2 (18.2%)
B
6 (54.5%)
C
3 (27.3%)
D
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Author Topic: Spore for the BBS: Revival of the Inceptus  (Read 34147 times)

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
Re: Spore for the BBS: Revival of the Inceptus
« Reply #165 on: March 01, 2006, 08:46:12 pm »
ok, I can edit the poll to re-allocate it.

I can't edit the poll numbers without resetting entirely, so just physically note the change here, which you did.

so its

A +1

D -1
« Last Edit: March 01, 2006, 08:48:04 pm by smjjames »

Offline operaghost21

• Rush'n Attacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: March 01, 2006, 10:13:47 pm »
I say D most definately...I always enjoy a good abandoned village mystery...
"You hate people!"
"But I love gatherings. Isn't that ironic?"
~Clerks
Quote from: Kaizer
THINGS TO DO:
Get quoted to a sig [ ]

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: March 02, 2006, 11:58:37 am »
The Cryoeltans agree to help uplift the Inceptus but ONLY with their consent first. The Ctritoks grudgingly accpet as they recently discovered a type of radioactive bacteria in the Aoriolis system which were very promising...
A taskforce is soon formed to drive the Torpal away from the Inceptus home system (The Holtaur system in sector SMJ139)... the Cryoeltans, the Empire and Ctritoks providing ships and the other alliance races serving as support (constructing ships and procuring supplies etc)
As usual the day before the attack the mysterious voice contacts Captain Indigo and cryptically tells him the best place to attack the Torpal (a refuelling station near the Gelphin Nebula).
Relaying this information to the other ships, the fleet is dispatched in that direction. A heated space battle follows. The cryoeltan vessels staying put and blast the enemy with lasers and other optical weaponry and launch Vacuum commandos. The Steel Empire use mainly small, fast vessels, which penetrate the enemies defenses. The eccentric Ctritoks attack wth bizzare and ridiculously hazardous weaponry (like the cannon that fires weird warping special effects that tears holes in metal hulls) and defend with equally bizzare methods (like releasing swarms of genetically enhanced space creatures to intercept fighters).
The battle is won (not without losses on the Alliance side), the Torpal fight to the death. The alliance fleet is later informed by the mystery voice that no torpal signal managed to reach their base of operations and as such they believe this sector is still under their control (being too preoccupied to check personally).
The fleet draws into the Holtaur system and enters orbit around the Inceptus homeworld. it is agreed that as the founder-members of the alliance that the cryoeltans should have the honour of making first contact.
A Cryoeltan jumpship cruises down towards the Palmyrian tower, under the sea which dominates the planet, and comes to a slow landing near a bewildered group of Inceptus. A hatch slowly opens on the ship and a vac-suited cryoeltan floats out and says: Something memorable... maybe there should be a contest to decide what he says without resorting to cliches .

I'll hand over to SMJ to write out the Inceptus' part of the story and their reactions and decisions. The vote can be on which of the 4 elligable races should be the Inceptus' mentor race. The cryoeltans (you know about these guys), The Asta (a fellow aquatic race, introverted and industrial), The Empire (robots, doy!) or the Ctritoks (under the careful gaze of the rest of the alliance races)       

(It is time!) sorry, I had to kick the Torpals' ass this time Opera...
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: March 02, 2006, 12:52:21 pm »
ok um, not quite sure what to write and this is just an exploration group of between 50-100. even though the choice ended up having them look at the telescope the fact that the battle is light years away means that they won't see it and with thier primitive telescope they would barely see the gas giants further out in thier system. but I guess they could sight the ships coming towards them, although they'd be specks of light.

That night the Inceptus try to figure out what the telescope could be looking at, they look through it for hours at a time with changing shifts, at one point in the early morning one of the observers sees a cluster of 'stars' which are moving quickly and shining brightly, but by the time that observer wakes up the others to look at it, the cluster of lights has dissapeared from view (they don't know it, but those points of lights are the various ships of the alliance), this leaves them puzzled and they decide to head back to camp and sleep the rest of the night.

Later that morning while they were cleaning up breakfast and starting to prepare for the day a strange object that is tear shaped and flattened somewhat with what would be landing fins and is about the length of a football field (thats American football, although I think rugby fields or british soccer (what Brits call football) fields are about the same size) enters the water near the tower and as they watch, it slowly moves towards the campsite area where they are (it takes a few minutes for it to get there). The strange craft settles some hundreds of yards away and as the Inceptus explorers watch nervously, even though the craft is different than the sketches they found they are wary, a porthole opens up on the bottom of the craft and a single strange figure slowly floats out. the figure looks unlike anything they have seen, one of the inceptus whispers (not really whisper, but its in that sense) "what kind of strange thing is that?" second inceptus, "I don't know, looks like an arthropod (actually the word they use for crustacean type animals) of some kind" inceptus 3, "did it come from the sky, like those other strange things we found? (in reference to the sketches)" inceptus 4, "maybe..." 5th inceptus (leader of the expidition) "quiet, whatever it is, its approaching..." As the Cryoeltan emmisary approaches, it stops some yards away and starts flashing lights, some in color, some in other spectrums they cannot see, however they were kind of able to sense some sort of electrical stuff, nothing that would be interpreted as Inceptus language. The leader of the group says to it "who...or what are you?. and why have you come here?" the strange bieng seems to be able to hear them but theres no response so the speaker repeats what he said, after a moment the strange creature does something to itself (the cryoeltan is actually accessing the computer and translation functions in his suit) and then some kind of garbled speak comes out (I'm going to intentionally misspell to simulate the words not bieng spoken correctly) "we cohm i<garbled>n pe<garbled>ce" (sorry I had to resort to cliches, can't really think of anything origional) the figure messes with its suit a little "we ahre friendly. weh ha<garbled>ve cohm to help you rise above your teckhnologichal level". And that was the start of the whole conversation, the Inceptus learn that the figure is a Cryoeltan with a vac-suit on and that they are part of an alliance and that they have come to help the inceptus rise above the stagnation of thier current technological level. however they are allowing a choice of which race will mentor them.

A: the Cryoeltans themselves

B: the Asta (a fellow aquatic race, crablike and industrious)

C: the Empire (an ancient machine intelligence, in other words, robots)

D: the Ctrioks (a wierdly eccentric humanoid type race)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2006, 12:56:53 pm by smjjames »

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: March 02, 2006, 02:05:25 pm »
the poll has been reset for a few hours now, so....

Offline Vivec

• Gauntlet Wizard
  • The truth has vanished into darkness...
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: March 02, 2006, 07:12:41 pm »
Yeah, Cryoeltons, woo!!!
Vivec, you're the best forum member ever.

Offline operaghost21

• Rush'n Attacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: March 02, 2006, 09:41:34 pm »
(It is time!) sorry, I had to kick the Torpals' ass this time Opera...

no problem, I knew it had to happen...just consider yourself lucky that you didn't fight them on the ground, or against their full forces! ;)
"You hate people!"
"But I love gatherings. Isn't that ironic?"
~Clerks
Quote from: Kaizer
THINGS TO DO:
Get quoted to a sig [ ]

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: March 03, 2006, 07:12:35 am »
With the voting going towards the Cryoeltans, they basically win, but since the Cryoeltans are the mentors and they are doing the uplifting, I'll wait for Krakow Sam as I'm not sure how to update.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: March 03, 2006, 02:01:06 pm »
Super Uplift update: The Cryoeltans have established a huge orbital complex and a network of floating platforms on the Inceptus homeworld and have begun a large scale mass breeding and education scheme to increase the Inceptus population. They have also helped the newly educated Inceptus build up industry and technology on the seafloor. It is predicted that the Inceptus should be a self-sufficient spacefaring power in one natural generation.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: March 03, 2006, 02:51:50 pm »
well, a natural generation would vary between species, but its probably about the same scale as a human generation.

Its about 15 years later since first contact and the uplifting, the now combined Reef and Jungle empire's population has grown somewhat and the entire population of this group which got uplifted make up 3/4 of the entire planets population, there are Incepti elsewhere on the planet but the rest of them are in small bands scattered around. As for those who got uplifted, they now have developed advanced digital age equivalent cities and already have begun exploration of most of thier planet, thier industrial and mining facilities are beginning to mature while at the same time the Cryoeltan are monitoring it to make sure the environmental impact is reduced as much as possible (pollution, habitat destruction). While their Cryoeltan mentors predict that they will become a self-sufficient starfaring race in about one generation, they still have years to go and some Inceptus still haven't entirely adjusted to to all this, although thier young will be born and grow up in this new era. The current generation, while its beginning to age, has already mostly accepted this new uplifting but aren't quite sure about leaving thier planet yet, however leaders of the younger generation are starting to rise in thier society and are seeing the potential opportunities out there. Some major projects are undergoing drafting, but only one will be done because of the immensity of them. Meanwhile, above them a massive orbital complex is bieng constructed by the Cryoeltan which is mostly finished.

A: Create a large ship that will carry a large number of settlers and supplies to a mars like planet further out in thier system(actually a little bigger than mars, but further away from the sun than our own mars is) There is water ice there and 99% of the water there is locked up in ice, the Cryoeltans have not detected any life forms, silicon, carbon or otherwise, however it is good practice because even with mentoring to prepare for it, they still have to actually have experience with it.

B: build a massive complex dedicated to research, this will give the Inceptus a good boost in developing thier own research paths. (the entire complex would have the area of Alaska but spread out somewhat to minimize impact on habitats)

C: Construct a huge space elevator and create an orbital ring off of that, it'll probably take up to 50 years to complete the ring, and while it will be mostly empty at first, it will pay off in the long term because as the population expands, they can take up residence there.

D: develop a massive interplanetary mining project to develop small colonies on moons and worlds in thier system and in the outer asteroid belt and start exploiting the resources. (I know that where there is a boom, there is eventually a bust, but it will take a while to happen)
« Last Edit: March 03, 2006, 03:24:01 pm by smjjames »

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: March 03, 2006, 03:24:30 pm »
ok, poll reset :)

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: March 03, 2006, 08:35:20 pm »
dang, if there is no tie breaker vote by tomorrow morning sometime I'm gonna have to coin toss it because I did say that they only have the resources to concentrate on one project and the two that ppl are voting for aren't exactly combineable.