Author Topic: More then 1 UFO?  (Read 24664 times)

Offline Brutus

• Ice Climber
    • View Profile
Re: More then 1 UFO?
« Reply #90 on: March 14, 2006, 01:55:40 am »
in my personal oppinion, not a chance in hell, why would you want or need to have 2 not so good ufo when you could have 1 good one, (putting the genosis device on one and the doomsday on the other wouldnt make sence because you could just put them on 1 ship instead and make that ship good)
Never mind your own business.

Offline jarnomiedema

• Wizard of Wor
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 14, 2006, 09:55:47 am »
I think "not a chance in hell" is a rather harsh statement when it comes to this subject, but I personally think it would be a great idea to have more than one type of UFO. After all, we have all kinds of different vehicles for land, water and air on the planet, then why not carriers, battleships, trade ships, transport ships, etc.?

Ofcourse that would be a bit much to control yourself, so they could be automated as well, but I would love to design fleets of ships.. Seeing them flying about while you control the main UFO doesn't sound like a bad prospect..

Unfortunately Will Wright has already countered this view by stating that he wants the UFO to be like a Swiss Army Knive, being the ultimate multi-purpose tool for Spore.. Nevertheless, looking at Battlestar Galactica, Star Wars and Star Trek, I can't help but hope to be able to get fleets.. Who knows? An space oriented expansion pack for Spore?  ;D
« Last Edit: March 14, 2006, 11:15:04 am by jarnomiedema »

Offline Tantalus

• Bezerk Brawler
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 14, 2006, 10:15:50 am »
Get more than 1 UFO, not likely as been said its your avatar. Now for those of you dismissing getting space age units just because you think it would make it to much like an RTS or a Homeworld... Its not likely going to be nearly in depth as Homeworld in its combat elements just like the city stage won't be as indepth as simcity or the planetary battles won't be as indepth as Civ is. If you remove all race created abilities at that level (aside from you) you remove a vast portion of the fun, that is having your creations interact with the world.

Offline Petike

• Stargate Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 14, 2006, 11:30:14 am »
I think "not a chance in hell" is a rather harsh statement when it comes to this subject, but I personally think it would be a great idea to have more than one type of UFO. After all, we have all kinds of different vehicles for land, water and air on the planet, then why not carriers, battleships, trade ships, transport ships, etc.?

Of course that would be a bit much to control yourself, so they could be automated as well, but I would love to design fleets of ships.. Seeing them flying about while you control the main UFO doesn't sound like a bad prospect..

Unfortunately Will Wright has already countered this view by stating that he wants the UFO to be like a Swiss Army Knife, being the ultimate multi-purpose tool for Spore.. Nevertheless, looking at Battlestar Galactica, Star Wars and Star Trek, I can't help but hope to be able to get fleets.. Who knows? An space oriented expansion pack for Spore?  ;D
Swiss Army Knife means the UFO technology I think. And WW said in the GS interview than you can customize that at the vehicle editor, so I think it is just one of the vehicles.If there will be one UFO Spore will be bad.
Quote from: MasterChiToes in "Spore was dumbed down"
Maybe the Sporons are the ones that got dumbed down?  ;D

Offline LONE GUNNER3

• Intellivision Junkie
  • I WILL RULE ALL.as soon as I get Spore that is .
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 14, 2006, 12:05:43 pm »
Quote from: Gaming Steve
Thanks for your email. I have only seen a single UFO controlled, but that might change. Also there is the very real possibility that the one UFO “represents” a fleet. But so far I have only seen a single one.

However, I know that there will be space combat in the game, so at some time you will control a fleet of fighters and so forth. I haven’t seen this in action, but I have seen the design docs on this.

Hope that helps! Thanks for the email!

I think that answers it.This also could be the next thing we see in Will presentation of the demo  ;).

1.This will be answered at the GDC.

2.Some people should read a few pages back  :P.

I think one UFO is enough.I just want some battle ships and invading forces (but by the looks from that quote we most likely will).
MAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA one day l shall RULE the galaxy.And that day will be when Spore comes out :p

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/rpg_man/Untitled-1.png

Offline Mason11987

• Rally-X Roadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 14, 2006, 12:28:03 pm »
Quote from: Gaming Steve
Thanks for your email. I have only seen a single UFO controlled, but that might change. Also there is the very real possibility that the one UFO “represents” a fleet. But so far I have only seen a single one.

However, I know that there will be space combat in the game, so at some time you will control a fleet of fighters and so forth. I haven’t seen this in action, but I have seen the design docs on this.

Hope that helps! Thanks for the email!

I think that answers it.This also could be the next thing we see in Will presentation of the demo  ;).

1.This will be answered at the GDC.

2.Some people should read a few pages back  :P.

I think one UFO is enough.I just want some battle ships and invading forces (but by the looks from that quote we most likely will).

I think that solidifies that at least they INTEND to have multiple vehicles so I assume there will be, that's very cool.
My Sporepedia page: http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Mason11987
On GS: http://www.gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=12609.0

Maxis and Spore - Bringing your imagination to life:

Offline BalkanDain

• Space Invaders Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 19, 2006, 08:41:08 am »
Well  i don't know if this has been said but what if your UFO gets destroyed.  In the video, when he went to the city, the city started throwing missles at him and he had to fly away.  But what if it gets destroyed? Game Over?  What stops you from building another... and another so why not at the same time?
«Spore, better than sex.»
-Slognaizer-

Offline Sadisticfaction

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 19, 2006, 10:15:38 am »
Isn't it so that even when you're rolling around in your UFO, you can take a step back, park the saucer, and check out your citizens? I mean, from what I gathered one can still very much go to the Civ-level, the UFO is mostly just a way of transport, and for general messing about.
I really don't see how it would be possible to have more than one UFO, because really, you can't control one around. You ARE one, when you have the UFO-mode turned on. When you don't, you're at Civ-level. One would need a completely different interface in order to order UFOs around, because you can only assign two out of three coordinates at a time. So, I think I can nearly guarantee there will only be one UFO. Not to say you can't have a thousand UFO-designs, and pick and choose between them as you like (dunno how that might work).

Offline Brutus

• Ice Climber
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 19, 2006, 10:18:34 am »
he said you can even scroll back and forth so you can go back to tribal level if you want or back to city level and stuff.
Never mind your own business.

Offline slugfly

• Time Pilot Trekker
    • View Profile
    • SporeFanatic
« Reply #99 on: March 20, 2006, 05:50:27 am »
I want several UFO's because as I stated in another thread; most missions of exploration seldom return.  I want to be able to send a ship off to its doom knowing that it's not going to bring me to a deadend if I get a bit too close to that sun, or accidentally discover a hostile people who are already powerful enough to snuff me out.

Offline TotalSandwich

• Vanguard Venturer
  • Tersonal Pext?
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 22, 2006, 06:20:37 pm »
in my personal oppinion, not a chance in hell, why would you want or need to have 2 not so good ufo when you could have 1 good one, (putting the genosis device on one and the doomsday on the other wouldnt make sence because you could just put them on 1 ship instead and make that ship good)
I dont believe in 2 not so good, i belive in 1 good and  loits of not so good.
The moon is a sickle cell; it will kill you in time.

Offline Zer Zeron

• Fire Truck Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 22, 2006, 09:37:18 pm »
I just noticed, in the "A Compalation of answers we have recieved from will wright ( Via Email) Updated!" Thread, they ask if their will be Slavery, and Will responds by saying maybe, if you capture another races space colony.

Q: Slavery: Yes or no?

A: Sort of, if you capture another races space colony.

Offline jarnomiedema

• Wizard of Wor
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 23, 2006, 07:10:30 am »
I think that probably means that slavery as in making slaves out of 'less advanced' lifeforms on your own planet or other tribes of your own species is out of the question.. The only way it applies then is by capturing an enemy city or space colony and forcing the populace to work for you..

The same thread mentioned by Zer Zeron also states that Will Wright has said that Space Stations aren't going to be part of the game.. Naturally, being the most excited about the space stage, that's slightly dissapointing..

I did found this:
Q: Will there be interstellar vehicles other than UFOs?
A: Not sure.

That's interesting.. I guess it's just a matter of waiting and seeing.. And hey, who knows? Perhaps we'll get some clarity on some of the biggest questions we have in the coming days..  ;D

Offline slugfly

• Time Pilot Trekker
    • View Profile
    • SporeFanatic
« Reply #103 on: March 23, 2006, 07:16:03 am »
anything that travels into space could be classed as a UFO (since obviously we don't care that something we make will indeed be identified) but other than the "swiss-army-spaceship" I'd also like to see very large cargo carriers (for carrying resources and creatures) and very fast scouting ships.  It'd be extra nice if we could make unmanned probes to send out in random directions or (my biggest hope in regards to space vehicles) artificial satellites which could have a variety of uses including surveillance, weapons, proximity alarms, atmosphere/environment analysis and maybe even mapping (find maps of orbited planets in the options screen).

Offline Tarrasque

• Mystery House Madman
  • Freedom at last!
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 23, 2006, 07:49:25 am »
anything that travels into space could be classed as a UFO (since obviously we don't care that something we make will indeed be identified) but other than the "swiss-army-spaceship" I'd also like to see very large cargo carriers (for carrying resources and creatures) and very fast scouting ships.  It'd be extra nice if we could make unmanned probes to send out in random directions or (my biggest hope in regards to space vehicles) artificial satellites which could have a variety of uses including surveillance, weapons, proximity alarms, atmosphere/environment analysis and maybe even mapping (find maps of orbited planets in the options screen).

We simply know too little about the gameplay. Damn. In the video you see Will manipulatinig the controls and the colony appears magically on the surface of the planet. No transport of recources or inhabitants, it all just appears.

On planet, we have vehicles to interact with other cities, so we will probably be seeing ships running back and forth doing the trading, and tanks fighting it out. But what about space combat? If you meet another space faring civilization, will just the two UFO's fight?

I hope not. Can't imagine that.
"I'm Jack's complete lack of surprise"