Author Topic: Another creature thingus-Avloxin  (Read 7233 times)

Offline GrrrArrgh

• Venture Conqueror
    • View Profile
Another creature thingus-Avloxin
« on: January 13, 2006, 08:34:26 pm »
Ok, since so many of these are popping up now and there's at least one other person who can't draw that's contributed I'm going to join the fun and toss one of my own out there. Unfortunately I can't draw worth beans, I'm much more adept at writing.

The Avloxin are a reptilian species that inhabit a large desert style planet. With an average height of around 6'5" at the shoulders, plus an additional 10" long serpentine neck. Heights can vary somewhat anywhere from 7' to 9' depending on actual body size and neck length. They have two arms and two legs, five fingered hands tipped with black claws, and tails at least 4' in length. Feet are three large hoof-like claws positioned like talons(two in front, one in back). Bodies are covered in durable scales that come in a variety of colors and each Avloxin has two tusks protruding from its lower jaw that also vary in size and curvature, average 4". Females would have shorter tusks or none at all. Most males have relatively muscular sturdy builds. Heads are elongated, more akin to dragon than lizard or snake. And they have two eyes which of course also vary in color.

And I'll make the same offer here, if any of you arsty types wants to try drawing this creature feel free. I and I'm sure any of us other wordy people would appreciate the effort. If there's any interest I'll also add some more info on the Avloxin over time.

There is a method to my madness. That method is in and of itself quite mad, but it is method nonetheless.

Offline huggkruka

• Space Ace
  • Totally powers
    • View Profile
    • My Digitalart.org profile
Re: Another creature thingus-Avloxin
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2006, 01:30:12 am »
I'm afraid to draw other people's creatures like this... Feels like everyone will wan't one and it's at least 8 months until Spore comes out... :-X

EDIT: Ah what the hell. I was bored anyway.

Please find a place to host the file yourself. My webhost is pretty small.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2006, 07:37:26 am by huggkruka »

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2006, 02:44:28 pm »
Mice work :D

<cough>Cryoeltans!!!<cough>

Edit: Curse the Qwerty keyboard! I'll keep the typo in for comic value ::)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2006, 07:59:52 am by Krakow Sam »
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline GrrrArrgh

• Venture Conqueror
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2006, 03:22:27 pm »
I'm afraid to draw other people's creatures like this... Feels like everyone will wan't one and it's at least 8 months until Spore comes out... :-X

EDIT: Ah what the hell. I was bored anyway.

Please find a place to host the file yourself. My webhost is pretty small.

Great job on the picture, thanks! A little on the scrawny side, but a worthy rendition nonetheless.

Mice work :D

<cough>Cryoeltans!!!<cough>

Mice work, huh? These cryoeltan guys are getting plugged so much now I'm curious to see one too.
There is a method to my madness. That method is in and of itself quite mad, but it is method nonetheless.

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2006, 04:01:36 pm »
huggkruka you draw great you should draw more people's stuff. These are great!

Offline Sparr

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2006, 04:23:11 pm »
What are these Cryoletean things everyone keeps whinning about?

Offline Caltrop

• Defender Devotee
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2006, 05:03:49 pm »
Spore RPG: http://www.gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=2069.0

STRAWBERRYCLOCK IS KING OF THE PORTAL

Offline huggkruka

• Space Ace
  • Totally powers
    • View Profile
    • My Digitalart.org profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2006, 11:55:49 pm »
What are these Cryoletean things everyone keeps whinning about?

That's just what I thought.

Offline Derk

• Space Invaders Junkie
  • My TEEF!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2006, 02:26:24 pm »
there's at least one other person who can't draw that's contributed
Hey! speak for yourself. My drawings are kick ass.
Four Feet Good, Two Feet Bad!

Offline GrrrArrgh

• Venture Conqueror
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2006, 02:33:25 pm »
there's at least one other person who can't draw that's contributed
Hey! speak for yourself. My drawings are kick ass.

Err, I was speaking for myself. And Deilands. Us wordy folk what can't draw the pertty pictures. I also said that like a month ago, where have you been?

Offline Derk

• Space Invaders Junkie
  • My TEEF!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2006, 08:39:56 pm »
sorry I'm just being an idiot ;D
Four Feet Good, Two Feet Bad!

Offline GrrrArrgh

• Venture Conqueror
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2006, 05:27:24 pm »
Alright this may not all be very well organized, but I know I said I'd add more info at some point or another, so here's some more:

On the Avloxin homeworld: Zorn is a large primarily desert planet, extreme desert. No natural oceans though there are some lakes and smaller bodies of water scattered about sporadically around the planet. Rain is very rare. It's part of a binary star system and massive sandstorms often ravage the landscape, which occasionally also help to block out or filter the smaller sun and some of the heat.

On Avloxin civilization: Though a few other sentient species do exist the Avloxin were sort of the forerunners of the planet. They were the first to actually explore, spread, make contact with other species and devise ways to advance in the harsh environment rather than hide from it. They live in different areas of the planet in village structured establishments of varying size and mostly hut style housing. In the center of each village is a much larger hut belonging to a village chief, who attains such a position either by being the one to found the village, or challenging the previous chief's authority and defeating him in a duel. Or for those preferring more cutthroat methods, assassinating the previous chief and filling the temporary power vaccuum. Those chiefs who wish to remain living and keep their position for a while generally aquire a number of various resources to ensure they don't meet with any unfortunate "accidents". Surrounding every village is a storm perimeter, a barrier fence marking not only where the village territory ends, but how far the next sandstorm is likely to reach. It's still possible to wander outside these safe zones, but much less safe. With the creation of the villages came contact with other species and eventual trade. Others traveling the planet would come across the villages, staying and integrating themselves into the social structure finding their own niches when welcomed, or using them as safe havens from the storms and temporary stopping stations in their respective journeys. As such many Avloxin villages grow to be culturual hubs and the news networks of the world. Interconnected via wayfaring foreigners. One persistent legend that frequents village taverns is that somewhere there exists a full fledged city amidst a tropical paradise. A place where there are no storms, all the water runs above ground, and food is plentiful. But the ones telling the stories can never recall exactly where it is, and most who set out to find it return empty handed or don't return at all.

Offline GrrrArrgh

• Venture Conqueror
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2006, 10:56:43 pm »
Another tiny update, eventually I'll probably get around to more detailed information like everyone else has been doing. I just haven't had the time to sit down and really hack it out or even decide what to elaborate more on first. This post mainly pertains to some of the more integral species living on the Avloxin homeworld:

First off are the Gryklodians, a second sentient race who started out as and remain primarily cave dwellers. Culturally they're more like barbarians and have a mercenary mentality when it comes to peacefully interacting with other species. So long as you have something they want and are willing to exchange it for some service, they'll play nice until it gets boring. Physically they average between 7 to 9 feet in height with a lower body resembling a snake's and the upper bodies similar to the Avloxin(broad muscular build). Though they lack the serpentine neck and tusks. Also reptilian they have scales and eyes that can vary in color, and some develop spines running down along their backs or forward curving horns on their heads.

Next up the Zanthlaxians, third sentient species who started out living in caves and cliffs as well, but upon discovering the Avloxin villages have ventured out into the "wilderness". Of the three species they're the most diplomatic and least hostile, and outside of their original cliff dwellings can most commonly be found within Avloxin villages, often doing whatever odd jobs are offered to them and running trade routes. Also mostly reptilian they have two legs and four arms. The second pair are thinner than the main pair with only three fingers, a lighter shade of whatever color the scales are, and arch over the shoulders extending out the back of the shoulder blades of the main arms. They lack tails, have four eyes that are usually green, and more snake-like heads. They're also more slender than the other two species and average between 6 to 7 feet in height.

And now, the two and a half largest predators on Zorn, which primarily occupy a vast region of desert known as The Great Expanse.

The second to the top I haven't really thought of a name for yet, but it's a subterrestrial insect that resembles a centipede, with plate-like feet lining its body instead of legs and three extensions spread out along its back that resemble dorsal fins. They grow between 20 to 30 feet long and can burst up from the ground to jump through the air, its main hunting technique. Within its mandibles are two long grasping appendages on either side that can unfold and extend to help capture or hold prey. They have no eyes but use the plate feet and sensors on their heads to detect vibration and movement.

At the very top of the food chain and pretty likely to stay there is the Larg worm, the largest and most voracious predator to prowl underneath the deserts of Zorn. Giant white worms that reach lengths between 80 to 100 feet they also lack eyes, but like the previous beast can detect vibrations and movement via sensors running along either sides of their bodies. Their mouths are rounded lined with two rows of long sharp teeth, shorter in the back, and have a slightly extendable bite like a shark.

Then there are the grubbs, offspring of larg worms. Starting out between 4 to 5 feet long they're like the big ones, but with legs. Larg worm larvae have 5 thick, jointed legs on each side that let them run around above ground, and 3 eyes on either side of the head near the mouth that are mainly only good for seeing heat. As they age and grow the legs shrink and retract into their bodies, eventually becoming the motion sensors of the adult worms. Once they get to tunneling around the eyes become useless and are grown over.