Author Topic: 18 killed in U.S. air strike on village in Pakistan  (Read 9006 times)

Offline Borogove

• Venture Conqueror
  • mimsy: adj. - flimsy and miserable :(
    • View Profile
    • Meyermike.com
Re: 18 killed in U.S. air strike on village in Pakistan
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2006, 09:41:28 pm »
Ok. You think the way things are being done is bad.  Well, you're probably right.

What would you change about American foreign policy?  That's really a much more important and interesting discussion than the history of stuff you don't like about the U.S.
Use those talents you have. You will make it. You will give joy to the world. Take this tip from nature: The woods would be a very silent place if no birds sang except those who sang best.
-- Bernard Meltzer

Check out my games:  http://www.meyermike.com

Offline Golgrig

• Star Castle Cadet
  • I am Will Wright's complete lack of suprise.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2006, 09:50:44 pm »
Crash course us to energy independence.....ha ha ha!
actually recognize the economics of a global market instead of legislating it....ha ha ha!

but seriously what about the dead Pakistanis do they care do they matter or do they become statistics?
12 miners in America or 18+ innocents in Pakistan?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2006, 09:57:18 pm by golgrig »
"6.4 Um's per minute" or "The Speed of Wright

An adventurer in the land of who gives a ****

The idea is to mix one ingredient that will burn very fast with a second ingredient that will supply enough oxygen for that burning. This burns so fast, it's an explosion.

Offline syphonbyte

• Moon Patroller
  • You know what the payment is...
    • View Profile
    • The Village of Fools
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2006, 10:01:56 pm »
List of countries the U.S. has helped:

http://www.census.gov/prod/99pubs/99statab/sec28.pdf

Page 12.

One problem with U.S. foreign policy is that nobody in the government is united behind one idea, so we end up with different people controlling the government at different times, which causes changes in foreign policy every decade or so, which is quite fast, relatively speaking. That's one of the reasons that we end up with atrocities; because one group acts without telling anybody else, and they just go off and kill people. My Lai, anybody?

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2006, 12:47:22 am »
Yeah I was thinking about changing that... "anarchist" is a tad rough... but it was all I could think of.

Still... he seems to carry an Anti-American slant...

Yeah we have made some mistakes and done some really bad things but we have done so many good things for the world too...

I'd say hes just naive... its the way the world works, get used to it ;)
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline LadyM

• Mortal Kombat Konqueror
  • I'm not confused anymore
    • View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2006, 04:23:00 am »
I'm going to interject one comment. It's easy for any of us to sit back and criticize our President and our government and complain about the decisions that are made but none of us know what his life is like and what he has to deal with on a daily basis. I would not want his job or have to make the decisions he makes.  Unless you are walking in his shoes and have the information he is he is given on a daily basis, how can you say what would have been a better choice?

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
  • Now for some real user power...
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2006, 04:36:45 am »
I'm curious if the nay-sayers would compare and contrast the USA's actions over the last 230years to those actions of other powerful nations over the same time frame. The USA has less ability to hide what they do due to the way we are setup with our freedoms. So, how do countries like France, England, Russian (or the soviet Union before them), Germany (in almost any of its forms), China, Japan, Spain, etc... compare in track record?

Should we narrow it down some? The USA has the largest military budget of any nation in the world. Second place is France. Why would that be do you think? hmmm

-Lego

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2006, 05:09:41 am »
The overall attitude of the American Government is somewhat outdated. maybe because it is a "younger" country. In the days of the colonies and the British empire it was "acceptable" to massacre ethnic minorities and steal their oil and their land, today it isnt. It may take a while but eventually people will realise that invading places causes trouble. In the mean time i dont particularly think they are doing a bad job of what theyre doing, but it could have been handled better on all sides at the start.

Offline Interitus

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • You just blipped on my radar
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2006, 01:31:17 pm »
I'm curious if the nay-sayers would compare and contrast the USA's actions over the last 230years to those actions of other powerful nations over the same time frame. The USA has less ability to hide what they do due to the way we are setup with our freedoms. So, how do countries like France, England, Russian (or the soviet Union before them), Germany (in almost any of its forms), China, Japan, Spain, etc... compare in track record?

Should we narrow it down some? The USA has the largest military budget of any nation in the world. Second place is France. Why would that be do you think? hmmm

-Lego

But you can't justify it by saying they got to kill X million amount of people, we should too.

The overall attitude of the American Government is somewhat outdated. maybe because it is a "younger" country. In the days of the colonies and the British empire it was "acceptable" to massacre ethnic minorities and steal their oil and their land, today it isnt. It may take a while but eventually people will realise that invading places causes trouble. In the mean time i dont particularly think they are doing a bad job of what theyre doing, but it could have been handled better on all sides at the start.

No, the American government isn't outdated, it's broken. Having only two parties destroys any form of government. It's one or the other.

And to the actual topic of Pakistan, here's something to chew on. Where do terrorists come from? Perhaps from innocent people who lost their families from a US airstrike. I have a feeling mistakes like that have the potential to be much more deadly.
My karma ran over your dogma

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2006, 01:35:04 pm »
England basically has a two party system and it isnt too broken. As soon as any party comes to power it tends to slowly shift towards being Center-right :P

Offline 762

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2006, 01:35:14 pm »
Normally I would, but I'm not getting into this discussion. It's moving too fast for me to get into.

Also, I'm am dumbfounded at how much of a prik LoreAlmighty can be.

Spore countdowns: USA Europe