Author Topic: 'Pokedex' For Spore  (Read 10466 times)

Offline Caltrop

• Defender Devotee
    • View Profile
'Pokedex' For Spore
« on: January 17, 2006, 02:26:12 am »
How about this idea? It is an in-game 'sporeopedia' that tracks all creatures you have encountered. It would include the creature's name, and any bio info the creator wanted to stick in, as well as a picture of it. Perhaps also a button to warp you to the closest one of these creatures on the game-map or somthing?

This sporeopedia of course, would be fully custumizable. For example, if you encounter the Phallostrich on some far-off planet, you can either rename it and change the explicit bio, or even kick the creature from the 'dex. Thoughts?

Spore RPG: http://www.gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=2069.0

STRAWBERRYCLOCK IS KING OF THE PORTAL

Offline Gauphastus

• Ice Climber
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
Re: 'Pokedex' For Spore
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2006, 02:38:48 am »
Yes, I was hoping for something along those lines.
Even if it isn't in the game, I do plan on cataloguing a few notable creatures on my own (picture, behavior, habitat, other info if possible).

I do like the idea of going on sort of a galactic data collection; it would be endless, which means plenty of collecting.
"Ma all the gods of furious strong be with you as you crunch opposents, and live like a windrammer as you f**k."
       ~Ricky Wangstrom

Offline Dake

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
  • All your SPORE are belong to us!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2006, 03:01:38 am »
Thats such a brilliant idea that i dont have any doubts that is one of the many Space medi games you can do at the UFO stage.

Offline Henqix

• Stargate Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2006, 03:56:33 am »
Thats a great idea.

Offline Henry

• Video Pinball Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2006, 04:07:49 am »
Definately, I'd love this. And hopefully you'd be able to let it walk around like in the presentation when Will was showcasing his creatures. That would be alot more fun than a picture :) Also, this very well may make it in, because we will be able to genetically alter other races.

Offline huggkruka

• Space Ace
  • Totally powers
    • View Profile
    • My Digitalart.org profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2006, 05:47:27 am »
When you're advanced enough, the Sporepedia could also hold DNA samples of the creatures you've abducted...

Offline Deilands

• Brain Games Mastermind
  • "Are we all just genomes in a database?"
    • View Profile
    • My own personal Blog.
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2006, 05:59:12 am »
My very own hitchikers guide :) We'll record their existence right before we blow up the planet to build a highway. Yay.

-Dei
"The danger from computers is not that they will eventually get as smart as men, but we will meanwhile agree to meet them halfway."  -Bernard Avishai

Offline Borogove

• Venture Conqueror
  • mimsy: adj. - flimsy and miserable :(
    • View Profile
    • Meyermike.com
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2006, 06:34:49 am »
Fantastic idea, Caltrop!
Use those talents you have. You will make it. You will give joy to the world. Take this tip from nature: The woods would be a very silent place if no birds sang except those who sang best.
-- Bernard Meltzer

Check out my games:  http://www.meyermike.com

Offline Varsity

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2006, 09:31:25 am »
Wow, that would be nice... A floating representation of it, so you can see it from all sides.

Or how about a tiny zoo inside your UFO? That you float through, showing the different kinds of animals...

This could be used to see what kind of effects different aliens can be subjected to, like different climates, different predators, etc.
XYZZY!

Offline happydan20

• Venture Conqueror
  • Discovered the "everything syndrome."
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2006, 10:27:25 am »
if only one idea from this forum ever makes it into the dev's heads, this is it
I survived the flood of 2008 and all I got was this crappy homelessness.

Offline Evildude

• Dragster Diehard
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2006, 10:36:23 am »
Yeah, a Wikipedia type of thing would be great. It would be great if some people started to draft a site for it.
I need a sig because the lack of one annoys me.
Life, the Universe, and Everything
http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Evildude

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2006, 02:58:47 pm »
I like the hitchikers guide idea :D

Offline vbGamer

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2006, 03:27:21 pm »
I'd perfer the term "Biosphedia" (biosphere encyclopedia -- or Sporipedia).

Anyway, I'm pretty sure there'll be an index of some kind where you can view everyone's creatures, or just your own. A database is pretty customizable in that you can select just about anything you want.

alxian, the last

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2006, 04:10:33 pm »
i think it would make the perfect excuse to buy a psp.

if they had a pocket sized spore that could be used via wireless to earn EP/$ during ones commute.

add a "Magnus Sporidium"/"Grimorum Sporidium" index to it to actually be able to browse and perfect creatures would be so awesome.

it would revive the digipet craze all over again.

Offline Sub

• Time Pilot Trekker
  • End is tough.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2006, 06:32:36 pm »
Kind of like the civilopedia from Civilization?  I'm personally all for it.  I loved that thing in that game.

alxian, the last

« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2006, 06:54:57 pm »
its kinda sad though, after gamers have a few months with it there might be so much content only the most popular stuff will remain. meaning any type of archive that hopes to retain all the distictiveness created by all users will become quite big too big o browse idly, much like the sims community.

with sims at least meshes were reserved for the skilled, here anyone can modify a mesh, buildings vehicles etc.. the explosion of user created content will be overwhelming.

what i mean to say is indexing it will be a task and a half.

plus with all these shades of grey that creatures can become, how exactly can you index them? technically you can have the same type of creature duplicated several thousand times with minor differences. you'd see the same creature rebuilt everywhere because the user wants to be popular rather than rebuilding a new creature from scratch... or simply likes a certain creature style and keeps building virtually the same body type repeatedly. the user would simply have to tweak the diet, legs, mouth etc on each version of the same basic creature, then just keep uploading every variation.

Offline Borogove

• Venture Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Meyermike.com
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2006, 07:34:58 pm »
Possibly, but my experience in CoH/CoV suggests that people wil actually rather try to be somewhat creative OR copy something from outside the game, like cartoon characters or celebrities.

Remind me to make a race of Willem Dafoe caricatures... scariest alien ever!
Use those talents you have. You will make it. You will give joy to the world. Take this tip from nature: The woods would be a very silent place if no birds sang except those who sang best.
-- Bernard Meltzer

Offline happydan20

• Venture Conqueror
  • Discovered the "everything syndrome."
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2006, 07:51:10 pm »
its certainly a concern, but with the server dynamically downloading content, hopefully people will still vote for random things enough so that there wont be an elite list.  Another solution would be to wipe the scoring every so often, some net lists do that. Although I cant see that happening.
I survived the flood of 2008 and all I got was this crappy homelessness.

Offline Evildude

• Dragster Diehard
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2006, 10:08:29 pm »
Yeah, for exemple, how many people are going to try to make extremely carnivourous carebears now? I'm going to go out of a limb and say anywhere from 1/6 to 1/3(probably less, but I guess you can factor in people that don't post here but will attempt to make it anyway) of the people here will at least attempt it. Same goes for the Willosaur.

So chances are, there will be a lot of identical content of the database.

I guess a system can implamented in which the database weeds out simaliar things every so often (once a week or once a month seem to be the most logical choices). Add in a few total (or almost total) wipes of the server in every so often, and we should be good, or at least to an acceptable state.

Although the situation of running into a group of carebears on another planet with your carebears would be very interesting to see how changes in the enviroment changed the bears there. For exemple, you could be Dr. Suese type carebears out to spread peace, love, and rock'n'roll(Hey, carebears need to party also), but the other bears could of built over the entire surface of the planet and are bent on intergalatic domination. What would happen if bears of those two cultures mixed? Would we get bi-polar bears? I think I'm starting to wander off topic now....

Offline Borogove

• Venture Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Meyermike.com
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2006, 10:11:38 pm »
-- Bernard Meltzer

Offline Evildude

• Dragster Diehard
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2006, 10:19:34 pm »
Hehehehe....I didn't noticed that.....
 :o
Err..... I mean that was totally intential, gasp in awe at my amazing wit!!

Offline Wahh

• Defender Devotee
  • Dubbed Sigmund Wahh as well as El Cerebro Sucio
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2006, 06:20:42 pm »
Should we really bring up anything with the word "poke" in this forum?

This guy's songs are freaking awesome! Just look at that earbean picture as my avatar!
www.songstowearpantsto.com

Offline mythicalmonk

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2006, 06:45:56 pm »
I would like the Sporeindex thing, but my own personal, not a community.  This way I won't be overcrowded with random things.  (Plus I can be all like, "Woah, I forgot about that thing!" and all.)

Offline SimEarth Freak

• Fishing Derby Champion
  • Trichordates are now sentient
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2006, 07:56:22 pm »
I would like the Sporeindex thing, but my own personal, not a community. This way I won't be overcrowded with random things. (Plus I can be all like, "Woah, I forgot about that thing!" and all.)

Yeah that's what I'd like too.  Simply some kind of journal that allows you to record at catalogue everything you discover in the game.  You could go on a galactic fact finding mission aka "star trek" and do nothing but gather information.  Dammit - this idea would be so easy to implement - it would be stupid if they don't put it in the game.

HEY MAXIS - YOU BETTER PUT THIS IN THE GAME!!!

Offline Ghost

• Galaxian Guru
  • OMGWTFBQQ!! its the 1ee7 train!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2006, 08:19:54 pm »
yea i mean they said they will watch the site soo

" HEY WILL YOUR THE COOLEST EVER THANKS FOR MAKING SPORE " " WOOOO "

" ADD OUR THINGS THEN THE GAME WILL BE BETTER YEA!!!!"

i had to say that didnt i
anyway back to the topic
sugar and spice AND ALOT OF CHILLIE!

Offline The dome

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2006, 11:47:22 am »
That'd be sweet. You could use it as a search thingy also. Like type in a creators name and it comes up with all of their creations either that you have encountered in your game or that they ever created, or type in some specifications like size, herbivore/carnivore, land/air etc.
Member 712

Offline Ghost

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2006, 01:21:59 pm »
friendly or hostile...that would be cool and it would have a picture of everything like its skeleton and stuff

Offline DoggySpew

• Scramble Skipper
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2006, 01:33:04 pm »
Yeah, for exemple, how many people are going to try to make extremely carnivourous carebears now? I'm going to go out of a limb and say anywhere from 1/6 to 1/3(probably less, but I guess you can factor in people that don't post here but will attempt to make it anyway) of the people here will at least attempt it. Same goes for the Willosaur.

So chances are, there will be a lot of identical content of the database.

I guess a system can implamented in which the database weeds out simaliar things every so often (once a week or once a month seem to be the most logical choices). Add in a few total (or almost total) wipes of the server in every so often, and we should be good, or at least to an acceptable state.

Although the situation of running into a group of carebears on another planet with your carebears would be very interesting to see how changes in the enviroment changed the bears there. For exemple, you could be Dr. Suese type carebears out to spread peace, love, and rock'n'roll(Hey, carebears need to party also), but the other bears could of built over the entire surface of the planet and are bent on intergalatic domination. What would happen if bears of those two cultures mixed? Would we get bi-polar bears? I think I'm starting to wander off topic now....

Hmm, similar designs by different people will probably still look different from eachother. This said, in real life similar designs also occur. Just look at the variety of cat species on earth. So similar designs I don't have problems with. So a "Sporedex" with similar design species, would be natural and logical. There will allways be room for carebears (ESPECIALLY carnivorous carebears).

http://www.spore.com/view/profile/DoggySpew

7 Gold, 5 Silver, 4 Bronze on the Olympics.

Offline Ghost

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2006, 01:42:36 pm »
lol i want to see thoses in the game.. like go around and find a care bear biting your foot

"arrrgh!"

Offline Wahh

• Defender Devotee
  • Dubbed Sigmund Wahh as well as El Cerebro Sucio
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2006, 04:54:26 pm »
I hope you will be able to "bookmark" the creatures you really like and put them on your favorites.  It would be even better if you could then spawn any of the favorites on your list.

This guy's songs are freaking awesome! Just look at that earbean picture as my avatar!
www.songstowearpantsto.com

Offline Lord Janos

• Wizardry Whiz
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2006, 12:33:29 pm »
Sweet idea - i'd love this... i can imagine myself spending ages just looking through all the creatures.

Offline ilikesanta

• Karateka Krazy
  • '06 Time Magizine Person of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2006, 11:01:27 am »
a catalog of some kind is needed for this game, crap i just thought if even just 100,000 copies of this game gets sold, it will still take forever to grab all the creatures. I can't wait ;D
I need a new tag.
My Spore Creatures

Offline Vivec

• Gauntlet Wizard
  • The truth has vanished into darkness...
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2006, 11:21:58 am »
Even if 10 copies of the game are sold, and one of them is Hydro, it will take forever to find them all.
Vivec, you're the best forum member ever.

Offline P-break

• Brain Games Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2006, 05:11:01 am »
dunno, if everything is connected to a server
they could make an online catalog that updates every few days/weeks
Me = Superior - Inferior = You

Offline huggkruka

• Space Ace
  • Totally powers
    • View Profile
    • My Digitalart.org profile
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2006, 12:15:40 pm »
Aren't we talking about a local catalouge here? With the stuff you've seen in your current game?

alxian, the last

« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2006, 07:36:46 pm »
personally if it takes less than 3 days o max out the tech tree, with considerable effort, i'm going to just sit down and whip out content.

i suggest everyone do the same, generating a halftime flush during the super bowl effect, flooding maxis (or whomever will be tasked with master database mangement) with so much data (essentially snowflakes falling on a forest) that the MDB will crash. if it does crash i hope they rebuild it and expand it quickly.. :)

Offline P-break

• Brain Games Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2006, 03:57:44 am »
ow jeh, local catalogues would be better ;)
but it could still be server oriented i guess?
Me = Superior - Inferior = You