Author Topic: More then 1 UFO?  (Read 25112 times)

Offline Samog

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • objectivists are dumb
    • View Profile
    • -
Re: More then 1 UFO?
« Reply #75 on: January 26, 2006, 02:24:13 pm »
I'm pretty sure this has been said a few (dozen) times in this thread already, but here I go.

Space fleets seem kind of necessary for interstellar war (or even just planetary invasion, based on the amounts of damage being caused by the UFO and the city in the video), whether just launched from/warped to the UFO or ordered to hop from one star to another. To me, the UFO really seems more like the special forces and less like the Grand High Admiral's Flagship (of course, it could be the Grand High Admiral's Flagship if that's your playing style, but it still has those other abilities).
"Fine. Don't believe me. I'm not lying. all your laziness which you mistake for something funney is driving me insane, quit fooling around!  dude this is just wrong, very wrong. reality does not consist of constrained language. go lock this thread malt. I love the payment."4MOD

alxian, the last

« Reply #76 on: January 26, 2006, 08:22:43 pm »
i'd rather hope that the UFO is indicative of the minute amount of the final game that was demoed to us.

such that as much more involved will the UFO and the dynamics of playing as a space ready race in the game, so too will everything else be much more detailed and involved.

will claimed that the demo was just for show.. what means in the end is that was a tiny UFO for demo purposes, end users will have the freedom to make their ship as detailed and realistic as the game engine will allow. so even is it means only one ship then thats still ok. if it means as many detailed ships as you can imagine and afford, thats fine too.

Offline huggkruka

• Space Ace
  • Totally powers
    • View Profile
    • My Digitalart.org profile
« Reply #77 on: January 27, 2006, 04:01:36 am »
I hope there'll be fleets and space races and the likes. Humans didn't go from "city stage" to an all-powerful UFO. Aw well, the UFO is, I guess, just a representation of all things spacy. Too bad, since huge space fleets clashing in space would be way cool.

Offline Quantum Burrito

• K.C. Munchkin Maestro
  • Up, Down, Strange, Charm, Top, Bottom, Burrito
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 27, 2006, 07:45:48 am »
Quote from: Gaming Steve
Thanks for your email. I have only seen a single UFO controlled, but that might change. Also there is the very real possibility that the one UFO “represents” a fleet. But so far I have only seen a single one.

However, I know that there will be space combat in the game, so at some time you will control a fleet of fighters and so forth. I haven’t seen this in action, but I have seen the design docs on this.

Hope that helps! Thanks for the email!
Quote from: The Will
In a movie, one can always pull back and condemn the character or the artist ... But in playing a game ... we can be encouraged to examine our own values by seeing how we behave within virtual space.
tl;dr. But with all those shiny symbols and numbers it's probably awsome.

Offline Leng

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
  • !?!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 27, 2006, 12:01:07 pm »
i would hope the ufo represents your uss enterprise, boldly going where no skdhfjhs has gone before while you have other ships terraforming, fighting, moving colonists and freight around.
I have been told
not by one but two of my lovers
that I've got a heart of gold
but I'm unable to share it with others
They call me a poet who'll never have a poem
a tiger with no taste for bone
I'm the wonderful wonderful wizard who's waltzing alone

alxian, the last

« Reply #80 on: January 27, 2006, 11:34:19 pm »
i would hope the ufo represents your uss enterprise, boldly going where no skdhfjhs has gone before while you have other ships terraforming, fighting, moving colonists and freight around.

the key question being once you have your advanced tools can you assign autonomous control to your civilizations.

in your example of automatic terraforming... thats a pretty key aspect of the proliferation of a speicies.. should you ships tend to become destroyed under autonomous control wouldn't one wonder how and why? could the computer specifically try to terraform hostile environments instead of making the game that much easier for you?

Offline Leng

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
  • !?!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 28, 2006, 12:25:22 am »
well it should generally only happen after you had personally terraformed a good number (20?) of worlds.  the ai would be dumber about it than a human, and maybe it could be made more expensive also.
I have been told
not by one but two of my lovers
that I've got a heart of gold
but I'm unable to share it with others
They call me a poet who'll never have a poem
a tiger with no taste for bone
I'm the wonderful wonderful wizard who's waltzing alone

Offline Noflunk

• Mystery House Madman
  • Why is his head soooo big?
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 28, 2006, 06:12:16 am »
The key question being once you have your advanced tools can you assign autonomous control to your civilizations.

I think there will be a way to switch back and forth between your civilization and your UFO. You'd need to be able to do this to take care of your new colonies in the begging of the space age (before you can leave your solar system). Will said you're going to be there a while and need you colonies to build up your UFO and I think you'd need to have some controle over the colonies aka what should be built

Offline Piloteer

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • We're going to hit the mountain!
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 30, 2006, 07:38:46 pm »
I think that it will be possible tohave fleets of war ships, however, your UFO remains your "primary" weapon...sort of like the creature in Black&White 2.

Offline TotalSandwich

• Vanguard Venturer
  • Tersonal Pext?
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 02, 2006, 07:38:19 pm »
I think that it will be possible tohave fleets of war ships, however, your UFO remains your "primary" weapon...sort of like the creature in Black&White 2.
I agree. In majesty, you could set 'explore" and "attack" flags. I think that this could be carried over into spore. Your ships would attack and explore, or recon, or whatever.  You could also have smaller representative UFO's showing trade or activity or whatever.
The moon is a sickle cell; it will kill you in time.

Offline alxian, the last

• Breakout Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 10, 2006, 07:26:12 pm »
do you guys plan to have education/science flags as well as culture flags so that ppopulations can be more resource hungry?

with education flags civilizations could be induced to research hightech faster?

Offline Greg16

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 10, 2006, 07:40:04 pm »
Gaming Steve reallly needs to make a statement in here, as he is the only one who may have any remote idea as to the answer of this topic.
Will Wright, the original.

Offline LONE GUNNER3

• Intellivision Junkie
  • I WILL RULE ALL.as soon as I get Spore that is .
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 10, 2006, 07:43:31 pm »
Quote from: Gaming Steve
Thanks for your email. I have only seen a single UFO controlled, but that might change. Also there is the very real possibility that the one UFO “represents” a fleet. But so far I have only seen a single one.

However, I know that there will be space combat in the game, so at some time you will control a fleet of fighters and so forth. I haven’t seen this in action, but I have seen the design docs on this.

Hope that helps! Thanks for the email!

I think that answers it.This also could be the next thing we see in Will presentation of the demo  ;).
« Last Edit: March 10, 2006, 07:45:25 pm by LONE GUNNER3 »
MAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA one day l shall RULE the galaxy.And that day will be when Spore comes out :p

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/rpg_man/Untitled-1.png

Offline Tantalus

• Bezerk Brawler
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 10, 2006, 09:36:46 pm »
Thank goodness. The idea of going from having competing civilizations on one planet to just piddling around would be too much for me. Hopefully space ship designer has at least some of the (at least visual if nothing else) possibilities of the Galactic Civ 2 ship editor. If the space stage was just the piddling around in the spaceship like Will Wright showed then I could most definately say that I will spend most of my time in either the single creature stage or the planet stage.

Offline Dreyfuss

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
    • The Nezumi
« Reply #89 on: March 14, 2006, 12:04:58 am »
During the Tribal stage, you control one particular creature, do you not?  There was one in the village following the cursor around.  But you can still place items and such, and command the others.  You are the leader, but unlike a typical RTS, you have an avatar.  The equivalent of a king in chess.  Would it not be logical to assume that your UFO is a "mothership" and, just as you where controlling a city but could still make vehicles and send them off WITHOUT your direct control, that you could do the same with space fleets?