Author Topic: The Perfect Game  (Read 13219 times)

Offline The Evil Blob

• Missile Commander
  • "Enchanted creature gets +8/+8 and has Trample"
    • View Profile
The Perfect Game
« on: April 01, 2005, 01:25:13 pm »
I think that for everyone there is at least one game that can be described by them as nothing other than "perfect." If you have found that game, what is it and why do you like it? If you have not, what do you think it will be like?

As for myself, I reallly think that The Elder Scrolls series is rapidly approaching what I would call perfection. Oblivion (TES IV) looks pretty damn good, but the truly perfect TES game is probably yet to come. One thing that would make The Elder Scrolls series better, im my opinion, as all of this is, is some technological advancement from game to game. Oblivion looks as though it will take place in the same technological era as Arena (TES I) did, while hundreds of years have passed since then. I would also like a better combat system than the completely horrid one in TES III. (It worked, there was just some weird move-while-pulling-your-sword/axe/whatever-back system that absolutely no one I know of knew what to do with.)

Just thought that this would be an interesting topic.

Why do you park on a driveway and drive on a parkway?

Offline Cend

• Brain Games Mastermind
    • View Profile
Re: The Perfect Game
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2005, 02:24:05 pm »
Baldur's Gate 2. Just the sheer number of items that exists and the backstory that many items have. I feel it really adds to the whole atmosphere of the game, and gives a history to everything. Also has a fairly good plot and is a lot of fun to play (although illithid's are such a pain in the ass...)

Never really got into NeverWinter Nights, although I've had some friends that couldn't stop playing it.

PS. can't remember where, but someone mentioned something about the game 'Nexus'...which game are we talking about here? The jupiter incident, Nexus for C64 or the mmorpg? Send me a message if you read this.
"Perfection is just the perceived absence of flaws."
-Marvilber, on the subject of elves.

Offline lemurbouy

• Defender Devotee
  • oh my...
    • View Profile
    • Leeman's Livejournal!
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2005, 02:34:22 pm »
When I played Civilization 2 it was about as close I could get to perfection.  I was very tempted to pick Metal Gear Solid but I figured that people might be getting tired of it and to be honest, Civ 2 was a game I could just play again and again.  The first two Fallouts comes dangerously close as well but in terms of perfection, it takes a lot to beat Civ 2.  -leeman

Offline DevilMachine

• Q*Bert Qrazy
  • Defender of the Universe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2005, 02:38:23 pm »
for me, Heroes of might and magic 3 and final fantasy 7, were damn near perfect.
but like everyone else Im still waiting for the ultimate perfect game that will never be released.

Offline The Evil Blob

• Missile Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2005, 03:26:10 pm »
When I played Civilization 2 it was about as close I could get to perfection. I was very tempted to pick Metal Gear Solid but I figured that people might be getting tired of it and to be honest, Civ 2 was a game I could just play again and again. The first two Fallouts comes dangerously close as well but in terms of perfection, it takes a lot to beat Civ 2. -leeman
Good old Civ 2. My first taste of one of the greatest genres out there, TBS. The main thing I didn't like about it was the music, though. It was so frickin' annoying!!! Other than that, I loved it.

Offline Jecrell

• Battlezone Captain
  • Giant Snowy Ape
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2005, 04:24:27 pm »
Baldur's Gate 2. Just the sheer number of items that exists and the backstory that many items have. I feel it really adds to the whole atmosphere of the game, and gives a history to everything. Also has a fairly good plot and is a lot of fun to play (although illithid's are such a pain in the ass...)

Never really got into NeverWinter Nights, although I've had some friends that couldn't stop playing it.

PS. can't remember where, but someone mentioned something about the game 'Nexus'...which game are we talking about here? The jupiter incident, Nexus for C64 or the mmorpg? Send me a message if you read this.

You play Neverwinter Nights for the multiplayer, and if anyone says Neverwinter Nights singleplayer is good -- lol @ them.

The perfect game -- for me... I think it was The Dig, from LucasArts. That was really something special.

Offline Lord Janos

• Wizardry Whiz
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2005, 05:07:21 pm »
Nothing is perfect.  Perfection is something we should all be scared of.  We do not want a perfect game.  Why?  Because then it would totally destroy the gaming business and leave us no reason to do anything else.  If something is perfect then it has no flaws, and simply cannot be improved. 

What is there to strive for if there is nowhere left to go?  Developing Companies would be shut down because everybody was buying this "perfect game", thousands in the gaming industry would lose jobs.  If a game is perfect then there is no speculation... nothing to look forward to after it comes.  Why would you want one?

Sorry for getting all philosophical on you... but it's late (or early, whichever way you wish to look at it).

Offline Zealousy

• Wizard of Wor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2005, 05:53:38 pm »
I'd have to go with Freedom Fighters. That game was good on every platform. Everything about that game seemed to fit just right. The level designs were great, the controls were responsive and simple. If they'd only spent some time adding a multiplayer mode to the PC version so I could play online with other people... I'd probably visit these forums a lot less than I do. ;D
I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather ... Not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car.
- Will Shriner

Offline Eagle13

• Brain Games Mastermind
  • Reality is an artificial construct
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2005, 11:08:16 am »
I have to agree with Janos on this fact. Nothing is perfect, atleast on our plain of reality, and what we deem as "perfect" depends on the person, and there views on said subject.

Personaly, there are a fiew games that have held my intrest no matter how many times I play them. The first would be AVP:2, primaraly and alien campaign. It was just soo COOL going around as an alien and killing people.

The second would have to be Never Winter Nights. No matter how many times I played the campaigns, I can always find new stuff I had not seen before.

The last would be Natural Selection for Half-Life. Dispite it being a muliplayer mod, its still ALWAYS fun to eat marines as an Onos.
We create reality, reality does not create us. Thus is the question, if we stop beleving in reality, then what are our limitations on pursuing our dreams?

Offline The Evil Blob

• Missile Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2005, 12:45:06 pm »
Nothing is perfect. Perfection is something we should all be scared of. We do not want a perfect game. Why? Because then it would totally destroy the gaming business and leave us no reason to do anything else. If something is perfect then it has no flaws, and simply cannot be improved.

What is there to strive for if there is nowhere left to go? Developing Companies would be shut down because everybody was buying this "perfect game", thousands in the gaming industry would lose jobs. If a game is perfect then there is no speculation... nothing to look forward to after it comes. Why would you want one?

Sorry for getting all philosophical on you... but it's late (or early, whichever way you wish to look at it).
True perfection is unattainable in our inherently imperfect world. Therefore, this horrible destruction of the video game industry by one perfect game that you discribed will not happen.
and what we deem as "perfect" depends on the person, and there views on said subject.
This is another reason that will never happen. Even if there is one insanely awesome game out there, there will be people who don't like it. Think Halo 2. That is one of the best games made to date, in the opinion of many. But there are people who don't like it. However many people like a game, there will still be just as many, if not more, who do not. Everyone has different tastes. This ensures that the video game industry will not collapse because of one game.

I was just asking what different people would like to see in a "perfect" game.

Offline Lord Janos

• Wizardry Whiz
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2005, 01:17:11 pm »
Everybody WOULD like the perfect game though, because it would be perfect - if some people didn't like it then it wouldn't be perfect would it?

Offline The Evil Blob

• Missile Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2005, 01:24:57 pm »
Allright. Think of it this way. God is perfect. There are people who don't like Him. Does that mean He isn't perfect? No.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2005, 01:53:54 pm by The Evil Blob »

Offline Zealousy

• Wizard of Wor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2005, 01:56:12 pm »
I thought the point of this thead was to talk about which pc games were a perfect fit for us. I don't think this is about 'the perfect game' as much as which games just felt right and played smoothly.

Nothing is perfect, atleast on our plain of reality, and what we deem as "perfect" depends on the person, and there views on said subject.

Good, let's be subjective then. ;D
I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather ... Not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car.
- Will Shriner

Offline Lord Janos

• Wizardry Whiz
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2005, 02:00:58 pm »
Allright. Think of it this way. God is perfect. There are people who don't like Him. Does that mean He isn't perfect? No.

In what way is he deemed perfect in this?  Do you mean, is he generally a perfect Thing, or is he perfect in the eyes of Man?  If the latter, then that doesn't make him perfect.

Offline The Evil Blob

• Missile Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2005, 04:32:49 pm »
God is truely perfect. Not just in the eyes of man.

There are some people who do not believe that God is perfect, but merely the fact that they say He is not does not make it true.

Therefore, if a video game was perfect, just because someone said that it was not perfect would not make it any less perfect.

(Somewhat on both subjects, I wonder if there are perfect videos game in Heaven?)