Author Topic: FFXI  (Read 4006 times)

Offline Clayface

• Jungle Hunter
  • user #9
    • View Profile
FFXI
« on: March 16, 2005, 07:51:35 pm »
any1 here play FFXI? if so, what server/name/race/job/level/subjob/subjoblevel ? , im Clayface on asura, im a lvl 30DRK/15SAM GALKA

Offline pfellah

• Contributor
  • Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
Re: FFXI
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2005, 08:42:40 pm »
Oddly enough (given my tendency to try just about every MMO out there), I never got around to FFXI. I think I was probably in my City of Heroes or maybe EQ2 phase. These days, though, I've been enjoying WoW quite a bit.

Offline Gaming Steve

• Master Chief
  • Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Steve
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2005, 08:48:41 pm »
I too have never played this one. I have tried just about every single MMO as well, but not this one. But I have heard very good things about it. What do you think Clay? I would be interested in hearing more about it and what you like about FFXI?
Check out Gaming Steve on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/thegamingsteve

Offline Zefrid

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2005, 08:56:28 pm »
Yeah me too. I have never heard of FFXI.
Got Gaming Steve forum membership?

Offline Clayface

• Jungle Hunter
  • user #9
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2005, 09:50:25 pm »
its really fun, but it can get boreing , just like everything else, i play it for 3 months straight, then one day i just dont wat to play it, for like 3 months, then i play it some more for 3 MORE months etc etc etc

Offline The Evil Blob

• Missile Commander
  • "Enchanted creature gets +8/+8 and has Trample"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2005, 01:10:58 pm »
I don't play any MMOs (mostly because of the whole monthly fee thing) but have been thinking about picking one up. Which would you guys recommend?
Why do you park on a driveway and drive on a parkway?

Offline Gaming Steve

• Master Chief
  • Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Steve
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2005, 01:55:14 pm »
I will reviewing WOW in an upcomming podcast. Depends upon your play style, but I would say either WOW or City of Heroes. Both are good and you can get City of Heroes for just $10 (and a free month). So that's a good deal.
Check out Gaming Steve on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/thegamingsteve

Offline The Evil Blob

• Missile Commander
  • "Enchanted creature gets +8/+8 and has Trample"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2005, 03:02:21 pm »
I'll look forward to the review. I'll also see what I can find on 1up about those two and make my decision from there.
Why do you park on a driveway and drive on a parkway?

Offline lemurbouy

• Defender Devotee
  • oh my...
    • View Profile
    • Leeman's Livejournal!
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2005, 10:14:54 pm »
I highly recommend City of Heroes as you have a ton of customizing options and the gameplay is somewhat simplified.  It can get somewhat repetitive but I didn't get tired of it.  Only reason I stopped playing was because of school.  -leeman

Offline pfellah

• Contributor
  • Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2005, 10:45:02 am »
To expand on what G.S. said...

City of Heroes and World of Warcraft are probably the most friendly to the novice MMO player.

I won't dissect WoW's appeal to the new player because Steve did a good job of that. Basically, it's mostly standard MMO fare, but Blizzard did a GREAT job of sanding the rough edges off the learning curve, and you're moved along to visually interesting places fairly early on, as opposed to Mythic's Dark Ages of the 15th Fairway.

The best thing going for CoH is that it does a good job of making you feel powerful out of the gates. With most MMOs, you're starting in generic armor, bopping rats or insects on the head, lots of downtime between fights. With CoH, you get to design your costume out of the gates, so you feel a greater sense of your identity, and the low levels are desgined around "one hero vs. a group of baddies", so you feel more heroic from Level 1. Similarly, they give you some more impressive powers early on (Hover, a precursor to Flight, at Level 6, for instance) that also make you feel like a badass quicker. That's an important draw early on. (What you sacrifice is much less customization later on, as there's no "loot" that alters your look per se -- though there is a costume shop where you can redesign yourself and keep it fresh.)