Author Topic: Culid - My New Creature  (Read 6627 times)

Offline Samog

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • objectivists are dumb
    • View Profile
    • -
Culid - My New Creature
« on: January 12, 2006, 02:43:02 pm »
Remember when I said I was going to make one of these soon? (probably not.) Well, if you're playing Clash of the Clans right now, you know what I mean when I say "soon".

A Culid (adj. Culide, plural Culids) is basically a big fleshy sphere with a few layers of bone (kind of like a skull inside a skull) and an eye. Tentacles extend from the bottom and top, but the one on the top, which looks vaguely like a crab claw, detaches at a certain age. Culids are either born with five tentacles (including the one on top) or six (these are born without the clawed tentacle). The ones with five tentacles grow one new tentacle every year (the Culid calendar is based on the time between gaining the use of a new tentacle), but the six-limbed ones grow three. As social status is partially based upon apparent age, those born with six tentacles have an advantage--the downside (from our point of view) to this is that those with more limbs are valued precisely because they can do that much more work.

This young Culid is showing off his strength by standing on his tentacles--most Culids creep along the ground. His fifth tentacle, which is still growing, is curled up in a pouch (not visible) behind his back-equivalent. The tattoo above his eye is the Archaic Culide for "hammer".

An example of a Culide single-crew spaceship. Although the Culids have not yet developed an Interstellar Drive, they maintain radio contact with a nearby alliance, which led to their common language changing from Old Culide to Spacefarers' Culide. Culide ships are very complicated, and all pilots are required to have 25 or more tentacles.

Love it? Hate it? Zomg bandwagon? Take an art class? Discuss.

"Fine. Don't believe me. I'm not lying. all your laziness which you mistake for something funney is driving me insane, quit fooling around!  dude this is just wrong, very wrong. reality does not consist of constrained language. go lock this thread malt. I love the payment."4MOD

Offline Golgrig

• Star Castle Cadet
  • I am Will Wright's complete lack of suprise.
    • View Profile
Re: Culid - My New Creature
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2006, 03:00:12 pm »
needs some ears.....
"6.4 Um's per minute" or "The Speed of Wright

An adventurer in the land of who gives a ****

The idea is to mix one ingredient that will burn very fast with a second ingredient that will supply enough oxygen for that burning. This burns so fast, it's an explosion.

Offline Sparr

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2006, 04:19:47 pm »
I will say this. People seem to fixate on tentacles, when Will Wright himself was having trouble making them in Spore. Of course, this was an early build that he said would be more streamlined of course, but it's still a gamble at this point.

Offline Areku

• Defender Devotee
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2006, 09:36:35 pm »
I will say this. People seem to fixate on tentacles
Well thats true, but they are very unique and interesting concepts. As we have seen they can be used for everything from hands to feet to ways to swim. Now all we need are some Japanese schoolgirls...  ::)

Offline Golgrig

• Star Castle Cadet
  • I am Will Wright's complete lack of suprise.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2006, 10:12:03 pm »
I will say this. People seem to fixate on tentacles
not neccesarily legs/ arms with rigid internal structure offer more stability and fied points of attachment letting an animal learn exactly one way to walk/ move them , taking away complexity waisted on the spread out dexterity of a tentacle..... but they are cool

Well thats true, but they are very unique and interesting concepts. As we have seen they can be used for everything from hands to feet to ways to swim. Now all we need are some Japanese schoolgirls...  ::)

or a Steampunk submarine(nautilis)....... potty tentacle
"6.4 Um's per minute" or "The Speed of Wright

An adventurer in the land of who gives a ****

The idea is to mix one ingredient that will burn very fast with a second ingredient that will supply enough oxygen for that burning. This burns so fast, it's an explosion.

Offline huggkruka

• Space Ace
  • Totally powers
    • View Profile
    • My Digitalart.org profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2006, 10:38:16 pm »

Only if they are over 18, obviously.

Nice creature, Samog. The tentacle system you figured out makes me hope thye add them to the game.

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2006, 11:40:28 pm »
I used tenticles becuse its a mixture of squids, dolphins, raptor dinosaurs and parrots. They are all supose to be smart creatures so i thought it fitting. Also the culture is similar to humans (another smart animal  ;D).

Naucean is even a combo of Nautilus ( a type of squid) and Cetaceans the scientific name for whales.

« Last Edit: January 12, 2006, 11:42:11 pm by Hydromancerx »

Offline Samog

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • objectivists are dumb
    • View Profile
    • -
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2006, 09:51:18 pm »
Hey look, it's my old thread!

Here is an example of how too many tentacles on one thing can be really creepy, even without what this Culid is doing:

First of all, what appears to be a wound from the loss of the claw tentacle isn't a wound, but a hat that resembles one (if you look at it, it extends past the head). The spikes on the end of his tentacles are there to aid movement, and can also be used as weak weapons (Culid skulls are very strong). Culids create very complicated optical illusions, especially involving depth perception. As Culide body skin moves very little, skilled tattoo artists can ink very complicated designs that appear flat on the round head/body of a Culid (read: Samog is making stuff up to explain his crappy drawing). This Culid is a religious fanatic, and he has actually severed a tentacle with a blade crafted from his old claw as a form of sacrifice. Even as they slowly change their star system to meet their needs, blades and spikes are a very efficient method of combat, as more complicated hand-held weapons take more tentacles and are very difficult to aim and reload. On the end of the severed tentacle is a container. Culid communication at short ranges is largely through body language, here his tentacles imply strong pride. He is forcing the tentacle on passsers-by, and will soon be arrested. The religion is based strongly upon an attempted uplift by aliens, but the most important discoveries (to the Culids) were made where alien influence did not spread. One day there was a massive explosion in the sky, and they are told that one day the aliens that tried to directly help them will return.

Well, now that I've covered history, culture, and technology with one picture and a long rambling paragraph, here's a smaller picture and a short rambling paragraph:

This Culid is covering herself with her tentacles, which is largely instinctive. The "leather" stretched between her tentacles is very strong and largely transparent, making it useful for simple armor and protection from the elements.. Leather-making techniques are thousands of years old, but many of the secrets have been lost. The process involves hydrochloric acid, coal, denatured alcohol, electrum alloy, and lizards. According to legend, there was once a tanner blessed by the gods who made leather stronger than steel; it is likely that he was given some kind of nanobots (perhaps in return for a few tentacles, as the aliens did indeed collect lots of Culide tentacles for unknown purposes).
"Fine. Don't believe me. I'm not lying. all your laziness which you mistake for something funney is driving me insane, quit fooling around!  dude this is just wrong, very wrong. reality does not consist of constrained language. go lock this thread malt. I love the payment."4MOD

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2006, 10:11:08 pm »
um, when did they lose the head tentacle? I'd understand the added tentacles and all, but you had the head tentacle with the claw and now they don't.

is he going to be arrested for thier equivalent of begging for cash or panhandling or something?

Offline huggkruka

• Space Ace
  • Totally powers
    • View Profile
    • My Digitalart.org profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2006, 04:25:44 am »
Nice update Samog! I just wonder what happened to the head tentacle.

Offline Samog

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • objectivists are dumb
    • View Profile
    • -
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2006, 04:18:16 pm »
...but the one on the top, which looks vaguely like a crab claw, detaches at a certain age.

Offline Samog

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • objectivists are dumb
    • View Profile
    • -
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2006, 10:20:11 pm »
By the way, if you want to see a Culid show up in one of these crazy stories you kids are writing these days, you have to contact them first. Single star and all.

Also: The Culids are still sort of updated on SporeWiki. Sort of.

Offline Samog

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • objectivists are dumb
    • View Profile
    • -
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2006, 09:50:14 pm »
In case you were wondering why this and the SporeWiki pages are rarely updated, it's because a) I use SporeWiki now and b) HP makes some horrible scanners and Culid history won't make sense without a map and some drawings of cool pointy things.