Author Topic: Episode 35 Posted  (Read 13755 times)

Offline Gaming Steve

• Master Chief
  • Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Steve
Episode 35 Posted
« on: January 18, 2006, 06:26:15 pm »
This week I review a Japanese import for the Nintendo DS and actually play it on the show. The results are, err, interesting. Also the results from the "Final Thoughts Contest" from a few weeks ago and the list of your favorite games of 2005.

Gaming Steve Episode 35 Program
  • 00:01:45  Game News:
    • BloodRayne opening declared "a debacle".
    • EA trademarks "System Shock".
    • The Tetris are coming! The Tetris are coming!
    • 25 to Life (anyone remember this game?) is released.
    • 2005 a record year for US console gaming.
    • 2005 is also a record year in the UK.
    • Meanwhile Nintendo totally owns Japan in 2005.
    • US PC sales drop 14 percent.
  • 00:21:29  GameTalk: What is the future of PC gaming?
  • 00:36:33  SporeTalk: I answer lots of questions about Spore.
  • 00:47:43  Game Review: Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan! for the Nintendo DS.
  • 00:56:30  RetroReview: System Shock 2 for the PC.
  • 01:06:10  “Name That Game!” contest winner from last week, a new clip, and a very cool prize!
  • 01:09:06  Show Mail: I answer your audio and email questions.
  • 01:46:00  Final Thoughts: Results of the "Final Thoughts Contest" from a few weeks ago, what were your best games of 2005, and getting "into the gaming zone".

Get the Podcast from this page (118 minutes): Gaming Steve Episode 35 (MP3).

Subscribe to the Podcast directly in iTunes (MP3).
Add the Gaming Steve Podcast feed to your RSS aggregator.
Vote for Gaming Steve on Podcast Alley.

To enter the "Name that Game!" contest to write me an email with the name of the game and the platform at: game AT gamingsteve.com

Check out Gaming Steve on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/thegamingsteve

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
Re: Episode 35 Posted
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2006, 06:29:02 pm »
can someone summarize or something the questions he answered as I'm hard of hearing and don't want to miss something or misunderstand something.

Offline Cobra

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2006, 09:30:26 pm »
Hurray I am a final thought winner.

Offline pablo

• Pong Paddle
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2006, 10:11:09 pm »
Did the NPD stats break out top 10 sales by each console?

If so, it would be cool to see them...

Offline Gaming Steve

• Master Chief
  • Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Steve
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2006, 10:23:24 pm »
Did the NPD stats break out top 10 sales by each console?

If so, it would be cool to see them...

I'm sure they did, but I didn't have access to that information. I'll see what I can find.

Offline Darkel

• Space Invaders Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2006, 10:38:21 pm »
Great episode.  ;D

Is there a usually a deadline for a question?

Offline LadyM

• Mortal Kombat Konqueror
  • I'm not confused anymore
    • View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2006, 03:55:10 am »
Is anyone else having trouble getting the episode off of itunes? It's not showing up in the list  ???

Offline Gaming Steve

• Master Chief
  • Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Steve
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2006, 05:19:25 am »
Is anyone else having trouble getting the episode off of itunes? It's not showing up in the list  ???

iTunes only updates its list once every 24 hours, so it's not showing up just yet. But I actually changed this for the future so that it should show up on iTunes within one hour after I publish a new podcast.

You need to listen to it LadyM, I mention you several times! ;D

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
  • tastes just like chicken
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2006, 05:28:23 am »

iTunes only updates its list once every 24 hours, so it's not showing up just yet. But I actually changed this for the future so that it should show up on iTunes within one hour after I publish a new podcast.

You mentioned me, too. And although I would LOVE to help with setting up the MKDS tournament(s), it might be notable to point out that I don't have a DS. ;) I will still gladly help, though.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2006, 09:10:32 am »
Listening now, sounds good so far :D.
By the way it is actually pronounced "Fee-fa". You can now win various pronounciation argument.
From various independant reviews here in the UK it doesnt look like FIFA street has much to recommend it, it looks like a bit of an exercise of style over substance...:P
« Last Edit: January 19, 2006, 09:14:30 am by Krakow Sam »
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Martham112

• Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2006, 01:10:35 pm »

You mentioned me, too. And although I would LOVE to help with setting up the MKDS tournament(s), it might be notable to point out that I don't have a DS. ;) I will still gladly help, though.

I got in it too!

Offline Kagan

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2006, 02:52:52 pm »
Tetris is a horrible game that should have been wiped out a long time ago. "Wow, let's combine blocks and try to keep them from reaching the top, SO BRILLIANT AND COOL, OHMYGAAAAAAAWZ!"

It comes as no surprise that you would like a mindlessly repetitive game like that since you're always lavishing World of Warcraft with attention.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2006, 03:04:17 pm by Kagan »

Offline 762

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2006, 03:03:04 pm »
I don't want to sound like a GamingSteve fanboy, but please be more courteous. Not just to Steve, but to the members in general.

Spore countdowns: USA Europe

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2006, 03:09:14 pm »
I don't want to sound like a GamingSteve fanboy, but please be more courteous. Not just to Steve, but to the members in general.

Well, this IS his website, so I see nothing wrong with that. ;)

And Kagan, you can't harp on people for their tastes in games. Everyone is different. Just because you may not like Tetris, does not mean it is a bad game. Try to be more tolerant of other people's opinions, it makes the forum a better place for everybody. :)

Offline Kagan

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2006, 03:11:53 pm »
And Kagan, you can't harp on people for their tastes in games. Everyone is different. Just because you may not like Tetris, does not mean it is a bad game. Try to be more tolerant of other people's opinions, it makes the forum a better place for everybody. :)

Aye, I can, because people that share his opinions are the reason why mindless games like World of Warcraft are able to do so well, despite the fact that they have little to no substance to them. This causes the gaming market to shift to cater to mindless gamers, which affects me since I want games with substance and actual gameplay.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2006, 03:14:53 pm by Kagan »

Offline T-BirD

• Battlezone Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2006, 03:14:37 pm »
Must....stop....blocks....from....reaching....top......

Actually, the game is REALLY fun in multiplayer - good examples are Tetron4 and Tetrinet - both free to download.

I hope they never make Mortal Kombat DS - that would make abbreviations really confusing around here  ::)

I also saw Bloodrayne the other day...and amazingly enough, I didn't think it was "horrific" - just "pretty sub-par".  I pretty much completely agree with Kotaku's review of the movie. For example, the fight scenes really MIGHT be pretty good, but you never get a chance to see more than half a second of action before the camera switches to the next half-second shot.

http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/bloodrayne/bloodrayne-movie-review-147859.php

Offline 762

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2006, 03:15:03 pm »
On a lighter note, here's a link to an original tetris commercial:

http://ebaumsworld.com/2006/01/tetris.html

Kagan: I'm sure that any game you like can be ridiculed for one reason or another, same with anybody's taste in anything. Some people like Sony, some people like Nintendo, they can go on and on about why the other company sucks while having reasons for why their favorite company is the greatest.

Nobody is wrong, but then again no one is right. Their opinions are different, they should leave it at that. And so should you.

Offline Mr. Wizard

• Karate Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2006, 03:17:32 pm »
Kagan's a troller, he just wants attention. Ignore his rude posts, and he'll shut up and go away, or will improve the quality and respectfullness of his posts.

Thats a nice bit of history there, 762.  :)

Offline Kagan

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2006, 03:20:03 pm »
Kagan's a troller, he just wants attention. Ignore his rude posts, and he'll shut up and go away, or will improve the quality and respectfullness of his posts.

I imagine it is rather convenient to label me a troll so as to save yourself from actually having to mount an intelligent argument against me.

Offline 762

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2006, 03:22:47 pm »
Alright. Let's just kill this topic before it mounts to a flame war. Nobody worry about defending your reputation, just stop posting about this.

Offline Kagan

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2006, 03:23:42 pm »
Nobody is wrong, but then again no one is right. Their opinions are different, they should leave it at that. And so should you.

That is the problem with people these days. They are afraid to stake their beliefs with blood and sweat, so they simply say, "We all have different opinions, so let's just agree to disagree! Let's go prance around the forest, holding each others hands as we live in harmony!"

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2006, 03:24:10 pm »

I imagine it is rather convenient to label me a troll so as to save yourself from actually having to mount an intelligent argument against me.

Unfortunately for you, you are the only one arguing.

Alright. Let's just kill this topic before it mounts to a flame war. Nobody worry about defending your reputation, just stop posting about this.

I agree, nothing good will come from this.

Offline Vivec

• Gauntlet Wizard
  • The truth has vanished into darkness...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2006, 03:25:39 pm »
New proposal for Kagan:

Ignore at all costs.

Even if he calls you the son of a motherless goat, trollers need people to bug so they will continue.
Vivec, you're the best forum member ever.

Offline 762

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2006, 03:26:17 pm »
That's the best idea since someone decided to distill alcohol!

Offline Mr. Wizard

• Karate Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2006, 03:27:03 pm »

Aye, I can, because people that share his opinions are the reason why mindless games like World of Warcraft are able to do so well, despite the fact that they have little to no substance to them. This causes the gaming market to shift to cater to mindless gamers, which affects me since I want games with substance and actual gameplay.

I just realized that Kagan sounds like he is from RPG Codex, the anti-establishment forum. They rant on any game of a certain level of popularity, all the while glorifying the games that faded into obscurity.

Kagan, if you aren't a part of that forum, go join, they sound perfect for you. PM me if you are interested and I'll send you a link.

Also, games are different for different people. Just because you like a game doesn't make that game any smarter, you just have different preferences. Also, just because a game is popular doesn't mean its bad. The opposite is true, and I am not talking about sales figures here.

Only an arrogant person thinks he or she is better or smarter than "the masses"

Offline 762

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2006, 03:28:54 pm »
I'm not saying that Kagan is better than all of us, but this came to mind:

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2006, 03:31:35 pm »
762 you said yourself that we should just kill this topic, yea well you are still continuing it. just saying.

Offline Vivec

• Gauntlet Wizard
  • The truth has vanished into darkness...
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2006, 03:32:36 pm »
He said kill the beginning of a Flame War, not the topic. People can still discuss the episode.
Vivec, you're the best forum member ever.

Offline Mr. Wizard

• Karate Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2006, 03:48:50 pm »

Back on topic, I really enjoyed this show. Steve playing the DS game, while trying to talk  :D made me laugh so hard.

Offline LadyM

• View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2006, 03:50:39 pm »
It's nice that the forum members will rally to Steve's defense. He needs to be shown respect in his own forum. However, lets not let this discussion get out of hand and end in a flame war or worse. If someone doesn't like Steve's views, then maybe this isn't the forum for them.

Okay, lets get back on topic about Episode 35 like Mr. Wizard has done. Episode 35 is now available on iTunes. I just downloaded it.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2006, 04:37:21 pm by LadyM »

Offline Danzik

• Gyruss Gyrusian
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2006, 07:33:58 pm »
Great episode.  I knew the xbox didn't do well in Japan but, not even in the top 100...

Let's definatly get this MKDS tourney going.  I've added everyone here on the Friend code thread and will try to leave the DS on more often.

Offline Aybraus

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • aka VFX Watch aka Toothy aka Chris.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2006, 08:02:01 pm »
A winner is me!  I will email you soon, Steve!
I'm toothy22 on Steam. Someone needs to invite me into the GS clan!

Offline LadyM

• View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2006, 08:24:26 am »

I finally listened this morning  ;D  Yeah, I'd be glad to help with any DS tournaments or gameplay and while I'm not good at Mario Kart, I do give it my best try.

Offline Jutendouji

• Atari Combat Vet
  • King of the Meow!
    • View Profile
    • Life in a Box
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2006, 09:58:58 am »
Awwwww, shucks, I didn't win T________T Ho well, B.L.T.!!!

Great show as usual Steve, and you know, maybe this the wrong place to make a suggestion but you keep bringing up the topic about how Japanese gamers are different than the US and European gamers, and boy are you RIGHT! So maybe you could make a GameTalk one of these days regarding this subject? I'm very much a japanese gamer or so to speak, because I consume that kind of gaming daily, so if you need some insights into the japanese mindset, or something like that, let me know! I still think it'd be a very interesting GameTalk. But it's just a thought!

Keep up the good work, Steve!

Offline Atari Man

• Brain Games Mastermind
  • >[insert catchy phrase here]<
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2006, 11:02:28 pm »
?? I swear I posted in here already??

Anyways awsome episode! I wonder how many times someone has said that? Maybe we should keep a tally?

Offline Leng

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
  • !?!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2006, 01:32:33 am »
i think kagan is right though.  repetitive gameplay is the bane of the artform, and steve loves it.  remember ConfQuest?  that live action version of a MMORPG they had at GDC that steve talked about in his very first podcasts?  they would have people walking around with a button that said "monster", and they had ranks of monsters.  and you faught them by saying "hey let's fight" and then standing around pulling cards out of a bag for a couple minutes.  and then you would get a loot card and have to go to a special place and wait in line for half an hour to exchange the card for another card that said specifically what loot you got.. and then you waited in line to fight the higher level monsters (who were guys standing around with "monster" tags).  to get another card with ""mephisto sword" or some thing written on it in permanent marker.  Steve liked that.

honestly it has to be the hollow appeal of loot and advancement that draws people to online RPG's, because there's simply no game involved.  the fact that people will pay "real" money to get "fake" money in WOW or guildwars is really telling about our capitalist society.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2006, 06:14:48 pm by Gaming Steve »
I have been told
not by one but two of my lovers
that I've got a heart of gold
but I'm unable to share it with others
They call me a poet who'll never have a poem
a tiger with no taste for bone
I'm the wonderful wonderful wizard who's waltzing alone

Offline Gaming Steve

• Master Chief
  • Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Steve
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2006, 06:11:20 pm »
i think kagan is right though.  repetitive gameplay is the bane of the artform, and steve loves it.

Wow, normally I wouldn't even respond to something like this, but you could not be more wrong Leng. I positively hate repetitive gameplay and if you listen to my podcasts I gave WoW one of the lowest ratings of all my reviews. I don't know what gave you that impression but repetitive gameplay is the bane of my existence.

I DO enjoy the social aspects of MMOs, which was ConfQuest was all about. It was a great way to meet and talk to people using a social game methodology. Sorry you misunderstood the point of that in my podcast Leng.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2006, 06:14:12 pm by Gaming Steve »

Offline Leng

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
  • !?!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2006, 08:48:05 pm »
hmm, i guess i got the wrong impression.  the real problem i had was with the popular clique bashing the outside agitator.  i agree you should ignore him, but more because he's entitled to his opinion than from a "don't feed the troll" attitude.
I have been told
not by one but two of my lovers
that I've got a heart of gold
but I'm unable to share it with others
They call me a poet who'll never have a poem
a tiger with no taste for bone
I'm the wonderful wonderful wizard who's waltzing alone

Offline SurfMurph

• Brain Games Mastermind
    • View Profile
    • My blog on MSN Spaces
« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2006, 08:16:38 am »
Well, I finally got to listen to this episode. So many podcasts, so little time.  :P

Steve, you didn't cover all of the subject of a standardized gaming platform in your reply to one of the Q&As. With the 3DO you had various hardware manufacturers producing 3DO. If I remember correctly you could buy a 3DO console from either Sanyo, Goldstar, or Panasonic. And Creative even came out with an ISA card that you could add to a CD-ROM equipped PC and play 3DO games. I think it was called the 3DO Blaster.

The GameBoy was never a standard in this same sense. Yes, it was a de facto standard for handhelds in the 90s, only because the competing products never gained significant market share. However, you never saw a GameBoy made by Panasonic, Philips, etc. That's a key difference and is what I thought the person asking the question was trying to get at.

Will we ever see, for example, Sony licensing the Playstation 2 technology to another electronics manufacturer, such as Samsung? Or would Microsoft sell the Xbox technology to LG for inclusion in a DVR/DVD combo unit? I don't see Sony doing this as they are a consumer electronics company. Why sell their IP to another consumer electronics company when they can make any form factor Playstation they want themselves.

However, I don't think its as far-fetched an idea with Microsoft. They are primarily a software company. They license their technologies to all kinds of computer and electronics manufacturers. Could we ever see, for example, a future Creative Zen device that plays Xbox games that you download from the web? I don't think so, but crazier things have happened in this industry.

Now on to episode 36 on my drive home from work.  8)

Offline T-BirD

• Battlezone Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2006, 12:04:31 pm »
There's one exception - Panasonic made a DVD/Gamecube combo.  It's called the Panasonic Q, and it's nice and shiny and says "hello" and "goodbye" on its LCD screen :P

Offline Djfinny

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2006, 07:36:25 am »
Great show Steve, I've had Baldurs Gate 2 sitting in a box at home - I got it as a gift several years ago and never bothers to play it.  I'm going to give it a try - thanks for the review.

DJ