Author Topic: Battlefield 2  (Read 7600 times)

Offline Psilontech

• Mystery House Madman
  • SCIENCE!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Battlefield 2
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2005, 03:25:56 pm »
Team Killing is a HUGE problem in multiplayer... These people are really starting to p*ss me off.

Just remember, God hates TK'ers more than Fanboys.;)
"Whatever Febreeze can't fix, a gun will"

Twiggs

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2005, 04:47:23 pm »
No storyline to my knowledge.  It might be in the map description, but I don't read, I shoot, I've been playing since 10am when it hit my door.  I almost hyperventilated when installing it.  The BIGGEST problems with the game are 1. Team killing isn't punished harsh enough, 2. Death by barely moving vehicles, 3. ingame server browser sucks big time.  The game for me has some random lag spikes that I can live with until the patch comes out.  Other than that, I'm in love.

Offline Tr0n

• Dragster Diehard
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2005, 12:03:55 am »
Okay... I've been playing for a few days now and here is my take from a FPS newb's point of view.  Notice that I am new to online FPS games as a whole and I don't have the bitterness/experience that veterans do.... so, here I go:

Before I say anything about BF2, I should tell you that the game is a resource hog to end all resource hogs.  Do not plan to make use of that spiffy hyperthreading technology or listen to your favorite songs while you play... it's tough to even task out of the game.  I runs on an 800mb+ footprint and will dominate your computer while you play it.... my specs are as follows:

Asus K8V SE Motherboard
AMD AThlon 64 3200+ (clocked at 2.2ghz)
NVidia Geforce 6800GT (slightly overclocked)
1gb ghetto PNY RAM
WinXP Pro (sans SP2)

So... the game starts up fine (provide you have the absolute latest Forceware drivers) and loads in a long, but bearable time.  In game, I experience clunkiness for about one minute as the game finishes loading into RAM.  After that, and aside from the lag, the game runs smooth at the recommended settings.

Graphics: 10/10
Mind-blowing to say the least.  Some of the effects and the gritty realism of the worlds make killing your sworn enemies pure bliss.  While the gfx are not perfect, you have to understand that you'll be playing along with up to 63 other folks, and for that type of game, the graphics are amazing.

Sound: 8/10
The menu music sucks... I loved the epic sound of the BF1942 music and the wide variety of songs on BFVietnam.  No such luck here, though.  The sound in the game, expecially when you have a good pair of headphone or speakers, can really immerse you.  Top that with built in VOIP, your squadmates and commanders scream over the booming of artillery shells dropping fifteen feet away from you while your fallen comrades scream "MEDIIIC!!!" and others shout of the incoming tank on the left flank of the base.  IN all, there's a lot going on in the game and the sound reflects that.... frantic and cinematic.

GUI/Menu: 6/10
Run of the mill... and that's being nice.  It's less spiffy than BF1942 while still retaining all of the problems.  The in game server browser can be Satan incarnate if you dare to list more than a few games in the window.  But you didn't buy BF2 for the menu's did you?

Single Player: 3/10
It's there.  It's 16 player, with "smart" bots.  But it's only to get you acquainted with the game.  Once you play your first multiplayer game on a 64 player map, you will never touch SP again (until they mod it to support 64 bots).... I will also mention now that there is NO multiplayer co-op.... sentient beings only, sorry.

Multplayer: 11/10
I can't say enough... if you go into the game with no expectations, it will blow you away.  I know there are fans of Desert Combat and fans of Vietnam, but if you don't compare BF2 with mods or what not and take it as a fresh evolution of BF1942 play, then you will have a blast.  The usual downsides are all there.... jackasses with chips on their shoulders, Teurette's inflamed psycho teenagers, and what not.  To counter this, EA has built the online game around it's contraversial "ranked" servers.  Ranked servers mean that every step you take is recorded and put in your permanent file.  If you're a TeamKiller, your rating is going to blow.  If you're a genuinely good player, your ratings will soar.  While there is currently a problem with the timing of ranks posted (they take up to 24 or more hours to "post" on your profile), it's a fun aspect to truly show that you can also walk the walk. 
There are new teamplay mechanics in place as well as enhanced player roles.  Each player can join a squad, each of which is guided by a squad leader, who are all overseen by a single commander player.  This three-deep chain of command makes the little guys feel like something bigger and the bigger guys responsible for the fate of the litttle guys.  Thus, the inheirent coordination can create some adrenaline pumping moments when you and five other men rush to a capture point.
Of course, nothing says that three of those men won't be cut down like grass to a lawnmower while you assault the point.  Enhanced roles play a huge song in the chorus of things going on.  I exclusively play a medic.  I have the ability to use my uber electric paddles to bring those fallen soldier back to life.  I score a point, we don't lose a ticket, and the dynamic of the battlefield just got a whole lot less stable.
Nothing, NOTHING compares to a well-coordinated squad with each man taking on a unique role and using the VOIP to talk.  You will feel like you are one of "the guys" and your score will reflect it.   

All in all... if you can deal with the occasional moron long enough for him to be booted, then BF2 is a deadringer for destroying your social life.  It's gotten me, the sworn enemy of online games, hooked... that's gotta count for something.
Hey love crusader, I want to be your space invader
For you I will descend the deepest moon crater
I is more stronger than Darth Vapour
Obey me, I is your new dictator

Twiggs

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2005, 05:35:29 am »
True they don't officially have cooperative play, but it's there.  You start a singleplayer game then you give your freinds your IP address.  They go to Multiplayer and click the "Join IP" button, plug it in, and they load into your game.

Offline GameManic

• Dragster Diehard
  • I can't let you leave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2005, 11:59:37 am »
I got it the day it came out here and its great.  I mostly agree with Tr0n's review he put it about right.  I have to play it with the lowest graphics though becasue my card is old.

Played it on:
Pentium 4 3.2 GHz HT
1G DDR400 Dual Channel
Nvidia 5200 Ultra

Since I play with the graphics on low I hag really quick load times and I have no trouble doing an alt-tab when I want to tell my friends in messenger to join my server.  Great game I give it a 9/10.
"Listen, I mean that from my knowledge of the world that I see around me, I think that it is much more likely that the reports of flying saucers are the results of the known irrational characteristics of terrestrial intelligence than of the unknown rational efforts of extra-terrestrial intelligence."
-Richard Feynman

Offline Jonny5

• Atari Combat Vet
  • The One
    • View Profile
    • Jons Blogs
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2005, 09:00:29 am »
I got it the day it came out here and its great. I mostly agree with Tr0n's review he put it about right. I have to play it with the lowest graphics though becasue my card is old.

Ive got the same card as you, can you tell me how the graphics and framerate compare with your set up to some of the video's of the game that are available? Is there like a huge difference in quality? 
"there is no spoon"

Offline GameManic

• Dragster Diehard
  • I can't let you leave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2005, 02:26:48 pm »
I got it the day it came out here and its great. I mostly agree with Tr0n's review he put it about right. I have to play it with the lowest graphics though becasue my card is old.

Ive got the same card as you, can you tell me how the graphics and framerate compare with your set up to some of the video's of the game that are available? Is there like a huge difference in quality?

Well with most games I play with the high settings that it automatically puts in the video options.  Like Republic Commando i play with High settings.  Counter Strike I play High settings aswell also in World of Warcraft with everything turned on.  I used to have the same card on my old computer with 1.6 GHz with 512 RAM and there a huge difference in performance and speed.  With a new card I should be able to play all the new games with the highest settings.
"Listen, I mean that from my knowledge of the world that I see around me, I think that it is much more likely that the reports of flying saucers are the results of the known irrational characteristics of terrestrial intelligence than of the unknown rational efforts of extra-terrestrial intelligence."
-Richard Feynman

Offline PineappleTheHun

• Mystery House Madman
  • Explodablicious!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2005, 08:31:05 pm »
So, how does the weapon unlockage work, like how long does it take to unlock weapons, is there a system so you can only unlock a few at a time; etc. ?
Quote from: Borogove
I try to think of what mother nature would have done if she suffered major brain damage.
Quote from: Gaming Steve
You are wrong.
Quote from: Legodragonxp
Starship Troopers 2 had only two things worth seeing, but she died early on

Offline GameManic

• Dragster Diehard
  • I can't let you leave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2005, 08:35:00 pm »
I got to the 3rd rank after two days of playing and it allowed me to unlock one of the weapons from the seven classes.  Now its been a week and I haven't gotten to the next rank or any other weapon unlocks.
-Richard Feynman

Offline NeonDevil

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
    • Nova Divine
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2005, 09:20:45 am »
I don't really mean to bash the door in with guns blazing for recruitment, but I figure "what the heck".

We're a 5 year-old multi-gaming clan. We are experienced, but are relatively new to the Battlefield series. We're recruiting people to join and start a BF2 branch.

This branch is for those who see themselves as a comptetitive or serious Battlefield 2 player and wants to get more use out of the extra communication and teamwork tools that BF2 utilizes and wants the support of a clan that uses successful methods to complete in-game objectives that are accomplished through skill, strategy, and tactics.

You can check out or Battlefield 2 Branch documentation or visit our website at www.novadivine.com

Not sure how many of the Gaming Steve crew is interested in FPS's, but I tend to like all genres of gaming (except the Myst'ish games). Which is why I like the NvD, when I stop playing one game, there's another down the line that the clan is interested in - so I'm not constantly looking for a clan for every game I play.

When the time comes, I plan on leading some sort of Spore and Black and/or White 2 branch for the clan as well (if we have enough members to support it).
ConfQuest? Nah, I'd rather do Amtgard instead.

Offline Deep Lee

• Omega Racer
  • Don't quote pictures. Use words to describe them.
    • View Profile
    • DeepLee.com
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2005, 11:14:16 pm »
what all vehicles did they put in? I really want to get this, it doesn't cost $$ to play online, right?

Twiggs