Author Topic: Simplistic?  (Read 4344 times)

Offline Siever

• Fire Truck Driver
  • The Mandude
    • View Profile
Simplistic?
« on: April 09, 2005, 12:24:35 pm »
    I just heard about this game yesterday and have been researching almost non-stop for a while.  I thoght it was odd that more sites didnt make such a bid deal out of it.  Anyway, from what I have read and heard, Each phase sounds, as of current info obviously, fairly simplistic and goal- oriendeted. Kind of like, in the beginning, you just have to be able to eat the other amoebas.   Simplistic, but no without reason, it being the begginning of life, but like later in the game, in the land parts, Wright said things along the line of, Your goal in this stage is to.... Like in the city part you basically have to create buildings, and then interact with other cultures.  I dunno.  Some of this probably isn't making all too much sense since  tend to ramble on a lot.  Well, anyway, of I stated any non-factual info could osmeone correct me?

"THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS"
        -Tom Morello's guitar
http://www.costofwar.com/

Offline Therlun

• Fire Truck Driver
  • Hope and Hate
    • View Profile
Re: Simplistic?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2005, 01:57:29 pm »
looking at the huge timespan Spore will try to cover im pretty sure it is very simplistic in all areas.

if it would be complex, balancing would be a nightmare.
an AI that acts cleverly in such different enviroments, and with a complex competition system would also be the first of its kind...

the core concept of Spore is more creativity-based, then goal-based.
we'll see if it succeeds.

Change is being.

Offline Scipion

• Stargate Superstar
  • Returned from the grave, now with more immunities!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2005, 07:35:12 pm »
You can only make certain things so complex. Eating another amoeba can relaly only be eating another amoeba. However I think once you gain sentience the game turns into a whole new sport. In the tribal stage I imagine it being like a normal RTS where you control the individual creatures giving them orders and having them do chores. Than when you get to the City stage it probably plays a lot like a mix of SimCity and an RTS with with RTS part mainly being the control and manufacture of vehicles. Finally the Galaxay stage will just blow you rmind and you won't be able to play th egame cause you will be in a Spore induced coma.
-Just like Gaming Steve all of my ideas, suggestions, and comments are merely edjucated guesses. These are based on prior experience and current released info.-

Offline Siever

• Fire Truck Driver
  • The Mandude
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2005, 07:40:07 am »
Lol.  I just mean that so far, the means to advance to another stage seem like one option, and thats it.  Another thing I am kinda wondering about, is that when finishing a stage, are you done with it for good?  I can see that when your in tribal mode you wouldn't be mainly controlling one spore (like in the stage before it), but it would be neat if you could just control one at any point in the game for scouting purposes or whatnot.  Also, From what I've read, it kinda seems like when you get a ufo you can't return to your home planet and do the sim city part of the game.  Just wondering if anyone else got the same impression.
"THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS"
        -Tom Morello's guitar
http://www.costofwar.com/

Offline snappledude21

• Space Invaders Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2005, 03:26:05 pm »
he said (will) something to the effect of the game being fully scalable? or something like that to the effect that you could go up and down the ladder at any point in the game. how that works, don't know, but that seems to be what he said.

ON that thought oooo. Ok if you can do as he said, you could create all your own competition on your own planet by being able to go up and down the ladder.  Say you develop a civilization of one shape, let them move up, then go back down, go to some leftover primitive version of your same species and keep them the same shape, but take them in a different cultural direction.  Let me know if anyone else gets what i mean.

mike

Wulf

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2005, 06:51:49 pm »
It seems that it would be a fairly simple task (compaired to actually making the engine) to implement you going back and forward through the stages. My guess is that you gain the technology to mess with the cells later on so that you can create new dudes within your current game.

Offline craigp

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
    • Perkwiki
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2005, 08:41:12 am »
It seems that it would be a fairly simple task (compaired to actually making the engine) to implement you going back and forward through the stages. My guess is that you gain the technology to mess with the cells later on so that you can create new dudes within your current game.

This was what he implied during the talk.

-Craig

Offline syphonbyte

• Moon Patroller
  • You know what the payment is...
    • View Profile
    • The Village of Fools
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2005, 10:25:27 am »
I'm pretty sure you'll be able to start all over if you really want to, and move back and forth and such.