Author Topic: More then 1 UFO?  (Read 25053 times)

Offline 762

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
Re: More then 1 UFO?
« Reply #60 on: January 22, 2006, 06:06:33 pm »
QB, there's no reason to be so mean. Essentially, the only difference between the end of Spore and Empire at War is that Spore is a sandbox. And the fleets, we don't know about those yet.

Spore countdowns: USA Europe

Offline Borogove

• Venture Conqueror
  • mimsy: adj. - flimsy and miserable :(
    • View Profile
    • Meyermike.com
« Reply #61 on: January 22, 2006, 06:07:22 pm »
uh, to try and be a bit more polite about it than Señor Burrito:

I think you are pigeon-holing Spore into either a 4X or some other sort of space RTS, when Maxis is really making no attempt to fit within that genre.  In tre GDC video, Will Wright mentions and shows quite a few things which have never been done before.
Use those talents you have. You will make it. You will give joy to the world. Take this tip from nature: The woods would be a very silent place if no birds sang except those who sang best.
-- Bernard Meltzer

Check out my games:  http://www.meyermike.com

Offline Behumat

• Joust Warrior
  • Coruscant committee to fight urban sprawl
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 22, 2006, 06:30:27 pm »
LOL, I always get a kick out of people saying all these different things about spore, when the sad fact is, we still know virtually NOTHING about this game, even after all this time. We've been told very little, and 97% of the information on this site is conjecture.  ;D Mwa ha ha ha ha!

Offline 762

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 22, 2006, 06:32:35 pm »
Yeah, nobody's claiming that they know everything about the game, but we're just using what we know to try to fill in the "bits and pieces." You know what?

*walks away*

Spore countdowns: USA Europe

Offline Behumat

• Joust Warrior
  • Coruscant committee to fight urban sprawl
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 22, 2006, 06:38:03 pm »

alxian, the last

« Reply #65 on: January 23, 2006, 07:31:53 pm »
the only thing MAXIS is doing different is making the galaxy a sand box.

Ummm... can we get this in as a candidate for the stupidest statement ever?

Because you're obviously not going to figure this out for yourself, let me spell it out for you:

1.) [P-R-O-C-E-D-U-R-A-L] [A-L-G-O-R-Y-T-H-M-S]

2.) [V-E-R-Y] [H-A-R-D] [T-O] [C-O-P-Y]

burn

and yeah whatever, the game will be heads and shoulders above other games technically

however

people will keep playing normal games that they are used to if

the other games look better

are easier to understand

are specifically tailored to gamers needs

Maxis wishes spore to break new ground, but the general public may care less depending on what maxis eventually if ever delivers. there are no guarantees everyone will understand or like spore.

thats why i said their is a huge limit to the appeal of the game and possibility more traditional games that will release could easily compete with spore. people WANT traditional games that are a stead ahead of the last itteration, people are leary of games like spore that promise the world and delivery steaming piles of dissapointment. like black and white 2, civ 4, halo 2 etc.

i'll pardon you this time but please refrain from displaying such undue negativity. i don't take it well.

Offline Borogove

• Venture Conqueror
  • mimsy: adj. - flimsy and miserable :(
    • View Profile
    • Meyermike.com
« Reply #66 on: January 23, 2006, 09:35:39 pm »
I imagine our efforts at predicting its eventual popularity are pretty much in vain.  It relys on many factors, and fun value, technical merit, and originality are only some of them.  Whether or not the communities that spring up about it are "noob"-friendly, how easy it is to pick up, how much press it gets, box art, how long people play it, critical reception, whether it is something you'd tell all your friends about, whether wives and girlfriends get interested in it...

In fact, I almost don't care whether Spore is commercialy successful, so long as it developers take notice of it and learn from it.  I am actually less excited about Spore the game than I am about the concepts behind it. 
Use those talents you have. You will make it. You will give joy to the world. Take this tip from nature: The woods would be a very silent place if no birds sang except those who sang best.
-- Bernard Meltzer

Check out my games:  http://www.meyermike.com

Offline huggkruka

• Space Ace
  • Totally powers
    • View Profile
    • My Digitalart.org profile
« Reply #67 on: January 23, 2006, 10:53:42 pm »
Empire at War doesn't let you travel around the galaxy at wil, does itl? The battles are fixed. You cannot simply point at a random point at the galaxy map and say "Let's invade." In Spore, you can(I hope).

Offline Interitus

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • You just blipped on my radar
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 23, 2006, 11:48:36 pm »
Empire at War doesn't let you travel around the galaxy at wil, does itl? The battles are fixed. You cannot simply point at a random point at the galaxy map and say "Let's invade." In Spore, you can(I hope).

No, from what I understand in Empire at War in skirmish games you can do what you want. I hope you aren't judging it by the demo, in the demo the purposely disabled all other planets so you could get a taste, but that's it. You can travel anywhere you want in the full game. (for skirmish at least, not sure how missions will work)
My karma ran over your dogma

Offline huggkruka

• Space Ace
  • Totally powers
    • View Profile
    • My Digitalart.org profile
« Reply #69 on: January 24, 2006, 05:06:38 am »
My point was, there's not hundreds of planets to conquer. You get Tatooine, Corouscant, Naboo and a bunch of others, but it's not the same scale as Spore. Those planets are there, they're created by the developers.

Offline Interitus

• Mr. Do! Disciple
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 24, 2006, 08:53:44 am »
But it's been stated that you won't be able to conquer the entire galaxy anyways. And from Will Wrights comments in the GDC video about staying away from a red giant because it might supernova, and showing off a nebula where new stars are formed. That might means stars will have lives and die out creating a never ending supply of new stars (content)

Offline crippits

• Donkey Kong King
  • Insert Llama noise here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 24, 2006, 08:57:12 am »
where did he say that, about the red giants?

Bow before the Llamas! They demand your respect!

Offline Interitus

• Mr. Do! Disciple
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 24, 2006, 09:11:20 am »
It's in the GDC video. Here shows the crowd the galaxy view and is commenting on how you can find life by putting your cursor over stars and listening for radio chatter. He puts it over a red giant and says something about not wanting to go there.

Edit: Okay so I was close. He says it while talking about the 'terrain' of the galaxy. "These very bright stars are like blue giants. In fact they are going to go supernova very soon so I have to kinda stay away from them"

« Last Edit: January 24, 2006, 09:40:01 am by Interitus »

Offline crippits

• Donkey Kong King
  • Insert Llama noise here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 24, 2006, 09:28:05 am »
ah, thanks. it's been a while since i have watched the video.

Bow before the Llamas! They demand your respect!

Offline the_mitch28

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 26, 2006, 05:40:09 am »
I think if the game is like what we sore in the GDC video it will be unessercery to have more than 1 UFO as it looks like you can only control one at a time.

I do hope there are other types of space ships in the game. If you can't build other types of space ships in the game then what would be the point of allying with other races as they couldn't help you if you came under attack but then again you wouldn't come under attack because there will be no other race that can attack you. This is if other races can't build UFO's which may be true so this would mean that there would have to be other types of space untis so it would make allying actually serve a purpose, especially for trading you would have to have some sort of trade ship as it would be annoying having to use your UFO to go everywhere getting resources. This makes me suspect that there is a good chance that there will be other types of space units.

I also like the idea of having smaller UFO's that come off your main UFO like in Sim City 4: Rush Hour (another creation by Will Wright).