Author Topic: More then 1 UFO?  (Read 25052 times)

Offline Evildude

• Dragster Diehard
    • View Profile
More then 1 UFO?
« on: January 17, 2006, 10:42:07 am »
I think it would be really cool if you could build more then one UFO. You'd be able to have fleets fight each other out, maybe have some smaller fighter type craft. Plus, it would make it so your investments would be a bit safer. You could put your planet buster on one ship, and the genisis device on another.

Or you could just kinda hover over enemy cities for a bit, like in Independece Day.  ;)

I need a sig because the lack of one annoys me.
Life, the Universe, and Everything
http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Evildude

Offline DoggySpew

• Scramble Skipper
    • View Profile
Re: More then 1 UFO?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2006, 11:25:42 am »
This has me thinking about how the "space" part of the game will be created. I hope it will be something like "Homeworld" where you create a huge army of spaceships to combat another huge army of spaceships. I don't think that the UFO will be the only spacecraft in the game, or else space will be a bit boring.

http://www.spore.com/view/profile/DoggySpew

7 Gold, 5 Silver, 4 Bronze on the Olympics.

Offline Quantum Burrito

• K.C. Munchkin Maestro
  • Up, Down, Strange, Charm, Top, Bottom, Burrito
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2006, 11:44:59 am »
Will calls the UFO your 'avatar' for the space stage and also says that he stages all have different editors, from this it would seem that the UFO is you, and you no longer have the vehicle editor; plus the fact that spore is the best 20% of several games, not 80% generic space RTS.

Think about it, do you really see will wright making something like Homeworld?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2006, 11:52:36 am by Quantum Burrito »
Quote from: The Will
In a movie, one can always pull back and condemn the character or the artist ... But in playing a game ... we can be encouraged to examine our own values by seeing how we behave within virtual space.
tl;dr. But with all those shiny symbols and numbers it's probably awsome.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2006, 12:04:46 pm »
weve had several dicussions concerning space fleets in the past. i think its unlikely youll get another UFO, that would just be stupid. But I guess some space age units wouldnt be out of the question.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline DoggySpew

• Scramble Skipper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2006, 12:07:05 pm »
Will calls the UFO your 'avatar' for the space stage and also says that he stages all have different editors, from this it would seem that the UFO is you, and you no longer have the vehicle editor; plus the fact that spore is the best 20% of several games, not 80% generic space RTS.

Think about it, do you really see will wright making something like Homeworld?

But he did say that you could do spacebattles, having your versions of the Borg or Klingons attacks others. 20% of space RTS could give us that.
20% Pacman 20% Diablo 20% Populeus 20% Civilisation 20% Space RTS (Yes, that's 120%)

http://www.spore.com/view/profile/DoggySpew

7 Gold, 5 Silver, 4 Bronze on the Olympics.

Offline Quantum Burrito

• K.C. Munchkin Maestro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2006, 12:41:04 pm »
No, he said you could have battles. just battles. Not in space, it could be your UFO attacking a planet, and with the atillery a UFO has, just attacking a planet with one UFO would be both doable and simpler.

Steve, if you're reading this, you met will, you know the general track he's going down, would you mind chipping in your 2 cents about the multi-UFO thing? (or even the over-complication thing in general)
In a movie, one can always pull back and condemn the character or the artist ... But in playing a game ... we can be encouraged to examine our own values by seeing how we behave within virtual space.

Offline crippits

• Donkey Kong King
  • Insert Llama noise here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2006, 02:12:35 pm »
i also don't think you will have multiple UFOs.  I realize that the video is not the final production, but Will was only operating the one UFO.

Bow before the Llamas! They demand your respect!

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2006, 02:13:52 pm »
Having more than one defies its purpose. Its like playing say Age of Empires and saying, I want to control another camera! It doesnt even make sense. At UFO stage you ARE the UFO.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Henry

• Video Pinball Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2006, 03:00:43 pm »
That would actually be very boring in the space part if the only thing you controlled was the UFO. I mean we know that it is possible to create alliances and start wars, and space is basically the begining of a much larger part of the game. So we must assume that we can control other units in space.

Offline vbGamer

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2006, 03:23:55 pm »
This has me thinking about how the "space" part of the game will be created. I hope it will be something like "Homeworld" where you create a huge army of spaceships to combat another huge army of spaceships. I don't think that the UFO will be the only spacecraft in the game, or else space will be a bit boring.

The AI creatures won't have UFOs. I read Wil Wright mentioned that somewhere, so I'm not sure if you'll have battle fleets, since there wouldn't be anythign to use them for.

Offline Henqix

• Stargate Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2006, 03:43:31 pm »
The UFO will be your multitool in space-stage were you have all the tools for terraforming and stuff. So it wouldn't make any sense to have several of it, but just as you have tanks and helicopters in city/civ-stage you should have something equal to that in space.
Spaceships with the purpose of defending or attacking planets or trading and maybe other things. And the computer should have them too so we could have space battles.
Plus I want to design my own space fleet. :)

Offline Quantum Burrito

• K.C. Munchkin Maestro
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2006, 03:48:02 pm »
That would actually be very boring in the space part if the only thing you controlled was the UFO. I mean we know that it is possible to create alliances and start wars, and space is basically the begining of a much larger part of the game. So we must assume that we can control other units in space.

Pretentious... piece of... um... dog poop!

alxian, the last

SPORE NEEDS WAR!!!!
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2006, 04:36:33 pm »
that kind of thinking fried black and white 2.. it traded your creature for bloodlust. your creature was the soul of black and white.

but, that is not the case with SPORE, its soul is galactic conquest. Will claims you lose your creature on your way up so its nothing that will affect a player. not as much as seeing your pet in black and white turn in to nothing much more than a sprite that you point to and click on.

also since we KNOW SPORE has much more to offer, than mere galactic conquest for its sake alone and isn't just another space RTS, the lack of space battles like fragile allegiance/ascendancy/starcraft 2 (which could fill the void if SPORE misses its mark), would be criminally negligent on wrights part. a failure.. much like peters BW2. shame like that could break a man.... could break a developer...

i must agree that the game can only be 20% of other games to be practical to most users but... once you get to the space level and have done so much to build up your deck of cards (system of worlds).. doesn't it just make sense to want to smash it? risk war with a powerful ally?

why? FOR THE SPOILS!, why trade with 'em if you can wipe them from their planets and pilfer their resources for your own gain.

you know they are only biding their time until they can do it back to you...

when you've built up a nice city in SimCity do you not at some point save it, and then level it with as many disasters as possible?

and no person can be satisfied with a solitary emmissary doing the job in one planet smashing kaboom, HOW BORING, you send an armada with several hundred EARTH SHATERING KABOOMS. just to make sure the job is accomplished. hundreds of ships of various sizes and functions. along with supply vessels and colinization vessels. the way the gdce video made it seem, 20% of that means one ship, an army of one, to decide the fate of an entire planet, interplanetary cloister. i simply can't reconcile that level of simplification in the sim that will define all those that will follow it.

thus, SPORE NEEDS WAR!!!!

what more fun a disaster, destabilizers, blast of refreshing gameplay from a... maxis title, could there be for SPORE than an alien invasion simulation, incited by the player or by the machine controlled race that hides behind the galactic core until you've become just enough of a threat to its existance.. causing it to become a malignant blight upon the galaxy, feeding off of every planet and civilization between you and its survival. all for the sole purpose of your erradication. *bloodlust.

along with resources and scarcity i think i'll now try to champion interplanetay warfare.

why? because i miss fragile allegiance and ascendancy that much and believe its entirely within maxis' resources abilitites and best interest to include interplanetary warfare.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2006, 04:57:09 pm by alxian, the last »

Offline Quantum Burrito

• K.C. Munchkin Maestro
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2006, 04:56:59 pm »
Did it ever cross your mind that with the interstellar zoo/diplomacy/uplifting that Will Wright might be aiming for something different than a game to fill your need for space RTSs?

UFO = you
Spore != fragile allegiance

There is no need for more that one UFO, it is your swiss army knife, your avatar, the method through which you communicate your actions;

no person can be satisfied with a solitary emmissary doing the job in one planet smashing kaboom
Yes, they can. They are called Spore players.

20% of that means one ship, an army of one, to decide the fate of an entire planet, interplanetary cloister. i simply can't reconcile that level of simplification in the sim that will define all those that will follow it

Why not? Because you want a space RTS? Simplification is good! Did you listen to none of the GDC speech? Spore is the first, in any case; the games made to copy the first invariably overcomplicate their copies; as the pilot spore needs to be simple; and in a game that is mixing so many genres, how can you think that complexifying the stages will help its sales? It needs simplicity to work.

the lack of space battles like fragile allegiance/ascendancy/starcraft 2 (which could fill the void if SPORE misses its mark), would be criminally negligent on wrights part.

Yes. if this were a space RTS. It is not! The mark you are thinking of is not Spore's goal, it is your goal. You want a space RTS; Will Wright wants Spore.

alxian, the last

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2006, 05:00:33 pm »
i'll need more than one reply before i knuckle this point under

Who wants Frag to live once more within, and not through, SPORE?

and

Who wants SPORE to be 'my first galactic conquest' sim?

------

also the question has not yet adequately been answered

if your systems manage interplanetary trade... HOW?

why can't those simplified trade ships be made into warships?

if you can have vehicles do battle on a planet you aren't adding anything to the simulation by having those same vehicles scale up to the interplanetary scale. once you have trade vehicles, you have vehicles capable of waging war.

technically the point is moot, only the level of user control is in question. while still important its made less so if space vehicles designed and built for war can be constructed by planets on their own to protect themselves.

------

i find it supremely funny that BW2 failed by being an rts, while spore could benefit from it but might shy away.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2006, 05:09:28 pm by alxian, the last »