Author Topic: Your favorite episode  (Read 5475 times)

Offline DMB

• Venture Conqueror
  • Braaiiiiinnnsss and cake!
    • View Profile
    • BobtheZombie's Blog
Your favorite episode
« on: January 18, 2006, 06:29:56 pm »
What was your favorite episode of any show you ever watched?
For me, it is to be determined. I kinda like some Robot Chicken episodes but there might be better.......

Save Ferris. Save the World.
"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most."Bob's Blog

Offline 762

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
Re: Your favorite episode
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2006, 06:56:52 pm »
I liked the "Screwed the Pooch" episode of family guy, the one with Bill Gates.

Also, I like the alternate fuel episode of Dukes of Hazzard, the one where Uncle Jesse enters a bottle of moonshine to run an engine. I like it because it really suprised me that they said Arabs (AY-rabs), but then I remembered that it was made in the 1980's ;D

I'll probably think of some more of my favorite episodes later.

Spore countdowns: USA Europe

Offline pfellah

• Contributor
  • Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2006, 07:17:07 pm »
If double episodes count, nothing will ever top "Best of Both Worlds" I and II from Star Trek: Next Generation.

Offline T-BirD

• Battlezone Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2006, 12:28:10 am »
The first episode that springs to mind for me is from Star Trek: Deep Space 9, season 6.

Far Beyond The Stars
Sisko finds himself in a strange dreamworld where he becomes a troubled writer in a 1930s pulp sci-fi magazine publisher. As he struggles against the racist pressures of the era, he writes his best ever story about a captain in charge of a space station far from Earth.

Second place would be from season 4:

The Visitor
Jake Sisko as an old man recieves a visit from a young woman who hopes to become a writer and he tells her the story of how his father disappeared and of his quest to find him again. During a mission to examine a shift in the wormhole, Captain Sisko is apparently killed by a plasma leak from the warp core of the defiant in front of his son's eyes. Jake takes it very badly and hangs around on the station. One night his father appears in his room and stays for only a moment or two. No one can find a trace of his visit and no further progress can be made; a year or so later he reappears and stays for longer during which time he is examined by Dax, Bashir and Worf. When he disappears again, Jake finally gets on with his own life back on Earth. When his father reappears yet again he starts on a search to understand where his father is and on how to bring him back. He reveals that his is dying but that he has finally found a way to bring his father back, but at a terrible price.

...odd that my 2 favorite DS9 episodes are incredibly non-conventional for the series.

Babylon 5 had alot of great episodes as well, but I don't think I can pick just one.  There was also the X-Files spoof on Crusader.  ...and about half of all Firefly episodes were really sweet, but I'd still hold those 2 DS9 episodes above all else.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2006, 08:21:33 am »
A lot of the early-ish Simpsons were absolute gems (seasons 3 onwards, I cant put my finger on when they started going downhill)
Notably excellent episodes being Mr Plow (So long superman!) and the one where sideshow Bob runs for mayor (I like the human touch). Lets not forget the Stonecutters :D (dont bother calling 911 any more, heres the real number: "912")
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Vivec

• Gauntlet Wizard
  • The truth has vanished into darkness...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2006, 03:38:52 pm »
My favorite episode of Family Guy is the Willy Wonka factory one.

Priceless.
Vivec, you're the best forum member ever.

Offline Leng

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
  • !?!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2006, 10:37:11 pm »
re: t-bird

i liked the one with sisko in the 30's too.  they seemed to be focussing on aboriginal "dreamtime" lore, where the dreamworld was considered more real than the waking world.

oh, and when you say "the X-files spoof on crusader", do you mean the one where the guy is writing the novel, and there's all this stuff about the different stories from an abduction, and how it's all just a cover for government mind control experiments, only all of this is somehow done comedically?  and at the end the novel has the cover with the alien smoking the cigarette?  that one would definitely be my favorite x-files, even if it's not the one you were thinking of.

my favorite all time episode though would be The Real Folk Blues... and if you don't know what series that's from then you're a

anyway, it was the perfect finale.. silly me i had to see the last episode just to know what the series was about.
I have been told
not by one but two of my lovers
that I've got a heart of gold
but I'm unable to share it with others
They call me a poet who'll never have a poem
a tiger with no taste for bone
I'm the wonderful wonderful wizard who's waltzing alone

Offline T-BirD

• Battlezone Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2006, 01:03:39 am »
Leng - You misunderstood me.  There's a show called Crusader - it was the follow-up to Babylon 5 and picked up almost immediately after the last B5 movie, and deals with a ship sent on a 5 year mission to find a cure to the Dra'ak (sp?) plague.  It lasted one season.  The intro song was horrific.  The acting (in the early episodes) could charitably be described as "poor", and it has some major logical fallacies (you're racing to save everyone on earth, but you're willing to take a multi-day detour so someone can pay their respects to a long-dead friend????) - but by the end of that season, J.M. Straczynski really managed to pull it together and it had become a pretty good show.  Too bad the last 3 episodes never aired.  One of those was two aliens (who bear a striking resemblance to Mulder & Scully) being rescued by the ship.  Little does the crew expect that humans are the "alien influences pulling the strings on their world".  I found it to be a very funny episode.

Additionally, the British sitcom "Father Ted" (which really takes Catholicism to town in hilarious fashion) has some really great episodes - many of my favorites are in season 3, such as "Are You Right There, Father Ted?", "Speed 3", and "Kicking Bishop Brennan Up the Arse".

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2006, 12:23:52 pm »
On the subject of British sitcoms Blackadder is absolute gold dust. My personal favorites being:

From The Black Adder: "The Witchsmeller Pursuivant"
From Blackadder the second: "Money" (with "beer" a close second)
From Blackadder the third: "Sense and Senelity" (the source of my sig)
From Blackadder goes forth: "Private Plane"

For those that dont know what Blackadder is: http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/blackadder/

No American sitcom can surpass it! Thats right, you heard me!
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Leng

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
  • !?!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2006, 09:50:16 pm »
right, well i still think the one i was talking about was the best x-files episode.  it was the least serious episode, and so naturally the most thought provoking.

oh, and for the squares, The Real Folk Blues is from Cowboy Bebop.  just watch it.
I have been told
not by one but two of my lovers
that I've got a heart of gold
but I'm unable to share it with others
They call me a poet who'll never have a poem
a tiger with no taste for bone
I'm the wonderful wonderful wizard who's waltzing alone

Offline Mr. Wizard

• Karate Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2006, 08:47:02 pm »
My favorite episode is  the KILL BUNNY from Robot Chicken. I like parodies in general, but that was perfectly mirroring the movie in almost every way.

Offline Gaming Steve

• Master Chief
  • Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Steve
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2006, 11:10:46 am »
As someone who watches about 3000 hours of TV a year (I really really really love TV) there are too many to list. However, I would have to agree with T-BirD on those episodes that he listed.

Far Beyond The Stars from DS9 was an amazing episode on so many levels. Also great were Yesterday's Enterprise (when this first aired I was totally blown away), All Good Things... (I love how complex these two episodes are and I can't think of a better way to end the series), and Time's Arrow (amazing acting and a fun story).

However, of all the TV shows and of all the countless episodes I have seen nothing comes close to The Visitor from DS: 9. This episode is so powerful, so well acted, so well written, and so emotional that I don't even think it's fair to compare this episode to pretty much any show. And the best part about this story is it so dependent upon the human element that the Sci-Fi aspect is pretty much an afterthought, so that anybody can enjoy this story. This is what I love about good Sci-Fi, the ability to explore humanity and emotions using science to explore these aspects that you can't normally explore.

It was just on Spike TV today, which sort of stinks as it won't be on for a few more months, but try to record this episode or get a copy of it
Check out Gaming Steve on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/thegamingsteve

Offline DevilMachine

• Q*Bert Qrazy
  • Defender of the Universe
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2006, 11:23:20 am »
The episode of Top Gear, where they review the Bugatti. Which is the fastest car in the world. Period. Its faster than a Formula1 car! And the way that Jeremy Clarkson fell in love with it and raves on about it truley mesmerizing, I love hearing that guy talk.

Offline Cruithne

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
    • Liquorice Bomb
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2006, 03:05:52 am »
Luckily I grew up in the UK and we have the best television in the world.
Not so luckily, this means I have way too much to choose from.

Someone mentioned Blackadder, that great BBC comedy series.
In Blackadder series four, the whole thing was played out in the trenches of the first world war but was still very funny, despite the setting.They played the whole series for laughs, until the final episode when all the characters you had come to know and love were about to go over the top for  yet another pointless  gesture from the generals running the show.
Suddenly everything  became serious and all the characters knew they were almost certainly going to die.After an entire series of laughter you realised that war in no joke, and as everything goes into slow motion as they rush headlong into the machine gun fire, it's hard not to cry for all the people you have become so fond off.
It was incredible to turn everything around at that last minute, just to make a point about war.Brilliant stuff.

Another great series in the UK was Spaced, by the same guys that made the movie Sean of the dead.In the second series there is an episode where everyone plays around in pretend gunfights like a Sam Pekinpah movie, only no one has any guns, there is no blood, and it is only people pretending to be in slow motion, it's hard to accurately describe just how funny it is.

I'll probably think of a hundred others in the next five minutes.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2006, 03:08:21 am by Cruithne »

Offline T-BirD

• Battlezone Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2006, 10:37:13 am »
Spaced really scared me since you could usually hear the videogames they were playing long before you could see them....and I recognized them all, including the ones I never played!  :o  I guess that promised 3rd season is never coming, huh?

I liked Black Adder quite a bit, but never fell in love with it, unfortunately.
Black Books was also pretty funny.

I also love Fawlty Towers - there's one episode where Basil is trying to impress the clients with a gourmet dinner, only the chef passes out drunk and angry because Manuel doesn't love him, so Basil has to run back and forth to town to his former chef....and then the car breaks down...and more hilarity ensues :)