.sporeuniverse.net correctly pointed out on their site that this "new" interview is nothing more then a shameless copy of a part of the book "Smartbomb" which had this interview in 2003. Long before the name 'Spore' was even chosen.

Offline huggkruka

• Space Ace
  • Totally powers
    • View Profile
    • My Digitalart.org profile
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2006, 04:57:30 am »
If that article is true then it's pretty damn cool. I mean, that simulation is running at Will's comp?!? Creating a whole galaxy...*drools*. But I guess a game were you play your way all through life is pretty good too! Maybe in spore 2... *drools more*

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2006, 03:19:53 pm »
If that article is true then it's pretty damn cool. I mean, that simulation is running at Will's comp?!? Creating a whole galaxy...*drools*. But I guess a game were you play your way all through life is pretty good too! Maybe in spore 2... *drools more*

I agree, it is so cool!

Offline jafe816

• Microvision Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2006, 04:22:35 pm »
wow..just read the article...crazy stuff

Offline Golgrig

• Star Castle Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2006, 04:36:00 am »
Nice thing I noticed in the interview ( http://www.snootyspore.com/site/smartbomb.php ) was de landscaping ability for the galaxy. So, creating black holes, supernova's and the sorts would be nice. Maybe you can create a binary stellar system, with one star rotating around a bigger star, with planet's in between.

Incidently i was looking over the GDC video today and found what appears to be a binary system "two stars in close proximity to each other"
at 0:51:17 between the nebula and that huge bright star at the top right of the screen, when he moves the view they stay in extreemly close proximity.

also i kind of get the feeling that your experimentation with the galaxy can go very far "wouldnt put it past Will to put that Simeverything tool in there as an extra".