Author Topic: Image Archives  (Read 694999 times)

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
Re: Image Archives
« Reply #225 on: November 28, 2005, 02:12:30 pm »
probably an illusion since you are looking down from a higher altitude at the techno city than from the more organic city. also, the techno city is ALOT bigger than the other one.

This makes me think, what if the city you are following gets destroyed? the species is still around so the game wouldn't end, so would you switch to a different city/culture elsewhere on the planet?

Offline Atari Man

• Brain Games Mastermind
  • >[insert catchy phrase here]<
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: November 28, 2005, 04:19:37 pm »
I think the point is that you must become the dominate species then the the dominant race of that species, I assume you would lose if your city is destroyed. Doesnt make alot of sense to switch cities when you die, then there would never be a feeling of defeat in the background. You can't have a game where you never lose.

Offline 762

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: November 28, 2005, 04:57:59 pm »
Also again, we only have to wait 1 year to play it

Then the Spanish were WRONG!

Spore countdowns: USA Europe

Offline Borogove

• Venture Conqueror
  • mimsy: adj. - flimsy and miserable :(
    • View Profile
    • Meyermike.com
« Reply #228 on: November 28, 2005, 05:47:46 pm »
You can't have a game where you never lose.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2005, 09:07:48 pm by Borogove »
Use those talents you have. You will make it. You will give joy to the world. Take this tip from nature: The woods would be a very silent place if no birds sang except those who sang best.
-- Bernard Meltzer

Check out my games:  http://www.meyermike.com

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
  • tastes just like chicken
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
« Reply #229 on: November 28, 2005, 05:49:03 pm »
You might have to find different pictures :-\

Offline Vivec

• Gauntlet Wizard
  • The truth has vanished into darkness...
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: November 28, 2005, 08:32:17 pm »
You might have to find different pictures :-\

Yes they all seem to say "Moby Games" except two, and one of them isn't loading.
Vivec, you're the best forum member ever.

Offline Borogove

• Venture Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Meyermike.com
« Reply #231 on: November 28, 2005, 09:01:31 pm »
Doh!

They were are all working for me...
All better now?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2005, 09:08:14 pm by Borogove »
Use those talents you have. You will make it. You will give joy to the world. Take this tip from nature: The woods would be a very silent place if no birds sang except those who sang best.
-- Bernard Meltzer

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: November 28, 2005, 09:12:05 pm »
yea they work now.

although in SimEarth, the lifetime of the planet is finite, but theres alot of time. but thats just the way the game works.

Offline Leng

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
  • !?!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: November 28, 2005, 09:16:48 pm »
yeah, but those are all games where you can get stuck and never reach your peak.  in sim sity you could rule incompetantly and have a crime-ridden slum.  in Planescape, there was a point in the lower/clerk's ward section where you had a lot of side-quests that were actually part of the main quest.  if you don't have an exploratory kind of mind you won't be able to get through it except by trial and error.
I have been told
not by one but two of my lovers
that I've got a heart of gold
but I'm unable to share it with others
They call me a poet who'll never have a poem
a tiger with no taste for bone
I'm the wonderful wonderful wizard who's waltzing alone

Offline Borogove

• Venture Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Meyermike.com
« Reply #234 on: November 28, 2005, 11:32:44 pm »
*shrugs*
Certainly there are situation that the player will consider failure even in games in which there is no clear "losing".  I just meant to point out that some great games where you couldn't really lose or die(though I guess technicaly sims can die, this was very rare unless its what you were trying to do).

I interpreted "losing" to mean the game ends.  And I really hope that Spore does not have a losing state in that sense.  I expect the "losing" states wil be more like "dang. I got eaten again.  Here we go with a newly hatched critter, I better evolve something for defense next time." or "crap! these stupid hostile aliens don't want to trade!"  or "ugh I STILL can't afford the genesis device". 

One thing I do hope gets addressed is the problem of negative feedback in games of this sort.  Where having a dodo bird creature might make it very hard to earn points to evolve into something better, or as i lose members to an opposing tribe, I also lose my ability to recover from it.  This is the main reason I quickly lose interest in the usual strategy or tycoon-type game.  I like to play around while playing a game.  So when I do something dumb (intentionally or otherwise) I find it nice to have not totaly screwed up my chances for eventual success.  Something like Prince of Persia's rewind feature would be kickass.  Or in this case it might be an evolution/civilization chart that you could move back down through.  Like if I don't like how my culture is turning out I could go back to early tribal and try something different.
-- Bernard Meltzer

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #235 on: November 28, 2005, 11:45:01 pm »
*shrugs*
Certainly there are situation that the player will consider failure even in games in which there is no clear "losing".  I just meant to point out that some great games where you couldn't really lose or die(though I guess technicaly sims can die, this was very rare unless its what you were trying to do).

I interpreted "losing" to mean the game ends.  And I really hope that Spore does not have a losing state in that sense.  I expect the "losing" states wil be more like "dang. I got eaten again.  Here we go with a newly hatched critter, I better evolve something for defense next time." or "crap! these stupid hostile aliens don't want to trade!"  or "ugh I STILL can't afford the genesis device". 

One thing I do hope gets addressed is the problem of negative feedback in games of this sort.  Where having a dodo bird creature might make it very hard to earn points to evolve into something better, or as i lose members to an opposing tribe, I also lose my ability to recover from it.  This is the main reason I quickly lose interest in the usual strategy or tycoon-type game.  I like to play around while playing a game.  So when I do something dumb (intentionally or otherwise) I find it nice to have not totaly screwed up my chances for eventual success.  Something like Prince of Persia's rewind feature would be kickass.  Or in this case it might be an evolution/civilization chart that you could move back down through.  Like if I don't like how my culture is turning out I could go back to early tribal and try something different.

That would be cool to go back in time and redo stuff. Think about it where say if you took Earth's evolutionary hisory and did that. Where say you chose to be an amphibian comming out on land. In one time you played you went to reptiles to dinosaurs and then to birds and then to bird people (its not on earht but you get the idea). But then played again going back to that same amphinan and went to another type of reptiles to reptile-like mammal  to mammals and then to humans. Both sharing the same common ancestor.

Or better yet you get to see that same creature you just made before evolve alogn side you making the same choices you just made when playing before. Thus having birds and mammals living side by side both created by you but evolving them both seperatly.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2005, 11:47:29 pm by Hydromancerx »

Offline MorgothTheEnemy

• Revenging Yar
  • I will find the ring...and eat it FOR THE EMPEROR!
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: November 29, 2005, 04:07:23 am »
*shrugs*
Certainly there are situation that the player will consider failure even in games in which there is no clear "losing". I just meant to point out that some great games where you couldn't really lose or die(though I guess technicaly sims can die, this was very rare unless its what you were trying to do).

I interpreted "losing" to mean the game ends. And I really hope that Spore does not have a losing state in that sense. I expect the "losing" states wil be more like "dang. I got eaten again. Here we go with a newly hatched critter, I better evolve something for defense next time." or "crap! these stupid hostile aliens don't want to trade!" or "ugh I STILL can't afford the genesis device".

One thing I do hope gets addressed is the problem of negative feedback in games of this sort. Where having a dodo bird creature might make it very hard to earn points to evolve into something better, or as i lose members to an opposing tribe, I also lose my ability to recover from it. This is the main reason I quickly lose interest in the usual strategy or tycoon-type game. I like to play around while playing a game. So when I do something dumb (intentionally or otherwise) I find it nice to have not totaly screwed up my chances for eventual success. Something like Prince of Persia's rewind feature would be kickass. Or in this case it might be an evolution/civilization chart that you could move back down through. Like if I don't like how my culture is turning out I could go back to early tribal and try something different.

Well i hope the game is very challenging because i dont want to beat it too fast and get to the boring loose meta game afterwards. I hope the game is a bit more complex in the civ+ phases than what Will showed.
Ash Nazg Durbatuluk,
Ash Nazg Gimbatul,
Ash Nazg Thrakatuluk,
Ag Burzum-Ishi Krimpatul!!!

"Then his neighbors looked good, so I gobbled them up too."
                                                                             -762
http://redwing.hutman.net/~mreed/index.htm

Offline huggkruka

• Space Ace
  • Totally powers
    • View Profile
    • My Digitalart.org profile
« Reply #237 on: November 29, 2005, 04:31:37 am »
Well, you can kill all your sims if you have patience and a cruel sense of humour. :P

Offline Samog

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • objectivists are dumb
    • View Profile
    • -
« Reply #238 on: November 29, 2005, 11:03:11 am »
You couldn't lose in Diablo II.
"Fine. Don't believe me. I'm not lying. all your laziness which you mistake for something funney is driving me insane, quit fooling around!  dude this is just wrong, very wrong. reality does not consist of constrained language. go lock this thread malt. I love the payment."4MOD

Offline Moleman

• Fire Truck Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: December 04, 2005, 10:03:42 am »
You can lose in Myst if you pick the wrong book.