Author Topic: a new creature: Land Jellyfish (no actual name yet)  (Read 10025 times)

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
a new creature: Land Jellyfish (no actual name yet)
« on: January 16, 2006, 08:03:55 am »
This is a creature idea I made on that what will you make topic on GameFAQs, and I thought, it would be really cool to draw this. However I'll  have to draw it late. and this race is nonsentient.

The race I'm going to draw is a race of elephant sized land jellyfish, they will have a pancake shaped body that has a 10 feet wide frill which is conical and they have a large bulbous body in the middle where all the organs are and they have many thin legs that come out of that and on the bottom is a long trunk that snakes out up to 20 feet, has a razor sharp mouth on the end and there are 4 limbs sprouting out of it 2 feet behind the mouth and they have a deadly set of talons on them. when not searching for food or wants to rest the trunk, it just wraps it around one of its walking legs. oh yea, the trunk and the top of thier body and frill are covered in stinging nematocysts which are deadly toxic. Also, all species have a foot long tounge that comes out of the trunk mouth, this is used for scent, much in the way reptiles do.

I might make them smaller though because I realize the problem of supporting thier wieght. of course though it would work if most of the body was a thick membrane supported by rods or something and it lives on a lower gravity world.

I'll have to draw it after lunch. I might be able to do it on Jasc paintshop or something.

I have a few ideas on some species:

Swampland species: the most primitive of the group because they first evolved from creatures that lived in swamps, marshes and estuaries. They have a more dome shaped frill with a flattened top where the main body is and they grow up to 5 feet wide (when I refer to the body with these, I mean the large sack on the underside that contains most of the organs) and they have two nostrils on the top. The edge of the frill curves inward to act as a bell and help them float, but they can lift up one side of it so they can sink when they want to (they can hold thier breath for up to an hour bieng cold blooded). they have the 6 walking legs like they all do, but three toes are not in a triangle arrangement, instead they are arranged like a fan for swimming. The trunk is approx twice the widith of the body, up to 10 feet long as is the standard for all species. Plus thier skin is a mottled dark green and brown. They are ambush predators and like to either sit on the bottom mud or float on the surface and wait for prey. the 4 eyes, two on top and two on the bottom are black. they can stand (in the water, they don't walk on land too well) up to 3 feet tall.

Forest species: These would probably not seem to be related at first, but they are. These grow up to 5 feet tall, but because of the dense woodland habitat they look like thin cones because the frill is only 3 feet wide but the frill is flexible and quite elastic, partly to protect against punctures from branches and collisions and also to allow for more leg movement so they can be fast. They have the usual 4 eyes but the bottom pair are atrophied because there is less need for them and the top pair are enlarged and adapted for night vision. Thier trunk is 10 feet long, which seems a little out of the standard, but because of its adaptation to the dense environment the frill had to get smaller, however there was no need to make the trunk shorter. Like thier swamplands cousin, they are mottled with green and brown. They more actively hunt prey in that they follow a preys scent and then try to ambush but will chase prey

Jungle species: These are closely related to the forest species, except they are about 2 feet tall and the frill is two feet wide, they also have longer legs with strong claws on each foot which help them climb trees. Thier 4 foot long trunk is also prehensile and the trunk claws help with climbing. They tend to be arboreal and use ambush tactics, but if they see prey on the ground they will try to jump on top of it or chase after it. Thier skin is mainly green with light blotches.

Grassland/Savannah/Plains species: This is the species I first mentioned at the very top. They are the largest, measuring up to 8 feet tall with a 10 foot wide frill and having a 20 foot long trunk. They have long legs adapted to giving them speed and they run in a galloping motion. They have tan skin with vertical markings to blend in with the grass and a common tactic is to 'sit' with the edge of the frill a few inches off of the ground and sway with the wind. These are one of the more active species in that they follow the scent of prey and when they see the prey close by they will crouch down and wait for the right moment and ambush in a burst of speed, drooling snapping trunkmouth, and snapping trunk claws.

Desert species: the smallest and most active of them, thier ancestry is unclear. These are a foot high have a foot wide body and it is slightly dome shaped but still only slightly under horizontal, the trunk is around 4 feet long, partly an adaptation to reach inside burrows and to extend thier reach because desert carnivores can't be too picky. The legs are long and have spade shaped feet to help them dig into the sand, a tactic they use to beat the desert heat is to create a burrow with a chamber which they use during they day (they are nocturnal hunters) and it usually uses the same one every day, although there can be several burrows in its territory. Thier skin is a sandy color, typical desert camoflauge.

Offline Vivec

• Gauntlet Wizard
  • The truth has vanished into darkness...
    • View Profile
Re: a new creature: Land Jellyfish (no actual name yet)
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2006, 08:14:32 am »
So, it's kinda like the netch of Morrowind, but with a weird mouth?
Vivec, you're the best forum member ever.

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2006, 08:18:17 am »
I've never played Morrowind.

its just a wierd yet cool idea that popped up in my head yesterday.

Offline Vivec

• Gauntlet Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2006, 09:56:27 am »
A female netch:

They float by the way.

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2006, 10:22:36 am »
thats hardly pancake shaped.

what I was describing would look like a jellyfish with leathery skin when viewed from the outside. and none of them have flotation bladders and float in the air. The swamplands species only floats because of trapped air underneath its frill. plus the legs are jointed and look insectoid on all species.

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2006, 04:19:13 pm »
Neat!  ;D

Offline Wahh

• Defender Devotee
  • Dubbed Sigmund Wahh as well as El Cerebro Sucio
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2006, 06:09:09 pm »
I love the netch on morrowind, but you've got to watch out for the bull netch, they're much bigger than that puny female netch there.

This guy's songs are freaking awesome! Just look at that earbean picture as my avatar!
www.songstowearpantsto.com

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2006, 06:06:51 am »
umm, the females are tougher. The netch look like a rip-off of Metroid to me though.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2006, 03:37:58 pm »
here is a pic (although a badly drawn one compared to the best artists here) of what they generally look like. This is kind of the plains/grasslands species:

I tried to use Jasc paintshop, but I kept having to deal with all kinds of settings and crap about layers so I got frustrated and used MS paint.

Offline Vivec

• Gauntlet Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2006, 05:03:53 pm »
So, not very netch shaped at all.
umm, the females are tougher. The netch look like a rip-off of Metroid to me though.

And Sam is right Wahh.

Offline Mr. Wizard

• Karate Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2006, 05:07:37 pm »
Vivec should know.

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2006, 05:26:46 pm »
I'll try and make one that shows what it looks like under the frill tomorrow, this just shows the external view.

I also want to make one showing thier internal structure, I have a few good ideas of how it would look, but I'm not sure what would make the most sense as far as structure. laid out flat on the ground, the creatures body would resemble a disk with a bulge in the middle which contains the vital organs and where the legs and trunk come out of. I was planning on having the structural components be made out of something resembling cartilage because they evolved on a different path than developing bone for the skeletal structure.

Offline Vivec

• Gauntlet Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2006, 06:14:20 pm »
Vivec should know.

Naah, never even heard of Morrowind.   8)

Offline huggkruka

• Space Ace
  • Totally powers
    • View Profile
    • My Digitalart.org profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2006, 06:14:15 am »
I could try making a picture if you want.

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2006, 06:44:07 am »
yea, you could try one. if you are doing the skeletal parts, I was going to have either struts coming out vertically from the main body to support the frill and then have smaller horizontal parts in between or have there just be semicircular pieces throughout the frill, but you can use whatever makes the most sense structurally.

the reason why I want them to use something like cartilage or some strong fibres is because they evolved so that they are lightwieght and so that the frill is flexible. which is why the grasslands/plains species can be large and yet fast.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2006, 06:45:55 am by smjjames »

Offline huggkruka

• Space Ace
  • Totally powers
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2006, 07:51:40 am »
A skeleton for a yellyfish  :P That's a new one. I'll just draw the exterior first, OK?

Offline huggkruka

• Space Ace
  • Totally powers
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2006, 08:04:59 am »
Thar' you go smjjames. The main body is a bit flatter than your sketch, but I hope it fits you. If there's anything very wrong, just say and I'll see if I can fix it.

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2006, 12:51:17 pm »
technically they aren't even closely related to what would be a jellyfish. thier ancestor would resemble a mollusc with arthropod style legs, while that common ancestor did have a shell (it wasn't made of calcium like earth molluscs use), after they started inhabiting shallow estuaries and swamps that shell shrank in favor of leathery skin with the stinging cells and the shell became structural support.

as for that pic, it could work for the swamplands species, although the mouth is a little out of poportion, but its ok.

I kinda wanted to use 6 or 8 legs for the one I made, but didn't for some reason, probably because it would clutter wierdly. I could just claim the other 3 or 4 are behind those that you do see.

Offline Wahh

• Defender Devotee
  • Dubbed Sigmund Wahh as well as El Cerebro Sucio
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2006, 05:23:19 pm »
I should hope the primary god of Morrowind should know about the game.  ;)  Perhaps I should rephrase my statement:  the bull netch are bigger than the others.

This guy's songs are freaking awesome! Just look at that earbean picture as my avatar!
www.songstowearpantsto.com

Offline Ghost

• Galaxian Guru
  • OMGWTFBQQ!! its the 1ee7 train!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2006, 08:47:56 pm »
WHAT??? you make no sensee mon

anyways i like your creature smjjames its cool but wouldnt it get tired holding up its mouth all day?
sugar and spice AND ALOT OF CHILLIE!

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2006, 09:00:32 pm »
I think I said earlier it can wrap the trunk around one of its limbs when its walking or just let it rest on the ground when not doing anything. the trunk works in the same way as an elephants trunk, it has the same sort of musculature.