2 (18.2%)
B
6 (54.5%)
C
3 (27.3%)
D
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Author Topic: Spore for the BBS: Revival of the Inceptus  (Read 34698 times)

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
Spore for the BBS: Revival of the Inceptus
« on: January 11, 2006, 11:38:29 am »
like I said in the subject line, I'm attempting to revive this. Krakow Sam suggested I could try to start this up again, so here we go.

I'm going to start with this entry, which is the third to the last entry holstiencow made in the old topic. The main reason why I'm starting with this one is because it went stupid and downhill right after that, plus I don't like the bipolar fish entry and the part where they discovered liquor (which wasn't the choice that won). Plus I feel like I can get a better start with this one. (read the origional story here: http://www.gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=1481.0 )

In a small cavern in the sub-tropics, a lone exiled Incepti comes across a strange kind of fish. These fish, at about the size of a horsefly, use small 'sacks' of bioluminescent paste that can heat up to tempatures of 211F. This lone Incepti stalls for a moment, and then decides to invent things the traditional Inceptan way: hitting it with a large rock. When the rock smites the small fish, the paste breaks out of its sack, mildly burning the Inceptus. This would have been enough to scare away any other presentient animal, but in this case it has only sparked the Incepti's interests. He then considers manipulating this paste the Human way: poking it with a stick. So our hero takes a seastick and valiantly prods the hot paste. It sticks onto the the seastick, so the Incepti tries to scrape it off. But when it comes off, the seastick had been charred. He does not understand this, but his interest waives around this time he decides to find another school to join. He carries a sample of the firepaste on a stick with him.

The school of Inceptus greet the newcomer with slight caution, as large amounts of heat are coming from the stick he is carrying. He gets into the school succesfully after a brief trial of hunting, and by the fall he is about halfway up the mating chain. However, that winter was an extremely harsh winter. A few children and elderly males die, but then one of them remember's the first time they met the exile. The exile is sent out to lead some hunters to more firepaste,  which they find and return. The exile didn't return, as he was killed by a shark-sized crustacean trying to buy some time for the hunters to escape. In memorium, the school decided to paint a scene of the exile fighting the crustacean using some of the firepaste the hunters brought. The paste didn't stick to the wall very well, however, and it came off within a couple of hours. But it charred the wall, giving it a different texture that the Inceptic nerves could easily differentiate from normal rock. And thus the first campfire and the first painting were created.

ok, lets see here about some non-crappy choices:

A: Develop spears and learn to use them

B: learn how to make baskets or bags out of plants (in short, teach them basketweaving)

C: develop thier dugouts into better shelters

D: learn how to cook meat.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2006, 11:49:41 am by smjjames »

Offline Vivec

• Gauntlet Wizard
  • The truth has vanished into darkness...
    • View Profile
Re: Spore for the BBS: Revival of the Inceptus
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2006, 04:43:49 pm »
A - it's the most logical choice...
Vivec, you're the best forum member ever.

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2006, 10:51:54 am »
well, I wouldn't exactly call this spore story revived yet but its got a pulse.

Anyway, D won

It is some time later and it is now the middle of the spring and a warm seasonal current is washing from the continential shallows to the offshore ilands that are the Inceptus's home. this current brings a bounty of food with it and plenty of opportunities to hunt. One afternoon after a long day of hunting, the clan is cutting and preparing meat when an argument breaks out between two young adult males over whose kill was what and how many kills, etc. At first theres some yelling (in thier language anyway) then they get physical and grapple each other for a minute or two before a few other adults pull them apart. After about 10 minutes things calm down and they realize they had knocked some meat that another hunter was carrying onto a pile of firepaste. One of the leading hunters snatches the meat off of the firepaste and scolds the two adolescents.

Later that night the same leader was inventoring the stash, he looked at the meat which had fallen onto the firepaste earlier, it looked different and felt different, he took a bite out of the meat and found it to taste alot better than uncooked meat. He shared this with the others and soon they and others started throwing meat on the firepaste to cook it.

A: make thier dugouts (which is just a hole in the ground) into a proper shelter

B: develop and learn to use spears

C: develop a method of food storage (I'll probably have them develop weaving for baskets and stuff)

D: develop and refine thier communication method (I know they communicate through tiny static pellets, but that doesn't seem realistic so I kinda want to develop it into something that sounds more realistic, think electric eels.)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2006, 01:00:08 pm by smjjames »

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2006, 01:26:33 pm »
not alot of communication on this thread, but I guess its starting to revive...

It is now about a generation later and right now some of them are on a hunt. At first the hunt goes well, but when a Baracc (a large crablike crustacean that the Inceptus are wary of because even though the Baracc eat mostly plants, they are very territorial and can severely injure an Inceptus, but they are a little cowardly and several inceptus stabbing one can drive it off. They usually live deeper down below the reef where the Inceptus only occasionally hunt, but occasionally one may be found in or on the edge of the reef) surprises a young male who was covering the rear of the spread out group and corners the young male. The young hunter in panic makes an erratic electric burst at the Baracc which misses and then it swung a claw at the hunter, barely missing him, then in a surge of a mix of adrenaline and fear he tries to fire off several bursts from his hornhand (if we want to call it that :P ) but somehow sends off an electrical field that stuns and disorients the Baracc. By this time the other hunters had already rushed to help and started stabbing at the Baracc's hard shell when the young hunter did the strange electrical thing, having been dazed by the electrical shock and getting confused from the other hunters it gets too much or the creatures tiny brain and skitters off to shelter. Shortly after the ambush, he recovered and tried to talk using the pellet thing, but found that he couldn't, instead it was some sort of electrical field, yet the others could understand him.

Later that night after the hunters had rested, the young male tried to explain what happened. The elder thought that it must take a great deal of concentration to unlock the ability, but the elders decided to try. Soon they succeeded and spread the ability through the clan and eventually to the whole of the Inceptus species.

A: invent and learn how to use spears

B: develop weaving

C: develop new methods of building shelters

D: develop a form of music.

I know I re-used some choices, but the last voting went heavily towards the fixing the communication thing.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2006, 01:41:24 pm »
Bah, they dont need spears, they have electricity. i'm voting for shelter, itll help them weather the winter better.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Detoxicated

• Pack M.U.L.E.
  • Spirit of Monkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2006, 06:08:45 pm »
I say D, they need some social interaction, besides their music might inspire them for greater things, also i would like to see electro music
OK, both of you die and let us know what happens.

Offline Mr. Wizard

• Karate Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2006, 07:39:35 pm »
D music will allow for social identities in the future

Offline Caltrop

• Defender Devotee
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2006, 11:23:18 pm »
D, because music is awesome!
Spore RPG: http://www.gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=2069.0

STRAWBERRYCLOCK IS KING OF THE PORTAL

Offline lemurbouy

• Defender Devotee
  • oh my...
    • View Profile
    • Leeman's Livejournal!
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2006, 11:36:50 pm »
C I believe is the best choice for this race to develop more of a community feel plus having more stable homes allows for many non-spear options later on in terms of whether they remain permanent homes or take to a nomadic lifestyle.  -leeman

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2006, 08:29:08 am »
ok, building better shelters wins.

One day many years later the Inceptus were minding thier own business that night when a hurricane rolled through the reefs and pounded the region for two days while the Inceptus dug in against the currents. While they have had hurricanes before, this was a particularily severe one and devastated parts of the reef (the reef would recover of course). Even though they have gone through this before, one particularily bright Inceptus who would be considered a genius of thier time had an idea to help his people by building something that would shelter them against the elements (I know they are in the water so theres not many elements to protect against, but I'm sure you guys know what I mean) and predators.

While helping to clear out some debribs from the communal area, he saw that the branches of a particularily common coral which are sticklike with short branches appearing along its length could form an interlocking structure which is potentially strong (this kind of coral is one of the most common species in thier region and a fast growing type, so no worry about reef destruction as they don't need many, besides some was damaged in the storm), but they still needed some kind of covering. Then he had an idea from what they typically use as bedding which is a type of kelp with large fronds that they strip up, the fronds are large, up to 3 feet long and 6 inches wide. After some experimentation he came up with something that would resemble a wide teepee, but with long coral pieces and kelp fronds wrapped around the structure.

A: somehow have the females give live birth without having to be cannibalized (I know Holstiencow had it his way, but he abandoned it and so I'm free to do what I want. on a plus note, this will add more adults that would be productive to thier civilization. and they will keep thier electric ability.)

B: invent weaving

C: develop a form of music

D: try and domesticate something

I don't have alot of creative ideas right now, sorry :P
« Last Edit: January 15, 2006, 08:37:33 am by smjjames »

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2006, 08:50:01 am »
I'm voting C. Make them creative without being spiritual. Like polar opposites of the Cryoeltans (religious silicon nutjobs!)
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Detoxicated

• Pack M.U.L.E.
  • Spirit of Monkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2006, 08:55:14 am »
C They need electrical music
OK, both of you die and let us know what happens.

Offline Caltrop

• Defender Devotee
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2006, 09:06:59 am »
A. I'd rather not have pointless deaths in Inceptus society.
Spore RPG: http://www.gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=2069.0

STRAWBERRYCLOCK IS KING OF THE PORTAL

Offline lemurbouy

• Defender Devotee
  • oh my...
    • View Profile
    • Leeman's Livejournal!
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2006, 10:02:46 am »
D. Now that they've started to better master their environment, I think the next logical step is for them to try and reign in the creatures around them. -leeman

Offline Vivec

• Gauntlet Wizard
  • The truth has vanished into darkness...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2006, 11:22:18 am »
C! And someone who said they wanted C didn't vote.
Vivec, you're the best forum member ever.