Author Topic: Image Archives  (Read 771870 times)

Offline stuck

• Robotron Automaton
  • Who is John Galt?
    • View Profile
Re: Image Archives
« Reply #315 on: March 30, 2006, 10:51:00 am »
One of the mouths looks like the Predator's mouth form Alien V. Predator (very right)  :) You'll see a few creatures with that one.

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: March 31, 2006, 05:45:52 am »
Look at how the mouths evolve. The bottom middle looks sorrta like how my Naucean evolved. With little tenticles that turned into limbs. Very cool!!

I read somewhere that this was how some limbs evolved, from food manipulators moving back into general manipulators.

Offline Jaleho

• Stargate Superstar
  • The Infamous El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Inflatable Studios
« Reply #317 on: March 31, 2006, 07:57:11 am »
Look at how the mouths evolve. The bottom middle looks sorrta like how my Naucean evolved. With little tenticles that turned into limbs. Very cool!!

I read somewhere that this was how some limbs evolved, from food manipulators moving back into general manipulators.

I had read that, too... but then I saw some diagrams that showed fish fins developing from a fold along the sides of their bodies... stingrays just kept enlarging that fold, while other fish split it into parts and each part became a fin.

Then I read that the same gene that creates spider legs creates insect mouthparts, so the mouthpart theory makes sense (a swimming arthropod just wiggles its body to move, but needs parts to catch food.

So I think they're both right, and different lines got legs in different ways. The nauceans seem to have utilized both methods, evolving manipulative mouth parts AND locomotive limbs.

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: March 31, 2006, 08:07:10 am »
What's the word for when a particular feature develops independently in two seperate populations? I forgot, and now it's going to bug me all day.

Offline Jaleho

• Stargate Superstar
  • The Infamous El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Inflatable Studios
« Reply #319 on: March 31, 2006, 08:42:02 am »
What's the word for when a particular feature develops independently in two seperate populations? I forgot, and now it's going to bug me all day.

Convergent evolution, maybe?

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: March 31, 2006, 08:56:07 am »

yes, it is convergent evolution, one example would be the tasmanian wolf and the typical wolf, they evolved for the same ecological niche but are totally different, there are more examples but I can't think of any right now.

Offline AnotherMike

• Galaxian Guru
  • Vacuums don't much like Nature either . . .
    • View Profile
    • A. Mike's Creature Gallery
« Reply #321 on: March 31, 2006, 09:59:10 am »

yes, it is convergent evolution, one example would be the tasmanian wolf and the typical wolf, they evolved for the same ecological niche but are totally different, there are more examples but I can't think of any right now.

I think he was going more for convergent trait evolution - like bat wings, bird wings, and insect wings. Same purpose, different styles.
I have a gallery on hydro's site:

or go straight to mine at:
http://spore-planet.rpgs.sytes.net/Gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=2409

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: March 31, 2006, 10:49:07 am »
I think he was going more for convergent trait evolution - like bat wings, bird wings, and insect wings. Same purpose, different styles.

That's it, I swear there's a word for it and it's driving me crazy. Please tell me there isn't a word.

Offline Jaleho

• Stargate Superstar
  • The Infamous El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Inflatable Studios
« Reply #323 on: March 31, 2006, 11:42:45 am »
I swear there's a word for it and it's driving me crazy. Please tell me there isn't a word.

Lesse, under convergent evolution at wikipedia there is this:

Structures that are the result of convergent evolution are called analogous structures or homoplasies; they should be contrasted with homologous structures, which have a common origin.

Is that it?

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: March 31, 2006, 11:51:54 am »
It's good enough. I can stop worrying now.

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: March 31, 2006, 11:53:43 am »
I swear there's a word for it and it's driving me crazy. Please tell me there isn't a word.

Lesse, under convergent evolution at wikipedia there is this:

Structures that are the result of convergent evolution are called analogous structures or homoplasies; they should be contrasted with homologous structures, which have a common origin.

Is that it?
yea, thats probably it, describing a structure that evolved for the same function in two unrelated groups, the development of wings is one, but there are better examples, such as the Jerboa in African deserts and the Kangaroo rat in north american deserts, they are unrelated animals (not to mention different continents) but have evolved the same adaptations.

edit: I think I have the names switched around, but I'll check
« Last Edit: March 31, 2006, 11:55:41 am by smjjames »

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: March 31, 2006, 11:54:59 am »
You see that sort of thing al over the place - limbs, eyes, digestive systems, rigidity through fluids, etc.

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: March 31, 2006, 12:00:08 pm »
yea, but some examples are better known than others. Put simply, if an adaptation for a group proves to be very successful or efficient or otherwise, chances are that other unrelated groups will develop the same because they went for the best adaptation. and I found about the Jerboas http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerboa and Kangaroo Rats http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kangaroo_rat

Offline MorgothTheEnemy

• Revenging Yar
  • I will find the ring...and eat it FOR THE EMPEROR!
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: March 31, 2006, 02:49:50 pm »
o    m      g Ive missed so much. must    look       at      every      topic...............
Ash Nazg Durbatuluk,
Ash Nazg Gimbatul,
Ash Nazg Thrakatuluk,
Ag Burzum-Ishi Krimpatul!!!

"Then his neighbors looked good, so I gobbled them up too."
                                                                             -762
http://redwing.hutman.net/~mreed/index.htm

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #329 on: March 31, 2006, 06:04:13 pm »
Here are 4 from the GDC Prototyping Presentation Powerpoint Slides.