Author Topic: Battlefield 2  (Read 7604 times)

Offline voodoo

• Brain Games Mastermind
    • View Profile
Battlefield 2
« on: April 01, 2005, 05:02:53 pm »
I don't know if anyone is as excited for this game as I am, but IGN just released some new screenshots, including some of the player models. They are looking amazing! Check them out here:

http://media.pc.ign.com/media/677/677882/imgs_1.html

For those of you that don't know, Battlefield 2 is a modern-era successor to Battlefield 1942 and Battlefield: Vietnam. They are both multiplayer-based war games that support up to 64 people per server, so you can have battles of nearly epic proportions. In this game you can fight for either the Chinese, the U.S., or the Middle East (they're known as the MEC, or Middle Eastern Coalition here, and naturally, they've been made more like a terrorist cell). The game seems pretty similar to BF1942 and BF: Vietnam (personally the latter was a dissapointment; it was not much different than BF1942. It was more like a mod more than anything else.) but should hopefully improve in the poorer aspects of each previous game. The environment is supposed to be completely destructable, so you'll be able to demolish bridges to cut off infantry routes or maybe even destroy buildings where troops are garrissoned. This should add an very interesting tactical aspect to the game. Now you'll actually be able to see the environment "evolve" as the battles rage on.

Maps will adjust in size according to the amount of players on a server. If you've ever played those massive maps in the previous two Battlefields, this will be a great addition. I myself have hated playing on small servers and having to take a 5 minute trip to the battle after dying. This isn't a massive update, but it's useful nonetheless.
A huge military chain-of-command/player reward system is being implemented. In the previous Battlefields, there wasn't much incentive to be a medic or an engineer. You weren't rewarded for repairing an ally's vehicle or healing a wounded ally. Now, you actually get points for such accomplishments, just as an assault infantry would get points for killing an enemy. These points will eventually accumulate and begin determining your position in a military chain-of-command. There will be an organized hierarchy now, in which there are your basic "grunt" infantry commanded by squad leaders, which are in turn commanded by sergeants and so on. There will also be a commander at the top of the chain. The commander can switch between first person view or an overhead satellite type of view. From there he can coordinate attacks, air strikes, supply drops, and so on. If people are cooperative enough, this sounds like it will GREATLY enhance the feeling of working as a team and as an effective squad. In previous Battlefields, there was a lack of coordination between teammates and, on most servers, people went off as lone wolves and fought by themselves. This new system should encourage teamplay.

Speaking of commanding supply drops, all health and ammo boxes are being removed. Instead, you have to rely on commanders ordering supply drops to get you what you need. This should add yet another interesting tactical aspect. I'm not sure if the enemy will be able to use your team's supply boxes (I wouldn't be surprised if they could), but if they can, then you'll need to guard those supplies the best you can.

Finally, there's another very cool addition: Battlefield TV. Essentially, your game is recorded and you can play it back from any perspective, be it yourself, an enemy soldier, or just as a bystander. You can then edit the recordings to make your battles seem like epic war films. It will be interesting to see what people can come up with using this tool. Maybe we'll see some new sort of Red vs Blue ripoff.

Beyond these major changes are the usual updates you'd see in a sequel. New guns, player models, maps, vehicles, and whatever else they generally include. There's supposed to be a slew of new vehicles, such as fighter jets, modern-era helicopters, and more tanks. The maps I believe are located in urban desert as well as lush jungle environments. And, as mentioned previously, they're all destructible.

Battlefield 2 is due out by May. It's being published by Electronic Arts and developed by DICE.

At this point, I can't remember anything else. Hopefully this will satisfy any craving for information on this excellent looking game.

Offline Zealousy

• Wizard of Wor
    • View Profile
Re: Battlefield 2
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2005, 05:47:03 pm »
I'm looking forward to this game as well. The more I hear about it the more I like it. ;D
I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather ... Not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car.
- Will Shriner

Offline GamePolitics

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
    • GamePolitics.com
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2005, 06:55:15 pm »
I was a huge fan of BF1942, BF Vietnam, as well as several mods.

So.... I cannot wait for BF2. Looks amazing. I love the voice options for squad control...
www.GamePolitics.com   

....where Politics & Video Games Collide

Offline syphonbyte

• Moon Patroller
  • You know what the payment is...
    • View Profile
    • The Village of Fools
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2005, 10:28:12 am »
I personally can't wait to cap more commies. Good thing this is coming out (presumably) before Spore or I'd have a bit of a mess on my hands, trying to create a species and stop the evil terrorists all at the same time. (Who else thinks combining the two would make a seriously awesome game?)

Offline Lord Janos

• Wizardry Whiz
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2005, 10:44:55 am »
I loved 1942 until my game stopped working properly, but it was awesome.  What are the estimated specs for it?   I would love to get this game.  Want a good game, people?  I believe this one will be one.

Offline voodoo

• Brain Games Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2005, 04:53:38 pm »
I don't know any specific estimate specs, but from what I've heard, it will take a considerably powerful computer to run it. This was because it ran only fairly well on a powerful computer when they demoed. But, then again, I've also heard that this was just because the game was in its earlier stages and its code wasn't full optimized.

Still, I think it will take a pretty powerful computer to run it on the medium/upper end settings, but I think they'll try to make it so that lower end computers will still be able to run it as well.

Twiggs

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2005, 12:12:50 pm »
It comes out next month!  YAY!

The specs are...

Minimum requirements:
1.7 GHz CPU
512mb RAM
1.4 shader model videocard being ATI Radeon 8500 or above
NVIDIA Geforce FX or above (Geforce 4 series will not work).

Recommended requirements:
2.5 GHz CPU
1 Gigabyte of RAM
Radeon X800 or higher
Geforce 6800 or higher

EDIT:  BF2 has gone gold.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2005, 04:18:24 pm by Twiggs »

Offline Zealousy

• Wizard of Wor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2005, 09:31:01 pm »
Has anyone been playing the demo of this game? I've been playing almost nonstop, schedule permitting, this whole week. It's a lot of fun so far. My copy has shipped, and I'm thinking of uninstalling the demo so I don't overplay it. Has anyone else checked it out?
I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather ... Not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car.
- Will Shriner

Offline Danzik

• Gyruss Gyrusian
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2005, 10:34:20 pm »
Ya, I've played about 16 hrs of it.  I mean, 16hrs of the same map.  That alone should tell you how good the game is.
Most of the time though, I just fly a helo and shuttle people back and forth to different places.  It's great dodging enemy fire and unloading people in hot LZs.  I think im going to go play it now.

Offline zaphod

• Akalabeth Addict
  • Didn't yah hear, I come in 6 packs.
    • View Profile
    • Me and my wifes little blog
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2005, 05:33:09 am »
Would like to play it, but there are other games that need to be played.

Offline Lord Janos

• Wizardry Whiz
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2005, 10:33:01 am »
Been playing the demo for ages, but for some reason my excitement has worn down significantly.  It's great... but i don't want to spend 30 on it.  I cancelled my pre-order... i just don't want it, no particular reason.  Maybe i'm starting to be cagey with my money after throwing so much of it away recently.

Offline Zealousy

• Wizard of Wor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2005, 12:31:02 pm »
Yeah I know the feeling Janos. The exact same thing happened to me when Joint Ops came out, and I played the demo to death. Then my order arrived and I uninstalled it within a week of intermittent play. Of course, I though Joint Ops would play more like this game (which is surprisingly realistic by comparison)... so I should have known before-hand. :P

I do hope the final version makes a couple changes, though. One thing I'd like to see is a buddy list, as I've met some really cool players in games, and then I never see them again. Also, when people get team-switched, I wish the server would switch people who aren't in teams first; it's so lame to be pulled to the other side once I find a great squad. Oh, yeah, and waiting for the main menu to show up should definitely go. ::) Anything that bugs anyone else; or is there anything that people hope they don't change?
- Will Shriner

Offline Tr0n

• Dragster Diehard
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2005, 12:39:18 pm »
The core gameplay is great.  I've read a few review, however, and there is still no buddy list and the load times take ages.  However, I still think I'll buy it and a headset to see if I can hunt down a few co-workers to play along with me.  I'm not that good, as I didn't play much of BF1942 outside the LAN, so I'm concerned that I'll be out-classed from the start.  Ah well.  I'm sure there will be mods galore for this one (regarding funcitonal things like putting in a buddy system or a better single player mode).  But going back to my original sentence, the game is great once you actually find a game with good people on it (not a bunch of team killers that sit on the aircraft carrier and take out their own choppers with gatling guns and missiles).  I'm looking forward to finding some new friends and to the inevitable "holy crap!" moments that are sure to happen.
Hey love crusader, I want to be your space invader
For you I will descend the deepest moon crater
I is more stronger than Darth Vapour
Obey me, I is your new dictator

Offline syphonbyte

• Moon Patroller
  • You know what the payment is...
    • View Profile
    • The Village of Fools
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2005, 01:59:40 pm »
I saw a holy crap mod recently, I can't remember where, which was a really cool conversion of the game into a futuristic post-apocalyptic survival game. You get to DRIVE CARS in it!

Offline NoobZoRz

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2005, 02:59:55 pm »
I'm just glad they tried something new by adding the Chinese. Does anyone have any info regarding the storyline? (I know its not important, but I gobble this stuff up  ;) )
Matthew 12:25 <br /> -Jesus knew their thoughts and said to them, "Every kingdom divided against itself will be ruined, and every city or household divided against itself will not stand."